Rear window fell out!!!!

michaelmorris

We're currently pottling around Brittany. We pulled in to a car park by the sea for lunch and opened the rear picture window. About 19 minutes later the plastic window fell out of the metal rail holding it at the top. Luckily the window stays stopped it crashing to the ground. (Phew).

We've managed to get the 'glass' back into the rail and it all seems secure now, but won't be opening it again this holiday. :-( .

The 'glass' appears to have been held in place by a black rubbery mastic. Has anyone got any suggestions on the best way to mend this when we get back to blighty in two weeks time?

Thanks.

Guest pelmetman

Just re read your post and saw the picture ;-) .......

My guess is you opened it to the maximum which is prolly how they fit the windows :D ..........

pelmetman - 2018-06-03 5:30 PM

My guess is you opened it to the maximum which is prolly how they fit the windows :D ..........

I think you may have misunderstood my original description of the incident. The clear plastic window fell out of the lower part of the top hinge mechanism. This was (not very well) bonded in place with a black mastic.

Guest pelmetman
michaelmorris - 2018-06-03 7:28 PM

I think you may have misunderstood my original description of the incident. The clear plastic window fell out of the lower part of the top hinge mechanism. This was (not very well) bonded in place with a black mastic.

So your window hinge mechanism is stuck not screwed? 8-) ........

I guess its a case of just getting some Aluminium to plastic Sikoflex ;-) .........

Here's their guide ;-) ...........

file:///C:/Users/horac/Downloads/Bonding%20and%20Sealing%20Plastic%20Windows.pdf

It's important to use the right Sikaflex for the job.......as I know from experience :'( ...........

pelmetman - 2018-06-03 7:50 PM

michaelmorris - 2018-06-03 7:28 PM

So your window hinge mechanism is stuck not screwed? 8-) ........

I guess its a case of just getting some Aluminium to plastic Sikoflex ;-) .........

Here's their guide ;-) ...........

file:///C:/Users/horac/Downloads/Bonding%20and%20Sealing%20Plastic%20Windows.pdf

It's important to use the right Sikaflex for the job.......as I know from experience :'( ...........

Thanks

The hinge mechanism is screwed to the van.

You will most likely find that if you disconnect the window stays and lift the window high eneough it simply unclips at the hinge. Refitting is obviously the reverse.

It would make repair easier as you could do it on a table, etc.

Keith.

This YouTube video-clip demonstrates a new Polyplastic window being installed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKGMSeZaS_M

About 1.39 minutes into the video the window itself is shown being attached to the metal ‘hinge strip’ screwed to the side of the leisure-vehicle. As advised above, the window is just lifted to a high angle and ‘hooked’ into the hinge-strip.

Very Hi-Tech!

I notice at around 2.35 minutes he gets a bit over zealous - clearly that screw has a chewed up head now.

After a second or two of consternation, he carries on - albeit with a slightly less aggressive approach :-D

As the old saying goes - 'if it looks right it is right' but perhaps that's why nearly every locking point I see on this type of window is as pi**ed as the proverbial hard-cart, and seldom a vertical screw in sight!

The news back from Polyplastic isn't good. They say that the polycarbonate is bonded to the aluminium hinge strip at the factory with a special high pressure technique, so a DIY solution isn't possible.

One idea I've had is a using sikaflex and drill holes along the aluminium hinge rail with corresponding slightly oversized holes in the polycarbonate (to allow for differential expansion). Then put pop rivets in the holes to take the weight.

Does this sound feasible?

The alternative seems to be a new window :-(

They may well use a special bonding process, but that's not to say a DIY solution isn't possible.

Use the right Sikaflex/PU and you will be fine. Just do your homework regarding priming either substrate - although in this case I doubt it's necessary, other than a good clean of the surfaces involved.

Just gloop it on and stop worrying.

With your oversized hole idea, you are risking 'loading up' the polycarbonate with a mechanical fixing and creating stress fractures - unless that is, you're just going to poke the rivets in as some kind of half-ars*d effort at retaining the window should the sealant fail!

Further update.

Looking at the window again I see that it was actually made by EECO. I gave them a ring and they said the bonding agent I should use is stuff called Rotabond 2000, prepping the surfaces with Acrysol degreaser first. They say they can't understand how the window would have fallen out as this stuff should be more than sufficient and they regularly use it on larger windows than ours.

When we get back I'll look into this further.

Archived