Swift Kontiki - annoying electrical issue

Emo

I have a 2011 Swift Kontiki 649 which has developed a problem with the 12 volt habitation electrics. Everything works fine when connected to 230v mains electric. Disconnect from the mains onto lleisure battery and nothing works. Using the control panel to select vehicle battery as the source and everything powers up. Switch back to leisure battery and off it goes again. Just to confuse things start the engine and neither the fridge or radio will work . I appreciate that 12v habitation equipment is isolated when the engine is running but the radio and fridge should work - they have done in the past

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

It would seem that you have no habitation (leisure) battery connected.

Here are some suggestions.

Check that battery connectors are secure.

You should be able to check the habitation battery voltage on the control panel.

If not and you have a multimeter, check the habitation battery voltage with engine stopped and with the engine running. The voltage should be higher with the engine running

If no difference, look for a faulty 40A fuse close to the battery

How old is the leisure battery? (An old and faulty battery can cause damage to the alternator by drawing too much current.)

Is it possible that the battery has become heavily discharged, while the vehicle was in storage? Fully discharging the battery will shorten its life.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the quick response- The control panel is showing that the leisure batteries are charged (2 fitted) It was serviced in May and passed a check. Whilst in storage it is constantly connected to mains. Must admit I haven’t checked the 40A fuse working on the principle that it operates when connected to mains nor have I checked battery connections -. I started at ECU side.

Hi Emo,

Unfortunately with the extra information that you have provided, it is begining to look as though your problem may be in the ECU. I can postulate a faulty relay (either contacts or operating winding) which is failing to connect the habitation battery. This would seem to be a professional repair job.

Is it possible to inspect the rear of the ECU, and check connector P2, which connects the habitation battery? This is the connector with two brown and two black wires. Look for sigms of overheating or discolouration. It is possible that a faulty connection here would allow the battery voltage to be indicated, but not carry any significant power.

Further Sargent have a technical help line, and would repair a faulty ECU, for a consideration of course.

aandncaravanservices are a frequent contributor to this forum and have a lot of experience in repairing MH electrical systems.

Alan

Emo - 2018-06-25 9:45 PM

The control panel is showing that the leisure batteries are charged.

But WHEN is the panel showing them as charged and what is the voltage of them?

If you are taking the reading with EHU connected then all you will be displaying is the output voltage of the charger and NOT the true voltage of the batteries.

Start by using a Digital Multi Meter (you can buy one for less than a tenner if you don't have one) and measure the Voltage (DC range on your meter) directly across the leisure battery terminals with EHU disconnected and control panel turned off and after waiting for 30 minutes for the voltage to stabilise.

Keith.

Emo - 2018-06-26 3:57 PM

Keith - As the leisure batteries were checked during service in May I have assumed they’re ok but as I have a multimeter I will check this out

BUT.... everything apparently worked in May and it doesn't now, so start with the basics!

Ok, so

Both leisure batteries showing 12.6v

ECU terminal P2 isn’t showing any damage and connector isn’t loose

Power getting to P2 connector

Once again disconnect from mains and no 12v leisure battery supply but still working from 12v vehicle battery

Sargent response was check the 20a fuse - all fuses ok

Any further advice greatlfully received or recommendations for a auto electrician who understands MH electrics in NE area!

Can you measure the voltage at P2 when all connected and selector set to leisure battery? You may have to 'back probe' the connector to get a measurement but be careful not to short any connections.

If this is not reading battery voltage then check the voltage at the 20 A fuse under the same conditions.

You may have a corroded or poor connector which allows a voltage reading with no load but fails as soon as put it under load. It could also be a poor earth!

Keith.

Emo,

As you probably appreciate, I think that what I and other contributors are trying to achieve, is to find the cause of your problem so that it can be repaired with minimum expense. In that context faulty batteries may be the least expensive option.

We want to eliminate everything else before blaming the ECU, which could be expensive to repair or replace.

While it may involve removing the ECU again, I cannot do other than agree with Keith's suggestion to check the voltage at P2 under load, as I have previously made a similar suggestion.

Billggski seems to favour faulty batteries. That may be the case, but it would be sensible to prove it before spending a significant amount of cash, so if the measurements suggested by Keith, both give low readings, try a voltage measurement directly across the habitation battery terminals with it selected for use. If that looks bad, is it possible to connect an alternative battery, (for example a small car battery) in the habitation battery position?

If the above line of testing fails to find any fault, I am afraid that it may be back to your starting point, the ECU, but there may be other suggestions.

Alan

Archived