National Battery labelling standard - Progress?

aandncaravan

Well my Battery Campaign must come to an end as my health won't allow it any longer.

I met the oncologist yesterday and because of the recent rapid decline I decided not to pursue the 3rd round of chemo on offer. It is unlikely to have any beneficial effect at this late stage, yet the side effects could be devastating.

I have been referred to the local Palliative Care team whose aim will be to make my last weeks as comfortable as possible and I have already been issued with Morphine (Oramorph) until they contact me.

My brother who is famous for being politically incorrect, referred to the team as the Death squad, and that comment made Natalie realise the stark reality of the situation and we had a few tears.

Natalie has been so strong through all this, absolutely amazing and the best wife a man could have.

To be fair to my brother, he has Heart and lung issues and is wheelchair bound living in sheltered accommodation where he regularly sees the Palliative care team come in, then after a short time a new resident move into the empty flat.

My brother has also been brilliant and a testament to his real character is just how much my two little ones love him. Best big brother ever.

We did make it to Haven holidays at Pwllheli and what a fantastic time Adam and Sophie had. The site has been completely revamped for this year, with 4 major new attractions only opening the week before we arrived and that made it all the more special.

I struggled a bit, but we really did make some lovely memories.

We have not finished yet though, got a busy day (actually it's quite gentle for Natalie and me but active for Adam and Sophie) planned for tomorrow. Almost every day next week after school has something going on from the RSPB at Conwy, the Pier and wandering around Smith's toy store with £20 from Grandad.

Thank you so much to everyone on here for all the support, prayers and kind words.

Natalie will be updating the Home page on the website with any updates.

Just one last word :

If you bump into anyone from the Motorhome and Caravan Club or any other relevant organisation, ask what they are doing to improve battery labelling.

Even a packet of sweets tells you whats inside, about time we had the same info on the batteries we buy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan

On the 5th April you said "Don't think I have long left now, but my goal is to survive past Easter week". Well you have made it and you need to set May Day bank holiday as your next target . In my past career as an MoD ammunition engineer we used to have to set targets and stretch targets. Maybe you can set the late May bank holiday as a stretch target and I am sure everyone on this forum will pray that you make with a reasonable quality of life.

On behalf of everyone on here I would like to thank you for all the help andknowledge you have given us all coupled with your determination and sense of humour. Lets hope Trading Standards follows through with a shake up of the battery standards and your efforts produce a lasting legacy.

Good luck

John

Archived