Tap replacement.

Pete-B

Hi, Having just had to replace the sink tap in our van which is all made from plastic, I got to thinking,. I'm certainly no expert in plumbing, but using 15mm to 12mm converters which can be for use with plastic or copper why couldn't we use a more reliable domestic tap?

I know they are heavier but apart from that why not, or is it they perhaps wouldn't work with just 15lbs of pressure?

Be interesting to know.

Domestic taps come in high or low pressure variants, so you would probably need to choose a low pressure variant.

MH kitchen taps often have a microswitch incorporated, to operate the pump - make sure yours does have one of those before trying to replace with domestic.

Hi Stuart, Thanks for the reply.

My tap doesn't need the pressure switch which came with it and the one I took out didn't have one at all I'm told there's a pressure valve or something built into the system.

I presume you will need a mixer tap to blend the hot and cold water flow, in which case most mixer taps appear to have identical paths for hot and for cold and as the pressure in a motorhome system is usually the same for both hot and cold it shouldn't much matter what tap you use other than domestic taps tend to be a lot bigger and bulkier than motorhome taps. As long as there is enough space to connect the two tails (often a lot longer on a domestic mixer tap) to hot and cold supplies it should be simple enough - in theory, although what it will look like remains to be seen!

Perhaps you are just unlucky as in over 50 years of motorhoming I never once had a tap fail!

Would something like this work as a replacement...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cara-L180-Mixer-Tap-Chrome-MAG00050-Caravan-Motorhome/182726504789?epid=2197567896&hash=item2a8b593155:g:TXcAAOSwlGxZmvLO

I actually managed to buy two from the surplus stall at the recent AutoTrail open day as one of ours had slight pitting and another flaking lacquer, but at 14 years old I'm not complaining about quality!

Keith.

PS And it comes with Flexi pigtails.

Archived