so lovely to see a m/ h flouting the rules

gp1

Yes read that other thread. The 10,000 signatures is a great achievement and shame the gov ignored it cos there was an election on. If there is a problem unique to this country (political or geopraphic or historical) then that might be why we are feeling so discriminated against and if the sales of m/h and caravans are going steadily up then something will eventually have to change due to demand. Yes powerfull vested interests - the traveller movement was as much about political dissent as lifestyle choice. Dont know about herding us into pens. But the height barrier thing is the same as the spikes on the roofs to stop winged vermin impacting on our town centres. Why dont the people who sell us these things do more to put pressure on government? They would sell more then.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gp1 - 2018-07-24 2:06 PM

The 10,000 signatures is a great achievement and shame the gov ignored it cos there was an election on.

Considering how often these petitions get regurgitated, and the number of years that some MHers have been bleating on about how unfair it all is *-) ("..it's bloomin' discrimination I tells ya!...") , 10,000 is pathetic.. (or should that be "apathetic"? )

pepe63 - 2018-07-24 2:23 PM

gp1 - 2018-07-24 2:06 PM

The 10,000 signatures is a great achievement and shame the gov ignored it cos there was an election on.

Considering how often these petitions get regurgitated, and the number of years that some MHers have been bleating on about how unfair it all is *-) ("..it's bloomin' discrimination I tells ya!...") , 10,000 is pathetic.. (or should that be "apathetic"? )

Indeed. Given that a lot of people will sign a petition without a moments thought to the cause to which they are lending their names, and that the population is around 60 million, I'm not surprised that a petition that managed only 10k was ignored.

As an example of how little some people think about the subject before lending support, I was once approached once to sign a petition. When I explained why I wouldn't, the woman said that she had never thought of it from that perspective and decided there and then not to canvass further signatures.

gp1 - 2018-07-24 2:06. But the height barrier thing is the same as the spikes on the roofs to stop winged vermin impacting on our town centres. .

Wow, your true colours are showing now. Yes, some of the traveller community make a meds and abuse the places they stay. But comparing them to vermin? Whilst many of us may abhor how some of the traveller community behaviour, they are human beings.

michaelmorris - 2018-07-24 5:31 PM

gp1 - 2018-07-24 2:06. But the height barrier thing is the same as the spikes on the roofs to stop winged vermin impacting on our town centres. .

Wow, your true colours are showing now. Yes, some of the traveller community make a meds and abuse the places they stay. But comparing them to vermin? Whilst many of us may abhor how some of the traveller community behaviour, they are human beings.

Steady on, Michael, I think your reading of GP's post may be a bit wide of the mark. I think he's saying the measures (height barriers etc.) against motorhomes in general can be likened to the measures taken against pigeons and gulls on buildings, which places all motorhomers (as seen by local authorities) into the "winged vermin" category. I took that to be tongue in cheek which, as you've illustrated, is always a trifle "high risk"! :-D

Yes micheal i did mean as you say meaning that we are the winged vermin in the councils eyes. Much like sub genres of music we motorhomers are some offshoot of the many travelling types who have gone before us from the oregon trail to gypsies to new age travellers. Even saw a program on tv called the campervan cook or something about a man who travels around in his vw cooking. In the program he drove to scotland to watch kippers being smoked and his driveshaft went and his gears also started playing up. The local kipper smokers were terrifying and without the film crew i think he would have given up. Going to get my gas fixed tomorrow then going somewhere to cook something.

gp1 - 2018-07-25 12:38 AM

Yes micheal i did mean as you say meaning that we are the winged vermin in the councils eyes...

The Government’s response to the 2017 ‘parking for motothomes’ petition was as follows:

"Local authorities are responsible for determining local parking provision and they should take account of existing and projected levels of parking demand when developing local parking policies.

In 2015 the Department for Communities and Local Government published statutory guidance outlining how local residents and firms can petition their council to undertake a formal review of parking policies in their area, with councillors then voting on the action to be taken. Further information is available at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/right-to-challenge-parking-policies.

Department for Communities and Local Government”

I’ve never understood why motorcaravanners should expect that UK ‘councils’ might introduce parking facilities for motorhomes merely because the owners of such vehicles believe this would be a great idea. If there were a convincing argument to do this (like it would definitely be beneficial to the community that a council represents) that would be fine, but the ‘logic’ used to try to justify such facilities being provided across the UK is simply that other countries have them so the UK should have them too.

