Cone Country and average speed cams

Bulletguy

Travelling down to Black Forest from Calais Via Belgium and I have lost count on the amount of roadworks we have been through. Today from Mosel to Freiburg we were directed off the motorway once due to roadworks, and had a 30 mins holdup, and the a bit further on we were stuck for nearly an hour in a set of roadworks that funnelled three lanes into one. And don’t get me started on the convoys of wagons. So not all a bed of roses over on the continent.

Are these the convoys of lorries that are kept in the inside lane and banned from truck racing a la UK?

Too often stuck for miles where one wee willy waver tries and often fails to pass another with 1/2 mph difference in speed thereby reducing 2 lanes to none or 3 lanes to one.

Bring on the convoys.

<<< After leaving Dunkerque i think the first cam warning my gps picked up was somewhere in Nederland at 130kph enroute to Germany. I can easily live with that! >>>

Hi,

I understood that "zap camera" warning devices were forbidden in France, and Monsieur Plod KNOWS when there is one in your vehicle, even when it is switched off.

<<< Too often stuck for miles where one wee willy waver tries and often fails to pass another with 1/2 mph difference in speed ... >>>

Hi,

I would argue that, while it is the overtaing driver who caused this situation (lack of judgement), only the driver nearest the kerb can safely resolve it.

Yes, the overtaker should, morally, be the one to slow down. But he has no way of knowing whether or not a small vehicle is tucked in behind the truck he is attempting to overtake.

If the overtaken truck eases off by one mile per hour, the situation will resolve itself in about 30 seconds.

On many occasions, I have lifted off the throttle of my 50 year old Land Rover to allow an HGV to complete his pass.

Try driving an old Land Rover towing a car transporter trailer round the A25. 50mph in Lane 1, no problem .... until Lane 1 becomes the exit slip road, and you need to move over to Lane 2, which is full of nose to tail traffic all doing, say, 70mph. Are they going to let you in? Sod it ... get into Lane 2, and stay there.

W3526602 - 2018-09-05 6:03 AM

<<< Too often stuck for miles where one wee willy waver tries and often fails to pass another with 1/2 mph difference in speed ... >>>

Hi,

I would argue that, while it is the overtaing driver who caused this situation (lack of judgement), only the driver nearest the kerb can safely resolve it.

Yes, the overtaker should, morally, be the one to slow down. But he has no way of knowing whether or not a small vehicle is tucked in behind the truck he is attempting to overtake.

If the overtaken truck eases off by one mile per hour, the situation will resolve itself in about 30 seconds.

On many occasions, I have lifted off the throttle of my 50 year old Land Rover to allow an HGV to complete his pass.

Try driving an old Land Rover towing a car transporter trailer round the A25. 50mph in Lane 1, no problem .... until Lane 1 becomes the exit slip road, and you need to move over to Lane 2, which is full of nose to tail traffic all doing, say, 70mph. Are they going to let you in? Sod it ... get into Lane 2, and stay there.

Well I do that and as soon as you slow down the one behind you pulls out as well, each one cutting in so close you hv to slow down some more in an attempt to maintain a safe gap - especially since the one behind is following so close you fear if you have to brake stop suddenly he can't stop.

Police could do more to prosecute for tailgaiting, nfortunately its easier just to enforce speed limits whetherthey are necessary or not.

But perhaps the biggest problem is congestion. The short termism nature of British politics, coupled with the devolution of power to local authorities - a Nimby's charter, has caused under investment in long term projects like road building.

EJB - 2018-09-05 8:37 AM

Went round the Antwerp ring a couple of weeks ago and the road on one side of Antwerp was completely closed for roadworks....in the middle of August!

Have found the Belgians to be strange!

Roll on Brexit!!

Archived