Fuel problem

Andy138

Hi guys,new member here,i wonder if anyone can help me,i have a 1989 fiat ducato campervan. Im having problems starting turns over fine but does not fire up.if i pull of the fuel pipe off the carb and turn the engine over no fuel comes out,any ideas.

Take an ht lead off a spark plug and check you have a spark. I am away from internet tomorrow so cant be much help. But if no spark from ht lead check you have 12 volts at the lt side of the coil with ignition on.

Andy138 - 2018-06-03 12:37 PM

Reference to my last thread,ive found out that im not getting a spark to any of the plugs,would the problem be the coil or the distributor, how to i check.

Copied from follow on thread for clarity.

Keith (Assistant Mod).

Use a multi meter to check for 12 volts at the live side of the coil then keep the points open by slipping a piece of paper between them and check for voltage at the distributor side of the coil. Obviously with ignition turned ON.

You could also disconnect the coil and check for continuity between both low voltage terminals and also low voltage to high tension terminal. And lack of continuity equals a duff coil.

If you 'flick' the points open and closed you should see a faint spark across them.

When the points last replaced? They do wear and need replacing every 6,000 to 12,000 miles.

Keith.

"keep the points open"

That assumes that the vehicle has a points ignition system - I would have thought an '89 van would be electronic & if that is the case then extreme care should be taken around the ignition system. Higher HT voltages & energy levels on electronic cystems can be lethal.

Nigel B

Archived