Axle weights (again!) (Chausson with Ford Auto170PS)

dusty100

I have been researching a new MH and was interested in the Chausson 610/630/640. But, with all the great storage at the back, I have been questioning the payload and, in particular, the rear axle loading.

I read in detail posts from 2017 and early 2008. With the information that the Ford 170PS has 2250KG rear axle limit, I was ready to proceed. I even got the unladen weight of the 640 rear axle - 1489kg. Great!

BUT. There was a sting in the tail! To Quote:

"the unladen weight on the rear axle is 1489 kgs. The technical maximum weight is 2250 kg: it means that the axle can support this weight.

However for a Titanium (a revised Welcome 2019 model) 640 Ford automatic/170 hp/3.500 kg, the loaded axle mustn’t exceed 1801kgs."

There is absolutely no reference to this limitation in any documentation and the dealer was totally unaware! I have no further information and it makes no sense to me. 8o| :-(

dusty100 - 2018-08-02 5:33 PM

I have been researching a new MH and was interested in the Chausson 610/630/640.

However for a Titanium (a revised Welcome 2019 model) 640 Ford automatic/170 hp/3.500 kg, the loaded axle mustn’t exceed 1801kgs."

Please can you say where this restriction has come from, possibly a link to a webpage or a photo if a brochure?

Keith.

At 3500kg, 1801 kg at the rear would leave 1699 free at the front. Maybe the auto version of the Transit Titanium 640 is more front heavy than the manual versions & 1801 kg is the maximum "free" weight available at the back ?

I may have notes of the "fully loaded" weight distribution on the 170 manual Welcome 610 I had last year - I could have a dig to see if that would help ? I was running right on (or up to 40kg over :$ ) 3500kg last year, according to the West Yorks Trading Standards "drive over" weighbridge - it is close to home, free & available 24 hours a day, so I always have a run over it when I change the load-out of the van. Just depends if SWMBO wrote down the figures .......

Nigel B

Archived