so lovely to see a m/ h flouting the rules

gp1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stvekay - 2018-07-20 5:38 PM

I wasn't meant to be argumentative in my response to Tracker, just love the French ways of obeying signs.

Steve

I didn't take it as argumentative, I leave that to the regulars, but thanks for the kind thought, but if you do want to disagree please feel free to say so as I won't be offended!

Welcome to the Ministry of Arguments, is that the short introductory five minute argument you want or do you want the full hour?

Life's too short to be uptight - it exercises more muscles to smile than it does to frown!

Hi,

The individual must suffer for the good of the many. But that might be considered to be "ganging up" on that individual.

When the DVLA visitors car-park was full, visitors would park in the cul-de-sac opposite, which happened to be a small estate of "sheltered" houses. The local Councillor was constantly visiting DLVA Reception, asking for the offending vehicles to be moved. I never noticed any signs (maybe I'm blind) restricting parking in that street.

Good evening Ladies and gentlemen,

I am not going to start carrying a Stihl saw around with me to cut through the height barriers , my van is full to the brim with stuff . you will just have think of something else.

Hi yes i like trackers point of view. In my defence i am just getting used to motorhomes and never did any actual sightseeing in my camper so didnt go to beauty spots and tourist type places. The only times weve been away this summer in our m/h was to sites and my partner took her car so driving into that lovely car park was basically as a motorist. I realised this is not motorhoming as most see it on here so wasnt actuallythinking about this problem from a motorhome owner but as a car driver. I realise now that if we had been coming to see a lovely place for the day and had been turned away because of hieght barriers it would have ruined our visit. So apologies to everyone for not thinking as a motorhome user. But a motorhome / car user. I am sure it is a totally different experience travelling with just one vehicle and having to rely on that to get you to places and why it is so important that height barriers must not be introduced. Sorry.

goldi - 2018-07-20 9:26 PM

I am not going to start carrying a Stihl saw around with me to cut through the height barriers , my van is full to the brim with stuff . you will just have think of something else.

We were locked into a car park in Germany many years ago when a guy locked a chain across the only entrance.

I carried lightweight bolt cutters in the van for years and only ever used them once!! I did think of using the tow rope (which we also used to carry!) but the bolt cutters were quieter and surprisingly effective!!

Having given this alot of thought i think the best thing i can come up with is party. A BBQ when done tastefully and within reason is a very sober and wholesome thing. And no one could ever say that it was an antisocial or innapropriate thing to do. When it becomes a BBQ party then it should be stopped. Same for motorhomes. When a single vehicle stops at a place it should be allowed. But when there is a motorhome party (i.e. more than one) it should be stopped. Parties are what the authorities are trying to ban. Not barbeques or motorhomes. So basically we have to fight for the right to not party.

747 - 2018-07-19 10:45 PM

If they had their awning out, they were not parking. They were Camping. 8-)

You should not look up to people like that, they are the ones responsible for height barriers going up.

Totally agree. Anyone who honestly thinks that rules are there to be broken as a way of getting back at 'The man' needs to stop thinking only of themselves and start looking at the bigger picture..

gp1 - 2018-07-21 1:32 AM

Parties are what the authorities are trying to ban. Not barbeques or motorhomes. So basically we have to fight for the right to not party.

That is not my understanding of it.

There is a lot of abuse by so called 'travellers', the dross of society, who abuse land and property at every opportunity and leave a trail of rubbish and misery wherever they go and as a side effect decent motorhomers suffer with restricted access and no go areas.

The rights and wrongs and lack of available land for the dross looks unlikely to change, and frankly why should honest taxpayers subsidise these people who take all and give nothing, so I don't see the position of restrictions for motorhomers changing in the forseeable future.

Allied to that is the perception by local authorities and central government that all motorhomes should be herded into pens (aka sites) at night to protect the rest of society from those evil abusers who deign to enjoy their very expensive motorhomes and you can see why so many cross the channel for their holidays.

Having given this alot of thought i think the best thing i can come up with is party. A BBQ when done tastefully and within reason is a very sober and wholesome thing. And no one could ever say that it was an antisocial or innapropriate thing to do. When it becomes a BBQ party then it should be stopped. Same for motorhomes. When a single vehicle stops at a place it should be allowed. But when there is a motorhome party (i.e. more than one) it should be stopped. Parties are what the authorities are trying to ban. Not barbeques or motorhomes. So basically we have to fight for the right to not party.

