Toilet Blue

hallii

Aldi are selling " Diamond Blue" at £5.99 for 2.5 ltrs. I have used it since last year and found it to be very good. It is thinner than the usual stuff and does have formaldehyde in it so not for those who are eco friendly.

Best bit is, it only needs about half the usual amount, and no smells, even in the Spanish sun.

My seals have not dissolved:-)

H

hallii - 2018-06-29 2:02 PM

Aldi are selling " Diamond Blue" at £5.99 for 2.5 ltrs. I have used it since last year and found it to be very good. It is thinner than the usual stuff and does have formaldehyde in it so not for those who are eco friendly.

Best bit is, it only needs about half the usual amount, and no smells, even in the Spanish sun.

H

Also worth remembering that there are some campsites which won't accept ' blue ' chemicals.

:-|

hallii - 2018-06-29 2:02 PM

H

The Range sells exactly the same stuff all the time.

It always amazes me that people will spend umpteen thousands on a Motorhome and look to save a measly few quid a year on cut price supplies?

Maybe it is OK long term, I don't know, but what I do know is that using Elsan or Thetford blue for many years I never once had to replace any seals on my loo.

Dependable doo dah dumping - you can't beat the feeling!

On the other hand - why pay more than you need to?

Are the savings worth it - only you can decide?

We found the smell of the "blue" chemicals worse than the smell they were trying to mask, especially in warmer weather. We use nappy detergent powder and a drop of eucalyptus oil, much easier on the nostrils. Cheers,

When I did my pre-clinical training in the late sixties our Anatomy course was the dissection of cadaver head, neck and arm. They had been preserved or pickled in Formalin and we wore little or no protective gear other than white cotton lab coats which quickly became contaminated. Obviously as students, hygiene was never a priority. On hot days the non-air conditioned dissecting room was an unattractive place and one’s eyes stung with the fumes. We wore no gloves.

This practice is no longer undertaken and I often reflect on the crazy things that we did that, at one time were considered normal, but I’m unaware of any increase in cancer or other diseases in our medical or dental age group.

Yes its crazy what went on in the old days with asbestos and lack of health and safety. Such alot of things cross over on these threads. I think it was the luck of the draw how healthy you find yourself to be today as even though air was cleaner (possibly?) And there were little in the way of plastics, pesticides, carconogenic cleaning products and the huge amount of traffic. There was also less caution in industry (leading to extreme cases of harm done to the population) and more smoking. The motor industry is killing thousands every year. Burying information about the harmfull effects of diesel. And fiddling carbon emissions data (vw). In a consumer society we are susceptable to hysteria and hype and the mad rush to get down lidls before someone else buys it before us. I think i for one was much happier before the advertising agencies became so sophisiticated. But i think the battle for what we buy has gone one step further and is now a battle for what we think. Macdonalds reasurring us that what we put in our mouths in actually chicken. And facebook apologising for selling our data. There is no protection for us as consumers. Just a case of 'hands up - i did it and im sorry'.

Geeco - 2018-06-30 1:43 AM

We found the smell of the "blue" chemicals worse than the smell they were trying to mask, especially in warmer weather. We use nappy detergent powder and a drop of eucalyptus oil, much easier on the nostrils. Cheers,

We used to use Acdo to soak nappies in, I wonder if they still sell that.

In this part of the world the leading brand is "Nappisan" not sure if available in UK/ Europe. All the major supermarkets have a private label option. It works very effectively and is much more cost effective than the "blue". My Brother in law  has been using it in his caravan for 10 years. If you think about it, dirty nappies ( the old style cotton variety) did present a challenge to the chemical cleaner in the bucket. It did work so why not in a cassette! Cheers,

Archived