Interesting Petition

GJH

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
malc d - 2018-08-08 11:19 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-08-08 11:05 AM

I find it odd someone would 'ban smoking anywhere' whilst driving around in a diesel powered mh which produce way more carcinogens than tobacco (data source WHO)......or have you gone over to solar or wind power? ;-)

Travelling around in vehicles which emit carcinogens and other pollutants - whether it's your own or someone elses - is unavoidable ( currently ).

Smoking cigarettes is optional.

:-|

Not really Malc. Could always buy a petrol mh but folk here don't due to the mpg and poor re-sale.

Don636 - 2018-08-08 11:25 AM

As to the bit about why I would ban smoking when our vans emit emissions the concern is that I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke whereas I don't normally smell diesel emissions.

Smokers are said to have less sensitive sense of smell yet i can smell diesel very easily....it's quite distinctive.

As for the environmental effects this is not something I can do anything about apart from not buying a diesel or indeed any fossil fuelled vehicle and that is not going to happen as I am not that bothered.

As you ran an RV in US you'll no doubt be aware (unlike UK) the vast majority are petrol engined as opposed to diesel. Petrol is dirt cheap in US. A 7litre engine should do the trick. Naturally it would cost a fortune just to travel a few miles here but think of planet UK you'd be helping save! ;-)

There seems to be a view recently that diesel is awful and petrol is OK but as far as I am aware petrol engines pump out more CO2 than diesel and that since diesel has fallen out of fashion CO2 levels have actually risen for the first time in years. I also believe that modern diesels are no worse than petrol for NO2.

I think hybrids are the biggest con ever. When the battery is depleted (which won't take long) you are left with a relatively small petrol engine which will give pretty poor fuel consumption and hence increased emissions. Take of 100mpg plus with hybrids is just pure nonsense.

Bulletguy - 2018-08-08 12:48 PM

I find it odd someone would 'ban smoking anywhere' whilst driving around in a diesel powered mh which produce way more carcinogens than tobacco (data source WHO)......or have you gone over to solar or wind power? ;-)

Travelling around in vehicles which emit carcinogens and other pollutants - whether it's your own or someone elses - is unavoidable ( currently ).

Not really Malc. Could always buy a petrol mh but folk here don't due to the mpg and poor re-sale.

Yes really.

Petrol engines pollute as well.

Or are you saying that smoking cigarettes is not optional ?

Don636 - 2018-08-08 1:16 PM

There seems to be a view recently that diesel is awful and petrol is OK but as far as I am aware petrol engines pump out more CO2 than diesel and that since diesel has fallen out of fashion CO2 levels have actually risen for the first time in years. I also believe that modern diesels are no worse than petrol for NO2.

I think hybrids are the biggest con ever. When the battery is depleted (which won't take long) you are left with a relatively small petrol engine which will give pretty poor fuel consumption and hence increased emissions. Take of 100mpg plus with hybrids is just pure nonsense.

It's an argument which has raged for years and to a point i agree with you. My own opinion on the diesel vs petrol regards UK is possibly what some would see as cynical. For years price of diesel remained below that of petrol because few people owned or even wanted a diesel powered car as the technology then was pretty crude. But Mercedes, BMW and Audi continued developing until what we have now are extremely powerful and efficient diesel engines. Result? Sales of diesel cars went up......so UK Gov slapped fuel prices up narrowing the gap until it became higher than petrol. Once UK Gov have convinced everyone diesel = bad and vehicle sales fall, they will slap the price of petrol back up above diesel.

malc d - 2018-08-08 1:37 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-08-08 12:48 PM

Yes really.

Petrol engines pollute as well.

Or are you saying that smoking cigarettes is not optional ?

I know.....just not quite at the same level though.

colin - 2018-08-07 2:47 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-08-07 1:45 PM

You'd have been 'at home' on a site i stayed recently in Romania owned by a Dutch couple.

The Dutch love their rules, parking (of any vehicle) and 'wild' camping being favourite targets.

Colin.....i've changed my mind re. Dutch and parking rules! You should see what i woke up to this morning! I arrived on a site in Poland yesterday and parked the front of my van in a shaded area, plus it was near an ehu point. Dutch 'neighbours' to my o/side with caravan already on site but tables, chairs, and clothes driers spread all over the place. Polish 'neighbour' to my n/side i left ample room for another van....in fact you could park an RV there.

But overnight (must have been very late), another van squeezed right up on my o/side leaving a max gap of little more than 2.5ft. 8-) Only reason i can think is they may be with the Dutch tuggers.

Rayjsj - 2018-08-12 9:56 AM

Councils are fully occupied trying to maintain existing services without going bankrupt to worry about setting up ' nice to have' Aires or stellplatze.

Government greed and poor organisation to blame for that Ray. Rates continue to increase with very little to show for it and rates on business properties have reduced many towns to coffee and charity shops.

Bulletguy - 2018-08-13 12:24 PM

You'd have been 'at home' on a site i stayed recently in Romania owned by a Dutch couple.

The Dutch love their rules, parking (of any vehicle) and 'wild' camping being favourite targets.

Colin.....i've changed my mind re. Dutch and parking rules! You should see what i woke up to this morning! I arrived on a site in Poland yesterday and parked the front of my van in a shaded area, plus it was near an ehu point. Dutch 'neighbours' to my o/side with caravan already on site but tables, chairs, and clothes driers spread all over the place. Polish 'neighbour' to my n/side i left ample room for another van....in fact you could park an RV there.

But overnight (must have been very late), another van squeezed right up on my o/side leaving a max gap of little more than 2.5ft. 8-) Only reason i can think is they may be with the Dutch tuggers.

Make you mind up BG...

