Yet another battery question

aandy

Fesspark, that makes me wonder if the battery is actually being charged at all by the inboard EHU charger?

Are you sure the charger is working, what voltage and current are you seeing on the Display Panel when the charger is switched on? This obviously needs to be done when no other charging is taking place, like Solar, etc.

If the charger has failed and your 'backup' battery is down at 12v then it may not be as good as you thought?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is possible that the charger is,nt working? When the sun went down, the battery went immediatly to 12.2 Reading?It also went down after I disconnected the Electric hook up after 24 Hrs.? If thats the case whats the likely cause and can I rectfy it or do I need the warrenty people to deal with it,as I was planning a short trip for a few days fesspark

I

fesspark - 2018-10-21 8:12 AM

Just read the battery and it is reading only 12v and says half charged,it looks as though it is the charger not working,Where would I find that?fesspark

I don't know what EBL is in your van, but if it is a Schaudt EBL, the charger is probably inside the EBL.

Some basic checks that might help -

On your display, is the mains indicator on?

If yes, then check the charger output fuse on the EBL. On my EBL223, it is a 20Amp fuse labelled "Int Lademodul"

If no, then check there is mains power on the IEC "kettle" lead that is plugged into the EBL. Maybe a breaker has trippedor the plug is loose?.

If there is mains power and the charger output fuse is ok, then it looks like the charger is at fault. There is an 3A fuse on the mains input side, but I don't think you can access it without removing the EBL. If this has blown, there is probably something wrong with the charger in any case.

• 1 month later...
kevina - 2018-09-01 11:21 PM

I'm in the middle of a test on my 5 year old gel batteries which have been heavily used for 4 months annually, half of which whilst on skiing trips using very little hookup.

Kevina, We are always trying gather more information, so wondered if you would share what you found with the Gel battery testing you planned to carry out a while ago?

Archived