Crashing out?

longtemps

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2018-07-24 9:26 PM

Two bits of news today, Rees-Mogg believes the benefits of Brexit will be seen "in 50 years time" ( as another of his companies opens a Dublin office), and the Health Secretary admits the NHS are stockpiling medicines " in case of a hard Brexit".

Don't panic! Don't panic!

I'm gonna stock pile these for my Remoaner chums :D ..........

https://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/incontinence-pants/disposable-pull-up-pants.html

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
longtemps - 2018-07-24 10:41 AM

but what about our credit cards no longer being accepted on the aires for access, or water? What about the legals of our documentation and the need for visas?

As I've posted on another thread, I've used my credit cards around the world without problems, although this year many Dutch sites and shops would not accept them, but that's nothing to do with EU.

I know it was only speculation in the press but it is being mooted that the pound could go as low as being worth just 0.77 cents! Suddenly the Caravan Club sites become exceptional value!

From what I can gather the pound is under valued at present due to Brexit uncertainties

Will the newly introduced, better charging costs for roaming in Europe, on your phones and devices, be no longer be available to we Brits?

If crashing out that one might get lost, only time will tell.

I concede that no one has any answers for the above questions, particularly our esteemed leaders, but one thing is for sure, if we crash out, we motorhomer's will immediately feel the effects in our pockets, during our Spring19 annual pilgrimage to the motorhoming valhalla of the EU!

One thing which occurred to me t'other day, maybe duty free could be reintroduced, back in the day when it was dropped ferry tickets went up in price.

ps: I was seriously considering buying a new van at the NEC this year. With all of this uncertainty I am now having many doubts. How do you all feel? Is it "hey ho" what the hell or - - - - ?

Whilst Brexit might have some effect on our holiday plans my worry would be more about brands such as Globecar deciding UK was too small a market to bother with.

Look on the bright side. No more delays at Calais because all the migrants will be hanging around Dover trying to hide in Lorries and get to France :-S

PS: Unless its a Hard Brexit and we get no permits to send our lorries to or across Europe :-S

It's fine to have different views as long as we weigh the facts before making our opinions.

We , the general public or electorate, didn't get many firm honest facts presented before the referendum. No-one did the work to analyse the real costs and benefits either way.

Not sure if the government has yet. That is negligence.

The people who did the work on their own behalf have made better plans and provisions.

For example an increasingly prominent west country MP - lets call him a homely "Jake"....

That MP's Register of interests in 2016 includes

Unremunerated director of Somerset Capital Management Ltd, which is the parent (Cayman) Ltd and Somerset Capital Management (Singapore) PTE Ltd. (Registered 07 April 2016)

Unremunerated director of Somerset Capital Management (Singapore) PTE Ltd. (Registered 07 April 2016)

Unremunerated director of Saliston Ltd, which is a shareholder (over 15%) in Somerset Capital Management Ltd. (Registered 20 April 2016)

Unremunerated director of the American Trading Company (Holdings) Ltd (holding company) and the American Trading Company Ltd (property management). (Registered 20 April 2016)

Ie Ownershp of his companies ("the old money") going abroad to tax-havens and "dollar" economies.

Think how the value of the stock held in dollars shot up as the value of the pound went down!

No wonder these guys can take a 50 year view!!

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-07-25 9:55 AM

Look on the bright side. No more delays at Calais because all the migrants will be hanging around Dover trying to hide in Lorries and get to France :-S

PS: Unless its a Hard Brexit and we get no permits to send our lorries to or across Europe :-S

When was the last time you saw a UK registered lorry across the ditch? 8-) ............and compare that to the number of EU lorries on our roads >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
MartinP - 2018-07-25 10:06 AM

Think how the value of the stock held in dollars shot up as the value of the pound went down!

No wonder these guys can take a 50 year view!!

Quite how is a taking a 50 year view gonna help Jake? :-S ..........