If you believe that having dedicated motorhome parking places (presumably on car-parks) would be generally beneficial to the community where you live, explore this with your own local council and see what their reaction is.

stevec176 - 2018-07-19 10:17 PM

What a good idea, lets all flount the rules and ignore them then they can put a height barrier up, that'll show em wont it. Yea right, think about it.

I wondered who would be the first to jump up and down on that. :-D We need more height barriers :D

553755F9-B3F3-441F-AE62-451F81766F63.jpg.c86aca171216bf3c331f1446e5c3fdb6.jpg

It is often not a question of breaking the rules but failing to exercise any common sense or thought for others. Today I had to go to my doctor’s surgery in Tobermory. At the entrance to the housing estate where the surgery is situated there were 2 largish motorhomes parked on the roadway. A timber lorry with trailer coming the other way had great difficulty getting past and had to take to the grass verge and pavement. This is a busy entrance. There is currently a free car park at the end of the street where some have tried parking in the clearly marked bus bays. When up to 6 buses appear the chaos is believable. Some at about 6 or 7 meters long park nose to the sea on the Main Street. The fact that half the already congested street is thus blocked does not seem to bother them. The addition of a bike rack just adds to the fun. A long panel van with lifting tail gate left up into the street for long periods is an even worse hazard, particularly in poor visibility. Rant over for now.

Yes micheal i did mean as you say meaning that we are the winged vermin in the councils eyes. Much like sub genres of music we motorhomers are some offshoot of the many travelling types who have gone before us from the oregon trail to gypsies to new age travellers..

Speak for yourself mate. If that's view of your motorhoming that's fine with me. However. I am just an ordinary bloke who likes visiting beautiful places and enjoying this wonderful planet with my beloved wife. What I ( and I suspect the vast majority of other motorhome owners) am not is any sort of economic or religious migrant risking all for a new life in some far off land or a member of some romanticised view of a nomadic counter cultural.

Yes micheal i did mean as you say meaning that we are the winged vermin in the councils eyes.

That's not my experience. I've spoken to people from three different councils about the lack of provision for motorhome parking and they have all been polite, courteous and largely sympathetic. They certainly haven't treated me like vermin.

There is a general theme to their replies as to why they don't provide dedicated motorhome parking.

1 - abuse of parking facilities by the traveller community

2 - abuse of facilities by socially irresponsible selfish motorhomers who seem incapable/unwilling to act thoughtfully (the people you state you admire)

3 - lack of funds

Also, please remember that there will undoubtedly be members of this forum who are either present or past employees of local councils who I feel sure would not be happy about being accused of treating people as vermin.

You misunderstand my reasoning. Rat runs are so called because people in their cars are considered a nuisance to people who live in quiet streets. So the bollards and no entry signs are erected. The only group of people this government has been interested in are the electorial role which are householders. From whome all that council tax comes from. My point is that installing metal in concrete to bar people from going about their business is akin to the metal spikes they put on window sills and roofs to stop pidgeons from sitting on and leaving expensive and unsightly mess. Strange how graffitti and skateparks have been given the thumbs up. Possibly because people will do it anyway so may aswell provide facilities. Its culturally relevant and this is something councils need to be embracing. Same with street entertainment. Diversity is what its all about and archaic rules and blind panic seem to have lost the arguement in so many cases i dont see why an all inclusive carefully considered policy cant be adopted for motorhome users if the rules are not working for everybody then they will be challenged. That is how change comes.

gp1 - 2018-07-28 11:35 AM

The only group of people this government has been interested in are the electorial role which are householders.

And the councils - which is why we have a housing crisis. The Government has given all the power to NIMBYS to ban things that don't benefit them personally - like new housing and motorhome parking.

Other countries appear to have avoided this by getting such matters decided on a national basis - for the benefit of everyone instead of just the local NIMBYS?

Like that. Yes perhaps seeing yourself as a guest is an effective way to be free. Rather than the opposite which is this land is my land. This land is your land. (Robert guthrie). dont want to be a protest singing bear with a sore head.

i was staying in stonehaven c&m club site last week ,it is about 50yds from the beach and a lovely veiw,and every night and day there were between 4 and 10 mhomes parked across from the entrance enjoying the lovely view for free obscuring it from everyone else with their drain hoses open ,seems very selfish

Archived