Mercedes 2006 316 Sprinter

Gregors

Mercedes 2006 316 Sprinter  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All,

I was recently out on the MH and I have had the following lights come on - ESP/ABS/ & EDC. All the lights have come on together. I am told that its quite normal for all three to come on even if one fails as they all work together.

My mechanic plugged his computer in which told us it was the speed sensor as we have also lost the speedo We have replaced this but this has not worked. In addition to this sensor we have replaced the speed sensor on the gear box - this also has not solved the issue. Shortly prior to this we nocked the wing mirror and i wondered if is could be an impact sensor but I'm told it would not be this for a wing mirror plus they are not coming up on the computer !

Has anyone else had this issue on there MH based on a Merc Sprinter ? We are due to go away in two weeks time and really struggling to get this resolved. Any help or ideas would be really appreaciated.

Many thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

To the best of my knowledge you where correct in replacing a wheel speed sensor but have you tried monitoring Live data of all the wheel speed sensors whilst driving? If not then this would be my next action. it is possible the sensor has not seated fully and is not giving a true signal to the ABS ECU.

Keith.

PS Re-reading your post, which sensor did the scan show as faulty and after replacement has this code cleared?

Hi keith,,

Very interesting. We replaced the passenger side front wheel sensor and also the speed sensor on the gearbox.

The codes do clear - however when you turn the ignition back on then the lights don't go out and the codes re appear again !

Very frustrating. The other thing of course because there is no speedo the Auto side of the box doesn't no when to change gear being a sprint shift !

Thanks

Chris

In that case you replaced the wrong sensor!

You need to either use a scanner that tells you which sensor is faulty or look for live data of all the sensors whilst driving.

PS It could also be damaged wiring causing the fault.

Keith.

Hi - The mechanic has checked the other sensors and they were saying it was the passenger side sensor..

When we re plugged the computer back in it still comes up with that wheel sensor being faulty - Also we are wondering if maybe there is a faulty wire somewhere that is causing this.. Its never simple I know that !

Keith thanks for you input - the MH will be back with me on tuesday so we will have another go then.

Out of interest have you had this problem before

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

Not personally, I'm lucky in that respect as my Sprinter has no ABS. I also have my own scanner capable of talking Sprinters unique language so can normally take care of things myself.

I'm a test and development engineer for a car manufacturer so see problems like this quite often.

I also participate on the Sprinter Source Forum where there is a mine of information and people wiling to help...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/

Keith.

Sounds like I bumped into the correct guy on the forum then. Thanks for your advice this morning - I'll have a look at the link you sent me and let Laurence know my mechanic and let you know how we get on !

Thanks Again

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith Hope your well. Do you know where I can get a wiring diagram for a Sprinter 316 2006 sprint shift as all the wiring diagrams on the DIY forum are for full autos e,t,c

we have worked out having replaced the Speed sensor on the gear box there is no live there, however we have earth so need to find out where those three wires are coming from

Anything you have would be great

Many thanks

Chris

My 2007 316 had this problem. It kept occurring, we had several diagnosis checks from different sources including a Mercedes garage. This problem was finally nailed down to moisture in the ECU relay under the dash. It needs a proper mechanic to find this as the diagnosis machines came up with loads of different causes from ignition switch to speed sensors. The wiring on the relay may be corroded as well

Archived