Any BBQ recommendations?

TSG

Marcol - 2018-09-10 3:18 PM

Not everyone loves dogs , especially the yappy little ones. So I’ll carry on with my charcoal Bbq as long as “dog lovers” let their dogs bark at all hours of the day and night

Well that makes you worse than them doesn't it?

Loud noise isn't going to damage your health (unless its loud enough to damage your eardrums in which case you can temper it with earplugs)

But toxic chargoal fumes will. Thats why people have been using it to commit suicide with since car exhausts were cleaned up with catalytic converters etc. We don't allow others to damage our health with cigarette smoke or unneccarily polluting car exhausts etc. We have smoke free zones to stop people poisoning our cities. So why do they allow it on campsites?

laimeduck - 2018-09-10 3:19 PM
John52 - 2018-09-10 9:27 AMApart from causing nuisance to neighbours, barbecues have become notorious for undercooked food. Undercooked steak isn't too bad because e-coli lives on the surface - until it is minced into sausages and burgers distributing it to the undercooked inside. Then there is Salmonella in Chicken ......One person getting incapacitated by food poisoning is bad enough. But what when its all of you in a motorhome, long way from home and nobody to drive it back.......I'll stick to my pressure cooker - sausages and burgers look a bit pale but at least I know they are safe and not dried up - even when cooked straght from frozen :-D

I agree - if people don't know how to cook properly,  then  BBQ cooking is not for them but it ain't rocket science to cook really well on a BBQ. Don't blame the equipment-  blame the numpties who can't use them properly! 
I saw a public health programme where the tested a few of the new high priced premium burger chains for e-coli. They didn't find unacceptable levels, but they did find the insides of the thick burgers had not been heated to a temperature that would kill them. Maybe the premium burger chains were particularly careful about where they sourced their meat .. or just lucky as only a few were tested?The mass market burger chains like Mc Donalds seem to get round it by putting 2 thin burgers in their big mac rather than one thick one - controlling the grill temperature and timing the cooking process to perfection so they are sure the inside has reached a temperature to kill any bacteria.I can't be that sure of the quality of the meat I buy when travelling, or controll the cooking process that closely on a barbecue!! so put it in the pressure cooker where you can boil it long enough to thoroughly cook it through without drying it up. It might come out looking like pig-swill, so woudn't do to serve in a restaurant, but at least I know its safe and leaves you with a nice warm feeling inside :-D instead of excrutiating pain from food poisoning >:-(

jjsbc - 2018-09-11 10:00 AM

just don't eat anything

If you want to kill yourself there are quicker ways than that - like inhaling barbecue fumes which people have been using to commit suicide since they cleaned up car exhausts.

But if you get a life try not to spoil it by spreading toxic poisonous gases, getting food poisoning from undercooked meat, burning yourself or spreading fire - all of which has been caused by barbecues many times.

We have a Cadac Safari Chef 2. It's small , runs on small cans of gas that can work out cheaper than Gaz 907 canisters and a lot easier to store, Or any gas canister that will take 28 / 30 millibar regulator.

Packs away in its own bag. Newer version have new non stick surface, so very easy to clean.

Ok for two of use, a bit small for larger crowds.

We are not great BBQ fans but do single pot or stir fry meals on the Chef, works ok, maybe a bigger burner for stir frying, but ok for all else.

Rgds

Archived