I think it is far simpler than that. Consider: motorhomes are large vehicles. Their owners like to take them to places where they can take advantage of a view, preferably without obstruction, and stay there as long as they like.

In doing this, especially if joined by a number of other motorhomers, they spoil the view for non-motorhomers. In some cases a wall of motorhomes develops between a parking area and the view, so that no-one else can see what they went to see. In other cases, the motorhomes are merely parked for convenience (e.g. when visiting a supermarket), but as motorhomes usually take more than a single car parking space (often effectively sterilising four car spaces). Some, unfortunately, push the point further by wanting to stop overnight, and add insult to injury by leaving their waste drains open while resident, so that the car park stinks the next day. In other cases, the more barbaric variety have been seen emptying toilet cassettes into the sea, the odd ditch, down public toilets, etc. etc.

The results of all these acts of selfishness have been appeals from residents to local authorities to "do something" to prevent the continuance of the abuse, or the supermarket chain acts in the interests of the car driving majority of its customers (and its turnover) to maintain available as many parking spaces as possible.

Thus, the restrictions and barriers have arisen as the best available response to unthinking, selfish, unreasonable motorhomers.

No-one does anyone else any favours by flaunting these restrictions, since the next move will be more draconian counter-measures. In effect, it is an arms race, that motorhomers can only, in the long run, lose. People just have to come to terms with the fact that, in an increasingly crowded world, they don't have a God given right to park their motorhome wherever suits them, merely because they have spent several 10s of thousands of £££ to buy it.

Tracker - 2018-07-23 12:57 PM..................….and you can see why so many cross the channel for their holidays.

In the mistaken belief that there are no such restrictions there! Not so many, undoubtedly, but they are there at most of the tourist hotspots, even in countries with population densities far lower than that of the UK, and even in countries that make generous provision for travellers. Only motorhomers think motorhomes are a beneficial addition to landscape, seascapes, cityscapes or whatever! The sad truth is they are an eyesore that few other people want to behold.

Groups of people can turn up in numbers to a beauty spot with their disposable BBQs and booze, make a complete mess, then disappear. The effect on the place is shocking but there are not calls to get it banned. Some places are well known as Dogging spots but nobody mobilises the Authorities to get it stopped.

Turn up in a Motorhome and soner o later a height barrier will go up. *-)

Tracker - 2018-07-23 12:57 PM
gp1 - 2018-07-21 1:32 AM Parties are what the authorities are trying to ban. Not barbeques or motorhomes. So basically we have to fight for the right to not party.
That is not my understanding of it.There is a lot of abuse by so called 'travellers', the dross of society, who abuse land and property at every opportunity and leave a trail of rubbish and misery wherever they go and as a side effect decent motorhomers suffer with restricted access and no go areas.The rights and wrongs and lack of available land for the dross looks unlikely to change, and frankly why should honest taxpayers subsidise these people who take all and give nothing, so I don't see the position of restrictions for motorhomers changing in the forseeable future.Allied to that is the perception by local authorities and central government that all motorhomes should be herded into pens (aka sites) at night to protect the rest of society from those evil abusers who deign to enjoy their very expensive motorhomes and you can see why so many cross the channel for their holidays.
Sadly there are also many motorhomers who abuse the system, so it's not just travellers. I sit in my mother's flat on Marine Parade at Dover and watch motorhomers emptying grey water & even toilet casettes into the drains & bushes of the well kept gardens and sometimes even missing out on the casettes and using the bushes as a toilet. It is inevitable that the minority of idiots will spoil things for the majority. 

747 - 2018-07-19 10:45 PM

If they had their awning out, they were not parking. They were Camping. 8-)

You should not look up to people like that, they are the ones responsible for height barriers going up.

Well said......people like this ruin it for the rest of us, if they were parked up for one night discreetly and moved on the next day fair enough but when the camping tables and chairs come out that's when the locals backs get rubbed up the wrong way and the next you know barriers get erected and then none if us can use the car park at all.......typical selfish idiots.

