National Battery labelling standard - Progress?

aandncaravan

Great news Allan, so pleased you are able to fight the beast - and the cancer!

I used to have a Vitesse that colour many moons ago and a previous owner had put a 2.5pi engine in what started out as a 1600! Geez it went - it didn't corner or stop too well but it was huge fun until a family came along and I had to get a sensible car!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Minor progress on batteries : The the DBEIS have batteries going through testing in Germany. I think there are over 60 on test? Some of which have been verified by the NCC.

On my own progress with my Cancer battle, some good news.

The Spleen tumour has shrunk and is now being talked of as a 'cyst' rather than a tumour. The Liver tumour has grown, but only slightly, less than expected.

The eight tumours in my Lungs are now 6, but these remaining 6 are either slightly bigger or the same size as before.

But the best news is that the expected appearance of new Tumours has not happened. Not one extra little blighter.

The addition of Type 2 diabetes into the mix in October complicates things, but when you consider I didn't expect to see October and we are now planning the best Christmas ever, that has got to be a great result.

So while I am still on borrowed time, all those good wishes and prayers must have helped.

So thank you everyone for the emails, PM's and prayers, PLEASE keep them going..

I have spoken to Daniel at MMM about publishing some kind of article warning that AGM batteries must be charged with an AGM optimised charging system or premature failure will result and he has said if I put something together he MAY consider publishing it.

To further help the MMM team see how big the premature AGM battery failure problem is, may we please ask anyone who has not got the anticipated 8 - 10 year life out of an AGM battery to write to the MMM 'Letters' page highlighting your experience?

I have to admit, as I read some of your recent posts I was wondering about your health, given that the prognosis was so bleak a few months back, so really pleased to hear things are looking up. I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling, but I guess the knowledge that it can slow or even reverse must be hugely encouraging. Given my views on religion I can't offer prayers, but you certainly have my good wishes.

Hope to be reading your posts for a long time to come.

Andy

Maybe the PM should get you on her team you seem to have a lot more success on both the health front and the battery BS purge than she has had of late. Reading about your health improvement is one of the nicest stories this Christmas - congrats. It is nice when the good guys win.
Cheers,

Thank you everyone for the nice things said.

Aandy, I wonder if 'prayers' are about religion or more about projecting positive energy in a certain direction?

I think I am a religious person, but also believe that the mind has amazing potential for things we don't always understand.

Geeco, I am not sure anybody would want to be on T. May's team right now?

I certainly don't, having too much fun with my Wife and 2 children, making the most of every minute.

We went to see Cinderella in Llandudno last night and I had as great a time as my kids. My wife said it was like being out with 3 children.

aandncaravan - 2018-12-10 1:00 AM .... having too much fun with my Wife and 2 children, making the most of every minute. We went to see Cinderella in Llandudno last night and I had as great a time as my kids. My wife said it was like being out with 3 children.

That's the ticket! I don't think it makes sense for any of us to be holding our breath for an end to the Brexit saga, let alone volunteering to get involved in trying to engineer a solution!

• 1 month later...

Just had an email from the government team investigating the mis-labelling and misselling of batteries.

This includes the following statement:

Test results I have are startling and concern me. I will be interested in the explanations of these importers/distribution/rebranders when I make contact with them.

You will note that the issue is solely with " importers/distribution/rebranders ", not the big battery manufacturers.

We have found that it is the likes of the Enduroline, Powerline, Platinum, etc made in the Far East usually to the lowest possible specification and with labels printed and applied in the UK that often don't mirror the battery's internals.

At the beginning of the year we had a motorhome with a duff battery that tested with the wrong resistance for it's technology. The capacity claims on the label also made me suspicious. When it was cut open, what was stated to be an AGM on the label turned out to be a very poor quality wet/flooded battery. You will not be surprised to hear it had the name of one of our least favourite 'makes'.

The government team have said they will release more info when they can, but as some of the test results will lead to Court appearances, that may be only limited information in the case of specific perpetrators.

As I have said before, not one big name battery manufacturer has any question marks on their batteries so sticking to these is safe and sensible. However, we would advise caution if considering any NCC verified Leisure battery other than the big names of Varta, Exide, Bosch, Yuasa, Banner.

When choosing batteries from the NCC Verified battery scheme, if a battery sounds too good to be true, you can be sure it is.

dipsticks - 2019-02-08 10:31 AM

Great work and result Allan, well done.

Why do they take so long whilst honest hard working folk are being relieved of their hard earned and not getting what they expect and have been told they're going to get.

That is something I am finding frustrating, but when a battery is tested to BS EN 50342 it is charged fully for several hours rested 4 hours then slowly discharged, rested for 4 hours then recharged, etc.

The charge/discharge is calculated to be a 'percentage' of each batteries capacity so that it is comparable regardless of the batteries size.

On a bigger battery that can take an entire day for a single cycle. With a battery claiming 600 cycles that is a long, long time.

It makes you wonder how DBS Energy managed to test their 2,000 cycle battery which would take about 5.4 years, when the technology they are using has been around in the company for a lot less than that.

But it must be right, because the NCC have also 'verified' the test results "using independent Test houses". Maybe the NCC use a test house that has some magic way of independently replicating a 5 year cycle test in a month?

How about a Victron Lithium battery with claimed 5,000 cycles (potential 13 year test process) when the Lithium Iron technology it uses has only been prevalent for about 3 years?

