Passport renewal shocker!!!

Keithl

Amazing the number of us who know better than the government, the bank of England, the CBI, the Farmers' Union, the Trades Unions, and so on because 42 years ago all was different.

All I know is that when I travelled to the continent in the 60's I obtained an international driving permit, (but then I had to paint my headlights yellow as well)

Billggski - 2018-09-15 8:10 PM

All I know is that when I travelled to the continent in the 60's I obtained an international driving permit, (but then I had to paint my headlights yellow as well)

Yes, that's how I remember the '60's. International Driving Permit and yellow headlights for France.

Cattwg :-D

I have just taken this off https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-nationals/index_en.htm

“If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

?1) valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,

?2) which was issued within the previous 10 years.”

Could this last sentence explain why outstanding months are not added to a new passport? Yes it would have been issued inside the 10 year window but in theory the new passport would be valid for longer than 10 years. I realise the logic is a bit ‘flaky’ but it’s just the sort of bureaucratic nonsense beloved by some officials.

Cattwg :-D

Billggski - 2018-09-15 8:10 PM

Amazing the number of us who know better than the government, the bank of England, the CBI, the Farmers' Union, the Trades Unions, and so on because 42 years ago all was different.

It's not a question of knowing better but of not being rattled by what can at best only be informed speculation. None of the bodies mentioned knows what will happen, only what might happen, and in the case of the unions and CBI have a vested interest in creating concern. Add to that the lack of objectivity in the way these predictions are reported in the media, and it's not difficult to see why some of us might be skeptical. As I and another contributor have pointed out, countries all over the world recognise each other's driving licences, often with far less aligned driving and licencing standards, so why should that not continue to be the case among a group of states that have for decades had closely aligned standards?

I stand to be corrected but, as far as I remember, although it was common to obtain an IDP to drive on the continent in the 1960s and before, it was never a legal requirement. Either way, it certainly wasn't from the 1970s onwards, which is still long before we joined the EU.

I stand to be corrected but, as far as I remember, although it was common to obtain an IDP to drive on the continent in the 1960s and before, it was never a legal requirement. Either way, it certainly wasn't from the 1970s onwards, which is still long before we joined the EU.
I agree with your post except that if I remember correctly when visiting Spain one had to have a "Bail bond" and I thought an IDP?  Maybe they were advisory not mandatory though? In those days the Franco Guardia Civil were not to be messed with, so it may just have been a sensible precaution!

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2018-09-16 4:02 PM

I agree with your post except that if I remember correctly when visiting Spain one had to have a "Bail bond" and I thought an IDP?  Maybe they were advisory not mandatory though? In those days the Franco Guardia Civil were not to be messed with, so it may just have been a sensible precaution!

When I drove my new Honda Accord back from Gib in 78 I had to get a IDP because the border was closed so I had to go via Tangier *-) .........

Cant recall anyone wanting to see it :-S .......although the Moroccan port plod required their palms greased :-| ...........

Hi,

We moved house, informed DVLA of our new address. New licences arrived, were placed on the mantleshelf. SWMBO eventually said "cut up those licences", which as a good husband does, I did. I'll let you guess the rest. Replacement licences are £20 each. Her fault.

Trying to recover the situation, I emptied my wallet. The licence that expired when we moved house in 2014 had a Union flag. The licence that expired when we moved this year has the EU "Ring of Stars".

Should we anticipate having to change our EU licences back to UK versions after BREXIT ... and at what cost?

Will we have to surrender our EU licences? Will we still retain our EU entitlement, and if so, who will keep the records? When I applied for a Malaysian licence in 1965, I showed my UK licence as proof of entitlement, but walked out holding both UK and Malaysian licences. If a Colonial visits UK and takes a UK driving test, they will get a UK licence, but nobody will ask them to surrender their home licence, or even ask if they have one..

Archived