You either want a "No rules, please yourself, live and let live" approach or you don't.....you can't have it both ways... ;-)

Tracker - 2018-08-13 12:42 PM

It is simple economics, if we want better services we, as a nation, will have to pay for them.

In the end it comes down to there being only one way to pay for better services - higher taxation.

Simples!

Yep agree with that....

MHers constantly squealing about how unfair it all is and how "the council" should provide x,y& z etc and all for no major 'tax increase, is never going to solve anything..

pepe63 - 2018-08-13 12:45 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-08-13 12:24 PM

Make you mind up BG...

You either want a "No rules, please yourself, live and let live" approach or you don't.....you can't have it both ways... ;-)

This is on a campsite Pepe.....not an Aire or Stellplatz where i expect that.

It is simple economics, if we want better services we, as a nation, will have to pay for them.

In the end it comes down to there being only one way to pay for better services - higher taxation.

Simples!

VED up, property rates up and continually rising, yet i've seen no significant increase to local services.....in fact less when it comes to property....eg bins now emptied fortnightly where it used to be weekly, local library closed, public swimming baths closed, sub-PO closed, even the Police 'station' reduced to a single room office in town centre which only opens during the day.

For my sins I was in charge of purchasing for a local government organisation for 5 years and gained an insight into the way the systems work. Amongst the alarming facts I found that in my area only 36% of council housing tenants actually pay their rent and little if no action is taken to recoup outstanding balances some of which went back for many years but many were ongoing.Many of the non payers receive housing benefit so not sure why they did not pay their dues.

Despite this the local council has many millions in reserves, no doubt we all recall how many millions were on deposit in Iceland at the time of the crash. The waste of taxpayers money across all authorities I came into contact with was alarming. The cuts we all moan about are in many cases simply a matter of bad and unskilled management and there is a reluctance to use any reserves. The council I worked for was a labour controlled monopoly but the others I dealt with were from across the political spectrum.

My point is that we moan and complain but rarely challenge or identify the root cause of the problem. Maybe this point is also relevant to the C& MC.

Touch paper lit, now standing back!

Tracker - 2018-08-13 2:38 PM

Perhaps not enough of us are paying enough tax after all then!

If companies such as Starbucks, Google et al paid their fair share along with the many 'non dom' tax dodgers, then 'the little people' (google Leona Helmsley) wouldn't be paying anywhere near as much as we do.

One guy whose got his mind right is Nick Hanauer.

Simples!

Rich, true but another way tore dude pressure on services is to reduce demand...

we are spawning more and more people and the U.K. is an increasingly crowded country.

do we just wait until anarchy prevails due to completely failed provision, or down try and turn the tap off a bit now.....?

anyway, back to the OP....I've posted some views over on CT where the reaction was as predictable as night following day...

however, there is a way to 'tour' in the uk, stopping close to town centres, with no booking and paying on departure....just like we do over there when we use Aires......it's called Temporary Holiday Sites (THS).

these are time limited 'pop up' sites usually running for 14-40 days in farmers fiels, school playing fields, sports grounds, etc....

CCC has a full program of these spread all over the country and stopping usually cost between £8-10.

Ok, usually no toilets, no EHU, no showers....not unlike many Aires...but there is always fresh water, dry waste and toilet waste....Grey waste usually in a hedge....

not as numerous as Aires (obviously) and only in operation from April to October.....but provides cheap, no booking stops, close to urban areas.....generally much close thsn a licensed site would be...

Bulletguy - 2018-08-13 2:50 PM

If companies such as Starbucks, Google et al paid their fair share along with the many 'non dom' tax dodgers, then 'the little people' (google Leona Helmsley) wouldn't be paying anywhere near as much as we do.

Sorry but you are grasping at straws and trying to use your political pet hates as a scapegoat and it won't wash.

What the UK needs is measured in many billions not the few millions that some companies legally avoid, avoid note - not evade, paying and it is and always has been up to the government of the day to close loopholes, something they of both colours seem not to have done for many years.

It could also be argued that the thousands of people who work for these companies all pay tax and NI and VAT when they spend their earnings which would not be there if the companies went elsewhere, as well as a lot larger benefits bill.

There is no easy option - we all need to pay more income tax and there is no reason why retired people should not pay NI on income above a certain level, after all we as a section of the population are the biggest users of the NHS.

Tracker - 2018-08-13 5:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-08-13 2:50 PM

Sorry but you are grasping at straws and trying to use your political pet hates as a scapegoat and it won't wash.

What the UK needs is measured in many billions not the few millions that some companies legally avoid, avoid note - not evade, paying and it is and always has been up to the government of the day to close loopholes, something they of both colours seem not to have done for many years.

It could also be argued that the thousands of people who work for these companies all pay tax and NI and VAT when they spend their earnings which would not be there if the companies went elsewhere, as well as a lot larger benefits bill.

There is no easy option - we all need to pay more income tax and there is no reason why retired people should not pay NI on income above a certain level, after all we as a section of the population are the biggest users of the NHS.

No straws to grasp. The facts have been there for yonks but the subservient hair shirt "little people" willingly continue to unquestioningly crow 'oooh...we need to pay more taxes'. Fwiw UK has one of the lowest state pension figures (Spain is the highest with an average £29k pa). Did you watch that YT clip of Nick Hanauer? There are plenty more too. That guy talks sense and knows what he's talking about as he's been on both sides of the fence. Naturally he's upset a few fellow filthy rich plutocrats. If we had more 'one percenters' talking and thinking like Hanauer, the world would be a better place.

You carry on believing you need to pay more tax......UK Gov wants people like you. They will even grab your house if you end up needing social care in your dotage!

Archived