My concern after some comments in this mornings email is that because testing can be so protracted for a quality high technology battery, the testing might be 'shortcut' to just testing capacity, as in it's Ah rating, for some Leisure batteries.

• 1 month later...

No news on batteries, but there has been a marked decline in my health and as this thread has become an update I both, here goes.

I truly didn't expect to be here in April 2019 writing any sort of update.

When I was told in July 2018 that I had incurable cancer and had only months to live, I really didn't think I would see October.

On the drive back from the hospital I resolved to make the most of the time I had left. Picked the kids up from School and we all went straight to the beach, next day we went to Llandudno and out on the Pier and that has been the marker for every day since.

The weekends were full of days out and things to do, splashing on Benlech beach on Anglesey or learning all about the bravery of the RNLI at Moelfre Lifeboat mini 'museum'.

Didn't matter what we did, we always had a great time.

Then one day Beverly, who owns the 'Be More Local' convenience store in Penrhyn Bay said that she hoped I didn't mind but she had written to the Honey Rose foundation asking if they could do anything for Adam and Sophie to build memories with Dad before he goes.

Bev was aware we lost everything when the Atlantic Motorhome business folded, including the house.

The tears in my eyes told her I wasn't offended.

A week or so later she told me she had started a 'Go Fund Me' web page to raise money so we could see Chester Zoo Lanterns, as she had been with her children and thought the lanterns were amazing. The local Golf Club and businesses got involved and she eventually raised close on £1,700 including pantomime tickets for Cinderella, Cinema tickets for Mary Poppins 2, invites to children's parties, etc.

Needles to say it was all put to good use and lots of memories created. So many, many things. The high light probably being 5 days in London during February half term.

Back in July 2018 I could not have guessed what an unbelievable happy time would grow out of that awful prognosis. For it to last over 8 months is incredible.

So although I am now on my final lap, I couldn't have imagined a better way to bow out, so please can anyone reading this be happy for me not sad.

I am one of the lucky ones.

There are so many things I wanted to be around for as my children grow, but the one thing I really wanted was to help them get into university.

The good news last week is that part of the industry that has been victim of my desire for reform and change has offered to donate money to a charity or cause of my choice in recognition of my campaigning.

I asked if setting up a scholarship style fund for my children after I am gone counted as a good cause. After some discussion with legal teams, accountants, etc. they said it did as I was not benefiting directly.

So absolutely delighted.

It isn't much, but will hopefully get them started at university and you never know even the NCC might chip in latter. :-D :D

I finished chemo in mid February because a longer treatment period results in destroyed Bone Marrow so it had to come to an end.

So I was given a 6 week break to see how I progressed, with a CT scan after 4 weeks.

Got the results of the scan on Wednesday and the Lung tumours are all at least double in size since the scan 3 months ago. The largest Liver tumour has also doubled in size and there are also new tumours. Seems like the first 3 months went well, then the tumours found a way of protecting themselves against the chemo.

I hope to soon start a third chemo drug, Lonsurf, but the side effects on White and Red Blood cells are severe, and as I have already made multiple recent hospital visits due to complications of both a Lung and Liver infection, I may not be able to stay on it very long.

No guarantee it will even slow things down so it will be a bit of trial and error.

Don't think I have long left now, but my goal is to survive past Easter week, as thanks to Bev and the Honey Rose foundation, Haven Holidays have given Adam and Sophie a week at the site near Pwllheli starting Easter Monday. I think it is something they will love and I hope it is something they will remember all their lives. Fingers crossed.

Allan, rather than privately e mail you as before, I've decided to post here. Its difficult to know what to say, but your family can be so proud of you.

You are an inspiration and I'm sure I'm not the only one to have benefitted enormously from your knowledge and experience. Its a pity we've never met as I would love to have bought you a pint, a coffee, a nip, whatever is your tipple.

I remember a long time back being slightly miffed when you criticised certain B2Bs of which I was a fan. On the following van rather than install a B2B I, a little sceptically, adopted your beefed up wiring and chunky split charge relay recommendation. I'm glad I did as I achieved a great result at a fraction of the cost of a B2B.

So thank you Allan for everything and I hope your journey is comfortable.

Oh Allan, tears in my eyes writing this too. You have faced an appalling situation with courage and commitment to your family which I’m sure your children will remember and come to understand with real pride. God bless you and your family. Stuart

Thanks Allan for using your valuable time to post the "sad/happy" update of 5th April.

Glad to hear you've been using your time constructively to enjoy life to the full with your family.....enhanced by the additional help and support from Bev and others.

Your enthusiastic support to the motorhome community has been invaluable to many (gaining world-wide recognition via your website). I'm unaware of any similar unbiased resource. You should be very proud of your achievements....as we are are proud of you, giving up your time freely, to help others.

You've certainly helped me out over the years and advanced my knowledge immensely, for which I'm eternally grateful.

Easter wishes to you and your family. John

You are nothing short of an inspiration to us all Alan. My younger brother (who lives alone) is going through something very similar and I have tried to be with him every step,of the way - especially through the chemo which severely damaged his blood chemistry. So I have a certain insight into just what you have had to contend with only to find that nothing further will work. To face all of that is really hard. To do it and still continue to help people on here and continue your campaign is truly amazing. To do all of that and yet face up to an inevitable end but make the most positive use of your time with your family shows great courage and fortitude.

I thank you for the help, information and knowledge you have passed on to me in the past. Make many more memories.

Regards, David

Archived