Stolen Ford Motorhomes

PAJay

3 FORD motorhomes where stolen from" a secure "storage site in Waterlooville Hampshire some days ago.

The thieves where able to get on line a device that will read gate codes. They where caught on camera, but had obviously been aware of them, as they had cover up with plastic bags to hide feet/hands etc, and therefore fingerprints. 1 has been recovered.

Just letting any one with a Ford van to get extra locks put on as an extra measure.

If you search for "ford transit break-in" you can see how easy it is with just a mole grip. And you can now buy electronic aids on Amazon to link to the ecu and start the engine. Deadlocks or other safety add ons may help, but visible security such as steering locks, wheel locks or locking the seats turned backwards will, hopefully, persuade them to move onto an easier target.

Spot on Billggski.

A friendly commercial van driver has just talked me through how he could steal my Fiat van within a minute or two if he had access to the cab and the appropriate electronic devices/software which are freely and legally available. This included disabling my alarm and starting the engine.

What makes the Transit attractive to thieves seems to be the ease in which the doors can be opened, the ease of getting the right software for a Ford, and the number of Ford Transits sold. He said many commercial Transits are fitted with heavy duty locks by the owners to deter thieves.

Visible deterrents seem to be a must, not just for Transits.

The problem with external security measures, i.e. upgrading locks etc is that there are other easier ways to gain entry (plastic windows, hab door etc). The best security measures are visible, physical immobilisers such as steering locks and pedal locks. There are also dummy OBDII ports that you can link up to the original but will only provide power and not access to the onboard computer. Thieves are getting more sophisticated with the electronics and are able to by-pass security measures, but hard physical deterents will provide more of a challenge and take longer to by-pass which could mean they move on to an easier target.

In the past we simply removed part of the engine starting mechanism. There must surely be a removable modern part that could disable a vehicle ?

A simple long length of High Tensile chain looped around everything with two or three different HT locks.

Will86 - 2018-08-30 10:43 AM

In the past we simply removed part of the engine starting mechanism. There must surely be a removable modern part that could disable a vehicle ?

A simple long length of High Tensile chain looped around everything with two or three different HT locks.

On a old Viva had fitted a switch on low tension 'running' contact of coil (as opposed to the starting contact) this was great as the car would fire up then 'die', someone tried to nick it, they got into car ok but obviously couldn't start it, it appears they even tried bumping it across a sloping carpark.

Wasn't Me - 2018-08-29 7:26 PM

Do you know the types of motorhome and the year.

I'm concerned about ours is at risk.

I don't know the years. We kept our van there for 12 years. Sold it , and removed it the monday before the breakin!! We fitted hoe locks th cab doors , only able to open from the inside with a key!

The thieves had obviously known about the security cameras etc. The theft was at 1-1.30 am on sat/sunday

PJay

colin - 2018-08-30 11:13 AM
Will86 - 2018-08-30 10:43 AMIn the past we simply removed part of the engine starting mechanism. There must surely be a removable modern part that could disable a vehicle ?A simple long length of High Tensile chain looped around everything with two or three different HT locks.
On a old Viva had fitted a switch on low tension 'running' contact of coil (as opposed to the starting contact) this was great as the car would fire up then 'die', someone tried to nick it, they got into car ok but obviously couldn't start it, it appears they even tried bumping it across a sloping carpark.

Did the same on my old A35. Wired a switch to the electric fuel pump feed wire. It would run for 30 secs then die. Switch was an old round house light switch screwed under the dash. Used to forget myself sometimes!

Another trick when we parked in a strange place was to have a look for any suspicious vehicles or people nearby, then ask the wife to pose against our van for a picture, with the camera pointed at her but making sure any suspect onlookers were included and most important making sure they knew they were included.

Archived