Payloads and 7m motorhomes

Dawn.Patterson

I’m seeking advice from the more experienced motorhomers??my OH and I are entering the world of motorhoming with our three dogs in tow. Our driveway allows a maximum length of 7m but we are baffled by the wide range of payloads which appear to vary according to year of manufacture (as do the lengths of some models). Our three dogs have a combined weight of 110kg which has knocked the Auto Trail Apache 632 on the head by the looks of it. The Burstner range look as if they have a more realistic payload but I would love to hear other people’s thoughts and any words of wisdom will be very welcome!!

I'm sure others who are able to give coherent replies will help you out, meanwhile I will confuse the issue even more, payloads esp over the years may not be calculated all the same, also you need to be aware of axle loadings', but hopefully at 7m this will not be too much of a issue.

Just to confound the picture even more, payloads are often subject to a +/- 5% allowance to be added or subtracted from the vehicle weight which, due to manufacturing 'tolerances' can vary, and funnily enough they seem to be nearly always on the minus side.

Payloads also often exclude such add ons as, awning, extra batteries, solar panels, spare wheel and anything else the converter can get away with.

With three substantial dogs I suspect you will need more not less payload!

You also need to ensure that your driving license will allow you to drive vans over 3.5 tonnes as that looks like where you are heading!

Some vans can be easily upgraded to increase the GVW and people like 'SV Tech' are very knowledgeable and heplful.

http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

And to confound you more the payload = the max load less the kerb weight.

Definition of kerb weight varies between different manufacturers, depending on how much water is carried, size of gas cylinders, amount of fuel and if fittings are included such as awnings, bigger engines.

Spread sheet time !

Rgds

Thank you for replying so quickly everybody and from my research I have realised there are so many ways of what constitutes the payload depending on the manufacturer....haha! Definitely calls for a spreadsheet??????. We are of a certain age so the driving licence is fine for heavier weights....I suspect we may well be heading towards needing a bigger boat....I mean motorhome!!

Not sure what breeds you have but I'm guessing they are at least Alsation size.

If your maximum length is 7m, I'd recommend looking at those c6.5m to give yourself some breathing space. The longer the van, the more likely is it to be heavier.

A dropped down bed or luton [fixed bed above the cab] will give you additional floor space although such beds are not for everyone.

You need to establish a budget and whether you want new or second hand. Also, how will the dogs be restrained during travel. If money was no object, or you want a second hand van, then the Hymer Exsis range is worth a look because it was designed to be low weight [other makes do similar ranges]. At the lower end of the market, Elddis do a range of popular vans which have good payloads. Chausson's are also popular at the moment so perhaps one of theirs with a drop down bed in the lounge.

I've always be;ieved that the best way to choose a van is to discard those you can't have. This narrows the choice down.

Another consideration: MH manufacturers have in recent years tried to artificially boost the payload they quote by assuming that you will carry (in the case of Hymer) only 20 litres of water when you are driving.  Since one of the great freedoms of MHs is to be free to travel and stop without booking a site where there will always be a tap, check carefully what is being allowed for in the quoted payload.

Restraining 3 dogs could be a problem unless you can find one with 5 seat belts. Consider one with a storage compartment at the back with access from both sides that could have sliding windows and cages fitted. Also remember to take the weight of their food into account.

You definitely need to take it to a weigh bridge full with water, fuel, gas, You both and the dogs a allowance can be made for clothes, food, tools barbeques what have you.Then pay attention to axle weights and total weight no good being within total weight and a axle being well over

Your problem is that no dealer will let you fill the motorhome and then take it to a weighbridge. So you are reliant on the manufacturer's figures. Which are very unreliable.

Owners' clubs are a useful source of actual weights and information.

If you are buying second hand you could ask for a recent weighbridge certificate, but really you need something on a "heavy" chassis (16" wheels usually) or uprated to 3850kg. But for both you need a C1 licence.

Or even better look for Rear Wheel Drive as some models have a higher rear axle limit than a comparable front wheel drive and are less prone to getting stuck on damp grass. Typical base vehicles would then be the Ford Transit (but not all are RWD), Mercedes Sprinter or IVECO on heavier MH's.

Keith.

Billggski - 2018-08-20 4:54 PM

Your problem is that no dealer will let you fill the motorhome and then take it to a weighbridge. So you are reliant on the manufacturer's figures. Which are very unreliable.

You don't need it filled as you can work out the added weight needed to make it work as long as you have a reliable actual verifiable unladen weight.

You also need to be aware of maximum axle loads particularly with long rear overhang vans, just to add to the chaos!

Hi,

If you add three big dogs to the back end of a long-tailed van, the weight on the rear axle will increase by more than the weight of the dogs, but the weight on the front axle will decrease. Principle of levers.

The best place for weight is mid-way between the axles, and low down.

Eating a pile of sandwiches, and drinking the contents of the water tank will not reduce the gross weight of your van.

In the UK, it is acceptable for the weight of a vehicle to increase by 5% in the course of a journey. So pick up your wife at the corner.

Dawn.Patterson - 2018-08-21 5:44 PM

I like the thinking outside the box so now, folks, I need advice on boat vs skateboard as a suitable towing vehicle for a downsized MoHo!! Only kidding??????

We had some friends who used to tow their 'trailer sailer' boat, minus mast etc, and use it as a caravan - cheaper than a moho, and if Noah's flood ever came again they could simply sail home, more multi tasking simplicity!

Archived