Swivel seat.

yorkist

Can anyone out there help us with our passenger side swivel seat which is stuck in the raised

position, it's the rear lever that is the problem, front is ok. Would be grateful for some suggestions before a trip to the (probably expensive) dealers.

Some cab seats rise and/or tilt back and/or front but I have never come across a swivel seat base that does either - usually the swivel is just two plates one of which is bolted to the seat with 4 bolts and that revolves about the other plate which is bolted to the seat box with 4 bolts - and the seat itself is not part of that circular movement.

I've never had need to dismantle a seat tilt mechanism so I can't help but getting a seat out is straighforward enough, if a tad fiddly, but be aware that the seats are very heavy and cumbersome when detached.

There might possibly be something on Google that tells you how - have you searched?

The swivel seat in our van is, I think, just the standard Fiat Ducati seat bolted to an aftermarket seat swivel so is it just the standard seat mechanism that is faulty as that contains levers to raise the front and/or back? If the seat is the standard Fiat one there just seems to be a simple up or down lever so can't be that complicated.

It is a standard Peugeot seat with the swivel as an aftermarket addition.

When it is turned around there are two levers on the side of the seat mechanism, the front

one to raise the front of the seat, the rear one to raise the back, this brings the seat to the

same height as the side bench seats for comfort. It is the rear one that is jammed in the raised

position, I cannot work out how to release it.

Just wondered if anyone on here knows the mechanics of these seats.

yorkist - 2018-08-01 10:27 PM

It is a standard Peugeot seat with the swivel as an aftermarket addition.

When it is turned around there are two levers on the side of the seat mechanism, the front

one to raise the front of the seat, the rear one to raise the back, this brings the seat to the

same height as the side bench seats for comfort. It is the rear one that is jammed in the raised

position, I cannot work out how to release it.

Just wondered if anyone on here knows the mechanics of these seats.

Have you tried a squirt of WD40?

PJay

So it is not the swivel which is jammed but the height adjustment on the original Peugeot seat! Now I understand (I was wondering why you had a height adjustment on a swivel but now I understand why).

Try lubricating the mechanism with WD40 or similar and see if you can free it, if not I'm afraid it'll be a trip to the dealers!

Keith.

The two adjustment ‘levers’ on the seat’s side are shown in the attached photo.

I’d try judicious application of brute force to begin with. I’d enlist the help of someone heavy (I’m a 60kg lightweight) and get them to sit on the seat, pull up the rear lever really hard and then bounce energetically up and down on the rear of the seat cushion while someone else holds the top of the seat-back from behind the seat and jerks hard downwards as the the sitter is bouncing up and down.

If that failed to unstick the jammed rear lever mechanism I’d remove the seat (it might be necessary to take off the seat + swivel and then remove the seat from the swivel) and see if I could spot what’s causing the jamming.

I’m doubtful that lubrication alone will unjam the mechanism, though it might well help to prevent the problem recurring once the mechanism has been unjammed. I’d definitely not use a messy oily product like WD40 in this instance: a ‘dry’ PTFE or silicone lubricant would be preferable.

(There will be air-bag electrical cabling from the seat to connections within the seat base, so care would need to be taken if the seat were to be removed.)

1002029175_seatlevers.jpg.b651148e3c1de8bc7fa1908c9dc85767.jpg

If Derek's idea doesn't work and you have to take the seat off to get at the mechanism, it is usually held on by six torque bolts to the original seat base. I use a long allen key.

These are fiddly to get at and the seat is very heavy, a two person job really, as you have to lift it up to unclip the wiring.

As a precaution I'd look underneath with a torch before starting, to check there isn't something that's got caught in the mechanism.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we have tried the brute force method to no avail. We will attempt to

remove the seat after our next trip to see if anything has come adrift inside. It's difficult to work out with the seat in situ.

There are instructions in this MHFun forum entry regarding removing the DRIVER’S seat of a recent Ducato in order to access its habitation-battery

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/chausson-626-2014-removing-replacing-drivers-seat.239/

The screws holding the seat’s plastic side panels will have Pozidriv heads (not ‘Phillip’) and the ‘Allan screws’ will be Torx type (Torx T40?). Using the correct type of tool will minimise the chance of the fastening being damaged.

Can I just add that to get at the battery the swivel base will need to come out whereas to get at the underside of the seat the seat and base will need to be separated and it might be easier to leave the base in place when taking out the seat, if it needs to come right out. You might just be able to get at the mechanism with the seat unbolted and tilted? Either way the seat is heavy and cumbersome so two people would make it easier to move and less likely to damage anything in the process. An old piece of carpet or similar on the ground will help avoid damage to the seat if it has to come out.

I’ve looked at my Rapido’s pssenger cab-seat and it matches the description on the MHFun thread

"In the Fiat Ducato there are two rails beneath the seat. There are two 13 mm bolts at the habitation end of each rail and one Allan screw at the cab end. These will eventually require removing to enable you to take out the seat ...”

I think the two bolts at the rear end of each rail are ‘captive’ studs and that their nuts (within the rail’s U-shaped profile) are removed from above. Not sure whether the fastener at the front of each rail has a captive nut beneath the rail, but the fastener itself certainly looks like it has a Allen head. If it’s just those six fasteners holding the seat to the swivel ‘plate’, merely disconnecting the seat from the plate should be quite straightforward.

It is possible with the seat set to its maximum height (by lifting up the front ‘lever’ as well as the rear one with nobody sat on the seat) to see the adjustment mecanism using a torch (as Billggski mentioned earlier) and (as Tracker has suggested) if the seat were unbolted from the swivel-plate and just tilted a better view would be obtained and complete removal of the seat might possibly be avoided. My Rapido has a couple of electrical cables that pass from the seat’s underside through the centre of the swivel-plate. I’ve not explored where they go inside the seat-box, but if the seat were to be completely removed those cables would need to be disconnected.

(I’m assuming yorkist has tried every permutation of the two levers on the seat’s side - like attempting to force/shock the rear of the seat downwards when the height of the seat’s front has been adjusted to the highest, lowest or intermediate position.)

Thanks Derek and Tracker, very helpful.

After having a closer look I have found a loose wire that goes into a round hole in the metal base plate, I suspect this has something to do with the release mechanism, I will start by just removing the seat first and see how I go from there.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

Archived