Becoming rich at a 120 is a bit like a eunuch inheriting a brothel (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

I always said that Motorhomers voting for Brexit was like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Crap exchange rate

Three month maximum stay in Europe.

Probably no EHIC card and massive hike in Travel insurance likely

Probably no more cheap roaming charges for mobiles and data

New driving licence requirements

Economy takes a nose dive so everyone is worse off. Skegness it is then. :-(

Barryd999 - 2018-07-25 12:37 PM

I always said that Motorhomers voting for Brexit was like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Crap exchange rate

As ever Barry all of that is pure scaremongering conjecture.

Like everyone else you do not know how it will pan out and whilst it is of course good for you to be free to express your own opinion please do not insult the rest of us by quoting your opinions as fact when they are pure speculation based on so many unknowns.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-07-25 12:47 PM

Crap exchange rate

Like everyone else you do not know how it will pan out and whilst it is of course good for you to be free to express your own opinion please do not insult the rest of us by quoting your opinions as fact when they are pure speculation based on so many unknowns.

It must be true Rich........a Remoaner "expert" told him so :D .........

Tracker - 2018-07-25 12:47 PM

Crap exchange rate

Well of course its just my view but lets look at them in detail for any FACTS. It is indeed a fact that none EU countries maximum stay in Europe is three months and overstayers are caught and fined. That has been the case for many years. We will be outside of Europe, do you think that rule will be wavered just for us? No. Nobody except motorhomers has thought about it probably but rules is rules. Good luck explaining to your insurance company if you have a prang as an illegal immigrant or if you get caught by the Spanish police as an illegal and your vehicle taken off you.

Crap exchange rate? Yes its rubbish, we were getting 1.42 the summer before the referendum and its only going in one direction if we crash out of the EU. So thats a given and not speculation.

Dunno about the EHIC Card but a hard Brexit will almost certainly see the end of it, David Davis said so. Have a guess what your travel insurance will do to the cost of a three month policy when that happens.

Yes there will be new driving licence requirements and yes the economy will tank with a £158bn loss per year and nearly 3 million jobs gone but never mind, you will have taken back control and in the next breath handed it to Donald Trump. Oh dear.

Sensationalising? Project Fear? Time for the Brexiteers to wake up to reality I think..

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-07-25 1:00 PM

Crap exchange rate? Yes its rubbish, we were getting 1.42 the summer before the referendum and its only going in one direction if we crash out of the EU. So thats a given and not speculation.

The pound is at the same rate now that it's been at in 7 of the past 10 years ;-) ........Indeed its never been so stable as it is now :D ........

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

Sorry Barry that is load of spherical objects.

Just because some aspects may, or may not, be what you think they are now, depending on which web sites you trawl to reinforce your views, does not mean that is what will apply in a year's time, so away with all the doom and gloom and wait and see, after all you don't have a lot of choice and you have no real idea of what is going on although you might think you do!

There are enough things in modern life to think about without worrying about hypothetical things that might, or might not, ever happen, so relax and enjoy the sunshine and leave the worrying to those who are paid to worry, not that that will inspire much confidence!

pelmetman - 2018-07-25 1:10 PM

The pound is at the same rate now that it's been at in 7 of the past 10 years ;-) ........Indeed its never been so stable as it is now :D ........

*-)

If you want to compare the effects of Brexit a sensible comparison would be with the G10 currency basket. https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/LGBB:LN or even the US Dollar.

Wheras the least sensible currency to compare it wth is the Euro because that is also affected by Brexit.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-07-25 1:43 PM

Wheras the least sensible currency to compare it wth is the Euro because that is also affected by Brexit.

So what your saying is the UK economy is so powerful it affects the other 27 EU countries B-) ..........

See..... we said they need us more than we need them >:-) ..........

How many times do I have to say it - comparing now with then is totally pointless because you have absolutely no idea what anything will be in a year, or two year's, time and anything you claim to be fact is pure conjecture.

