Break down of double glazing causing moisture in between glass.

lindaquinn20

We have a Niessmann+Bischoff Arto registered in 99 the double glazing have broken down in the near side front glazed section. Have anybody got a solution to how we could rectify the situation.I have a photo of the window but don’t know how to attach it. Thanks in anticipation of any help and reply’s ??

We sometimes get some slight fogging inside the window units which, I believe, is caused by moisture inside condensing as the unit heats up with the sun but this is only temporary and goes away once the moisture has disapated. Quite normal and not a problem - is this what you have or is it more serious. If more serious do you not just replace the windows affected.

I’m guessing that the double-glazed unit mentioned in the original posting is made of glass not plastic. (see this MHFun discussion)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/repairing-steamed-up-double-glazing.111764/

Like domestic double-glazed units, if serious condensation between the two panes becomes evident, replacement will be the only realistic cure. There are firms that advertise being able to treat this problem, but whether they can will depend on the type of glass used in the unit and how serious the problem is.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-24 8:53 AM

I’m guessing that the double-glazed unit mentioned in the original posting is made of glass...

There are firms that advertise being able to treat this problem, but whether they can will depend on the type of glass used in the unit and how serious the problem is.

And from my experience with them, Don't bother wasting your time and money!

It seems to only be a short term remedy and in our experience the window was still dirty in between the panes from the condensation.

Just get a new window and be done with it.

Keith.

Probably doesn't need saying, but as no-one seems to have mentioned it (though it is clearly implied in the funster string), both inner and outer sheets must be of toughened, or laminated, glass. Since the funster's van was a N+B, and since his glass supplier has the experience gained on his van, and has their own toughening plant, they sound like a good place to start.

Your remaining problem then is working out how to remove the glazed unit (preferably intact, so that it can be used as a template for the replacement) or who to employ to do this if you don't fancy taking it on.

If you're anywhere near Telford, try Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services, here: http://tinyurl.com/ybt2luqo Dave is a much missed ex-"forumister", is very flexible in what he does and may take on the job, he is also highly experienced, completely reliable, and works to high standards.

Archived