engine upgrade?

fesspark

Your choice is a plug in "chip" or a re-map of the engine control unit (ecu). Both about £250-£300 for a good one.

I had re-maps on previous cars which were for performance, but picked up a second hand chip from ebay, and thought I would give it a try on my 2009 2.3 Fiat engine.

I must say I'm very surprised, smoother, more power on hills and much improved mpg. 10-15%.

It can be removed when I sell, unlike remaps, but beware cheap units that just boost the fuel pressure.

I’m not sure about the applicability of a ‘tuning box’ to a Ducato Euro 6 motor - nowadays remapping would be the more normal approach.

It might be worth knowing what tyre-size fesspark’s Burstner has, as this will affect the vehicle’s overall gearing. If the motorhome is built on a Ducato ‘light’ chassis and has the 16”-diameter wheel option, performance in the higher gears may seem a mite lacklustre with the 130 powerplant.

The Ducato X290 ‘light’ chassis 16”-wheel option has been discussed here in the past. Received wisdom is that the vehicle’s final-drive ratio is a compromise, resulting in a Ducato X290 with 15” wheels being a mite under-geared and a Ducato X290 with 16” wheels being a mite over-geared. I’ve conjectured in the past that, in the latter case, if the 130 motor is fitted there will potentially be a negative impact on how the vehicle drives, particularly on the ability to hold higher gears on hills.

Assuming that your Burstner’s 130 motor is producing the outputs it should, there’s not much you can do to address ‘over-gearing’ other than to adjust your driving style so that you use lower gears more often than you might like.

If you chose to have the motor remapped, you’d void the Fiat warranty and, as some Euro 6 Ducatos are being reported as having a worryingly large thirst for oil, I suggest you put ‘tuning’ the motor on the back-burner at least until the motor has fully run in.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-01 8:17 AMThe Ducato X290 ‘light’ chassis 16”-wheel option has been discussed here in the past. Received wisdom is that the vehicle’s final-drive ratio is a compromise, resulting in a Ducato X290 with 15” wheels being a mite under-geared and a Ducato X290 with 16” wheels being a mite over-geared. I’ve conjectured in the past that, in the latter case, if the 130 motor is fitted there will potentially be a negative impact on how the vehicle drives, particularly on the ability to hold higher gears on hills.Assuming that your Burstner’s 130 motor is producing the outputs it should, there’s not much you can do to address ‘over-gearing’ other than to adjust your driving style so that you use lower gears more often than you might like.If you chose to have the motor remapped, you’d void the Fiat warranty and, as some Euro 6 Ducatos are being reported as having a worryingly large thirst for oil, I suggest you put ‘tuning’ the motor on the back-burner at least until the motor has fully run in.

Could you not just change the tyre profile to make the effective diameter larger or smaller?

fesspark - 2018-07-01 2:15 PM

?????????????? what does the tyres piece mean??????? Fesspark

Change to a different width and profile of 16" tyre to reduce the rolling radius so it is nearer that of the standard 15" tyre.

But, you must check the load index of any alternative tyre is suitable for your MH's weight.

What are the sizes of the standard 15" and 16" tyres and I'll have a look for examples.

Keith.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-03 8:02 AM

The standard sizes are 215/70 R15CP or 225/75 R16CP

It won’t be practicable to keep the 16” wheels and fit tyres with a sufficiently lower profile to reduce the overall gearing enough to be worthwhile and still retain an adequate load index.

Thanks for the info Derek,

That was my fear, hence my caveat!

Keith.

Archived