So why not give it all up as pure speculation and get on with your other life of supporting the unsupportable.

Not according to that chart, it ain't! Three, maybe, but look at the fall-off post 2016, before which the trend was upward.

Tracker - 2018-07-25 1:33 PM

Just because some aspects may, or may not, be what you think they are now, depending on which web sites you trawl to reinforce your views, does not mean that is what will apply in a year's time, so away with all the doom and gloom and wait and see, after all you don't have a lot of choice and you have no real idea of what is going on although you might think you do!

There are enough things in modern life to think about without worrying about hypothetical things that might, or might not, ever happen, so relax and enjoy the sunshine and leave the worrying to those who are paid to worry, not that that will inspire much confidence!

So it's not a fact that none EU citizens are only allowed entrance into Schengen for a maximum of three months? Wait and see doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid Rich. Let's not wait and see, let's bin Brexit before it's too late.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-07-25 2:46 PM

So it's not a fact that none EU citizens are only allowed entrance into Schengen for a maximum of three months? Wait and see doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid Rich. Let's not wait and see, let's bin Brexit before it's too late.

Is Russia part of Schengen? :-S .........

Just wondering why there's so many in Spain for more than 3 months at a time >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-25 2:41 PM

Not according to that chart, it ain't! Three, maybe, but look at the fall-off post 2016, before which the trend was upward.

Yeah the currency traders thought we'd vote Remain >:-) ..........

Today it is 1.13 euro to the pound, back when we did our first trip to Spain in Horace it was 1.10 ;-) ........

Tracker - 2018-07-25 3:57 PM

If millions of would be economic migrants suddenly thought that any other EU country, preferably a generous one, offered them a better future post Brexit than the UK then that alone would make Brexit well worth the effort.

Ah I see the old mess up your own country so much by an act of massive self harm to make us less of an attractive option to migrants trick huh?

Clever. *-)

pelmetman - 2018-07-25 3:01 PM

Just wondering why there's so many in Spain for more than 3 months at a time >:-) ..........

How do you know they are there more than three months? If that's the case they have either

Got residency or are there illegally. If the Spanish choose to turn a blind eye because they are the super rich then that's up to them. I wouldn't be surprised though post Brexit when we inevitably fall out with Spain if the Spanish Rozzers do very well out of fining heavily not so wealthy snowbird motorhomers who contribute naff all of significance to the country but will be overstaying illegally.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-07-25 4:58 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-25 3:01 PM

How do you know they are there more than three months? If that's the case they have either

Got residency or are there illegally. If the Spanish choose to turn a blind eye because they are the super rich then that's up to them. I wouldn't be surprised though post Brexit when we inevitably fall out with Spain if the Spanish Rozzers do very well out of fining heavily not so wealthy snowbird motorhomers who contribute naff all of significance to the country but will be overstaying illegally.

If it comes to it getting a padron is hardly the end of the world ;-) ........

Indeed the Spanish are trying to encourage us "almost" expats to apply because it means they get more dosh from their and our government :D ............

So rather than rounding us up and kicking us out, I suspect they'll be taking us down to the town hall to register >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2018-07-25 10:13 AM

When was the last time you saw a UK registered lorry across the ditch? 8-) ............and compare that to the number of EU lorries on our roads >:-) ..........

Urban myth.The number is actually miniscule. Our motorway service areas are dwarfed by the physical size of autobahn service areas, most of which provide decent facilities for drivers. But check out the number of trucks from various countries all travelling through Germany. Way more nationalities than you will ever see in UK

Bulletguy - 2018-07-25 5:31 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-25 10:13 AM

Urban myth.The number is actually miniscule. Our motorway service areas are dwarfed by the physical size of autobahn service areas, most of which provide decent facilities for drivers. But check out the number of trucks from various countries all travelling through Germany. Way more nationalities than you will ever see in UK

Proof ???

Archived