spanner symbol on 2004 Ducato instrument panel

gp1

Hi noticed this was on on way to campsite and wondered what it meant. Is it anything to do with recent oil change and having some sucked out. Maybe i should have left it alone. Anyway just a clue as to whether i should be worried and by how much. On my skoda the inspection light is always on and i never paid any mind to it. Dreamt last night i had a vauxhall viva which was sodden inside and rusting. Horrible dream.

You can do it yourself:

Set Odometer to read total miles.

Press Odometer Button (OB)

until CFG1 appears in display

Release the OB

Pressing the OB briefly

will change between CFG1, CFG2, CFG3, CFG1

Once you have selected the CFG (see below).

Press the OB again for 5secs

to store the new service frequency.

Turn off the ignition.

I see its just a coincidence that its come on now? I thought maybe after shoving down a syringe type thing into the engine they may have dislodged something like a sensor? Ok i will get a service done but no oil change. Thanks. So just to be clear it comes on when it thinks a service is due not because theres anything wrong? Cheers. I suppose it has other symbols to warn you if there is something that needs doing imminently and it might read find the nearest service centre or something. Ok thats put my mind at rest apart from trackers suggestion.

gp1 - 2018-08-07 8:00 PM

Ok thats put my mind at rest apart from trackers suggestion.

I hate to be the one to put a spanner in the works, but can you be sure that it is only coincidence as you only see it when you sit in the driver's seat and it may not come on at all if someone else sits there?

gp1 - 2018-08-07 8:00 PM

I see its just a coincidence that its come on now? I thought maybe after shoving down a syringe type thing into the engine they may have dislodged something like a sensor? Ok i will get a service done but no oil change. Thanks. So just to be clear it comes on when it thinks a service is due not because theres anything wrong? Cheers. I suppose it has other symbols to warn you if there is something that needs doing imminently and it might read find the nearest service centre or something. Ok thats put my mind at rest apart from trackers suggestion.

Presumably you have a Fiat Owner Handbook for your Ducato?

I’m looking at an on-line 2005 Ducato Owner Handbook (the earliest I can find) and this has a section towards the front describing the ‘Service Indicator’, what it’s for, how it functions and how to reset it.

As you rightly say, the service-indicator spanner symbol is just a reminder that a scheduled service is due in the near future and not a warning that there is a fault.

Scheduled servicing for a Ducato of your motorhome’s vintage was evidently based on time (every 365 days) or when a chosen distance configuration (CFG 1, 2 or 3) had been covered, whichever came first.

Comments on other motorhome forums suggest that some Ducatos of that era might have a more complex service indicator arrangement than others, but if you follow the instructions in your Owner Handbook you should be able to stop the spanner being displayed. However, If you are going to have your Ducato serviced, you might want to wait until that’s done before resetting the indicator.

(I assume you realise that Tracker’s comments are meant to be humorous...)

Yes thanks for that i am quite relieved that the van is not falling apart and that it is actually being quite helpfull by setting a reminder. Yes if the wheel was coming off i would expect there to be a wheel symbol on the dash. Yes i realise tracker is pulling my leg about it just showing when im sat in the drivers seat but it wont be long before onboard computers do have built in humour like in interstellar. Is the timer set yearly so fiat get more money through servicing? Starting to think about whether the drive is enjoyable or not. The gap between 4th and 5th gear is horrible and did most of my journey in 4th. Thanks for the heads up.

gp1 - 2018-08-08 9:33 AM

The gap between 4th and 5th gear is horrible and did most of my journey in 4th. Thanks for the heads up.

I've never found that, although with some vans you do need to change down early on a gradient, but even in it's lowest engine power output the van should cruise happily in 5th on the level.

It may well be there is nothing wrong but best get it checked when the van goes in for service.

PS

If a wheel comes off you won't need a light to tell you - just watch it to see where it goes as it overtakes you!

gp1 - 2018-08-08 9:33 AM

...Is the timer set yearly so fiat get more money through servicing?...

Historically, vehicle scheduled servicing always used to be performed annually and only fairly recently has the interval been extended beyond a year. Even when the interval is longer than one year (eg. 2 years for new-ish Ducato models) many people will still choose to have an interim oil/oil-filter change done.

Fiat would only get more money if servicing HAD to be carried out by a Fiat agent, but that’s not a mandatory requirement.

It was well-recognised that Ducatos with 5-speed gearboxes had a significant ratio step-up from 4th to 5th gear. It’s a ‘characteristic’ of the breed and you’ll need to adjust your driving technique to allow for it.

Ok great thankyou very much. Yes i suppose for the long distances where its fairly flat and speed restiction arent that sporadic. But going down south wales theres alot of 50 mgh signs and roundabouts and lanes that filter in. And bends. Theres nothing wrong with staying in fourth is there? Plus slow moving traffic fast moving traffic sometimes simpler and easier just to stay behind something slower like a lorry. Theres only going to be another one after that. And another.

Archived