Adiebt - 2018-07-23 3:38 PMI sit in my mother's flat on Marine Parade at Dover and watch motorhomers emptying grey water & even toilet casettes Everyman needs a hobby :-D

The view from the flat - difficult not to see what's going on in the gardens below! But you are right, it is a bit of a niche hobby. Tee Hee!

laimeduck - 2018-07-23 5:00 PM
Adiebt - 2018-07-23 3:38 PMI sit in my mother's flat on Marine Parade at Dover and watch motorhomers emptying grey water & even toilet casettes Everyman needs a hobby :-D

The view from the flat - difficult not to see what's going on in the gardens below! But you are right, it is a bit of a niche hobby. Tee Hee!
OOOOh - a closet closet watcher, what fun! Joking aside, have you considered taking some photos, to include registration numbers, and asking the local authority to prosecute the offensive offenders

Tracker - 2018-07-23 5:05 PM
laimeduck - 2018-07-23 5:00 PM

OOOOh - a closet closet watcher, what fun! Joking aside, have you considered taking some photos, to include registration numbers, and asking the local authority to prosecute the offensive offenders

Doh -  forgot to include the view!

258530240_gatewayview.jpg.5da8c844f0d4aa21f133661bace4bf89.jpg

Well a little idea i had was an app which you enter your vehicle reg into at a carpark and you are entitled to one nights stay. Realistically that gives you time to enjoy the evening and get some rest and be off the next day. There would have to be a waiting list so if 3 other motorhomes were there you would have to join the que. Maybe come back the next evening or one after that. If anyone just turned up and parked without using the app their reg would go down on a naughty list. I just dont see barriers being a fair system especially as they are weopons of discrimination. Or maybe a hundred points per year so for 3 hour you would use up one point and for a night you would use up 3. Then when your 100 was up you would have to stay away. Not sure what the naughty list would be. Perhaps being redirected to page where you are given some learning material like those speed awareness courses. Plus become a pariah. Maybe anyone wanting to use carparks should do a course where they are taught about the horrors of emptying their waste in public places. At least people serious about being responsible mh users could get in. Only problem is the companys making these things are just selling councils a lump of metal in concrete so without the technology and the arm thing that wouldnt work.

Mind you there have been cases where the fixed barriers have prevented emergency services getting to injured people so if this could be found to be negligent by councils then the compulsory ability to raise them might enable some kind of facilitation for some kind of access for other tall vehicles with permission.

gp1 - 2018-07-23 6:40 PM

Well a little idea i had was an app which you enter your vehicle reg into at a carpark and you are entitled to one nights stay. Realistically that gives you time to enjoy the evening and get some rest and be off the next day. There would have to be a waiting list so if 3 other motorhomes were there you would have to join the que. Maybe come back the next evening or one after that. If anyone just turned up and parked without using the app their reg would go down on a naughty list. I just dont see barriers being a fair system especially as they are weopons of discrimination. Or maybe a hundred points per year so for 3 hour you would use up one point and for a night you would use up 3. Then when your 100 was up you would have to stay away. Not sure what the naughty list would be. Perhaps being redirected to page where you are given some learning material like those speed awareness courses. Plus become a pariah. Maybe anyone wanting to use carparks should do a course where they are taught about the horrors of emptying their waste in public places. At least people serious about being responsible mh users could get in. Only problem is the companys making these things are just selling councils a lump of metal in concrete so without the technology and the arm thing that wouldnt work.

There is a small network in France (Camping-Car Parks) of about 100 dedicated motorhome-only sites that employ a barrier system that ‘counts’ and restricts the number of vehicles that enter the site. It’s not a free network though and it costs (a small amount) to join and there’s a cost per-24 hours to stay on a site.

There have been several on-line petitions about local authorities providing parking facilities for motorhomes. This 2017 forum thread refers to the most recent petition

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/I-m-in/46567/

As Brian Kirby has said above, motorhomes are generally not looked on favourably when it comes to parking, and the ‘motorcaravanners spend money’ business-case often put forward to encourage dedicated parking facilities to be provided has (as far as I’m concerned) always been untenable.

So, given that non-motorcaravanners would prefer motorhomes not to use carparks in the UK for ovenighting, and would prefer motorhomes not to park at beauty spots, and that there’s a universal UK concern about ‘travellers’ exploiting carparks, do you really think that taking an ‘app’ approach would have any chance of success?

Archived