Can she drive my M/H

ColinM50

We let our son borrow our Peugeot based Elddis 196, weighing at the 3,500 limit and he drives and looks after it well. He passed his test in '96.

Daughter would like to borrow the M/H too and tbh, we see it as a family resource, it'll be theirs when we're gone so they may as well enjoy it now too. She passed her driving test 25/11/98 and has AM; A; B1 and B on her licence so I'm guessing she has to take another test? Anyone know for sure, and if so how do we sort this out..

The entitlement of a B category on a licence first issued in 1998 is:

Vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM and up to 8 passenger seats with trailer up to 750kg; trailers over 750kg if combined weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t over 3,500kg

So she's OK with a motorhome plated at 3,500 kg, including towing a trailer up to 750kg, so a luggage trailer.  If she wanted to tow a heavier trailer (eg with a car on it) she would in practice have to take another test to get a B+E category.

Someone PM'd me and suggested checking on .GOV website and that tells me you're all correct.

" Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg."

So looks like she can indeed drive it legally. Just got to find a way that "mad driver daughter in law" doesn't find out and insist on having a go. :-(

Thanks all for the advice

ColinM50 - 2018-07-25 2:32 PM

Just got to find a way that "mad driver daughter in law" doesn't find out and insist on having a go. :-(

Don't put her name on the insurance and then she can't.

Also why not install a dash cam and then you can review the footage of there driving at any time you like, keep them on their toes.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-07-25 2:51 PM

Just got to find a way that "mad driver daughter in law" doesn't find out and insist on having a go. :-(

Don't put her name on the insurance and then she can't.

Also why not install a dash cam and then you can review the footage of there driving at any time you like, keep them on their toes.

Keith.

Albeit that’s not a bad idea, but what you see from the dash cam IS ONLY past tense ??

Hi,

There should be a plate somewhere on the van, stating it's MGW.

Note, VI are only interested in the actual weight of the trailer not exceeding the manufacturer's towing limit.

Your daughter could tow a 2000kg MGW trailer, provided it does not weigh more than 750kg at the time.

DVLA, on the other hand, are only interested in the MGW. Your daughter could not tow an empty trailer weighing 250kg, if it is plated at 751kg MGW.

Also, she cannot mix and match. She cannot drive a 3000kg MGW vehicle, towing 751kg MGW trailer.

I'm not being pernickity ... my boat trailer had an unladen weight of 753kg. That may have been a deliberate ploy to stop novices towing it ... it was 30ft long.

Keith.

Or a cheapy tracker and give it a ring anytime an you'll see where they are and what speed they are doing.

Personally I'd not lend mine to Son, Daughter or Anyone I think your making a mistake

Problem is Colin has already let his son borrow it so the pressident has been set, damn. I once lent our caravan (long time ago) to my brother-in-law and it came back with various bits damaged but what can you say, just bite your tongue, so never again. Its like lending money never expect it back and you're not disappointed.

So looks like she can indeed drive it legally. Just got to find a way that "mad driver daughter in law" doesn't find out and insist on having a go. :-(

Colin put Daughter on insurance, then if DIL wants to have a go as well (and you don't want her to) Then say you can't put any more on insurance

I don't know if insurers do limit the number of drivers

PJay

Hi ,similar question, can a learner driver use a 3.5ton motorhome accompanied of course, to practice for her driving test.. ie is there a weightsize limit of car for learners to learn on. If someone has passed theit test, what is there preventing them buying a bigish motorhome. I am thinking grandaughter off to uni, as living accomodation..cheeper than student digs.comments????

Tonyg3nwl.

You learn to drive on any vehicle within the category irrespective of size.

As to using it for student accommodation, well it could, but would maybe miss out on interaction with other students if stuck out on some campsite.

Archived