IH MOTORHOMES PVC

sandalwood

pelmetman - 2018-10-03 9:04 AM

pepe63 - 2018-10-01 11:13 AM

I would assume that Bill changed their van(s) because he/they wanted to and that he/they could afford to do so.

All this- I've had my van for 20-30 years- malarkey fools no one. The reason some folk keep a vehicle that long is because they just couldn't afford to buy a newer one, plain and simple.

So if folk are in a position to renew/change their vehicles frequently, be they MHs or cars, then good luck to them.

When we inherited Horace my parents decided to swap from tugging to campers......he got through 6 in 24 years ..........

They were.......................and..............Reason for change/sale.......

2nd hand A/S PVC..............................To fat to fit in it .......

2nd hand A/S Clubman.......................Unreliable VW chassis.......

New Compass Coachbuilt...................Lean't to far over at roundabouts.........

New Pilote A Class..............................Leaked like a sieve..........

New Rapido A Class...........................Telly too high..........

New Hymer A Class............................He became a danger to other road users 8-) ........

As you know ;-) ........I semi retired at 46........and retired proper at 58 B-) ..........

He had to keep working until he was 70 to fund his Moho habit *-) ........

So who made the most sensible decision? :D ..........

All very fascinating I'm sure...:-S

but none of which, in any way changes the fact that you've had to stick with the van you inherited over a quarter of a century ago because if you were being honest with yourself you couldn't really afford to stump up the wedge for a new one.

There's no shame in that, sums of 50-70K are silly amount of money to spend..

(I'd love a flash VW 4motion based campervan but I'm not raiding out savings to fund one...but I certainly wouldn't constantly sneer at those that do buy new).

So I'll say again, if folk want to spend their money on new vans or cars , then good luck to them..and if others have to resort to justifying why they haven't done similar, (be that by totting up what others have spent out on their MHs or preferring to keep hold of their savings) , then they probably shouldn't (couldn't?) buy new anyway.

Off Topic

In fact if you(Pelmetman) hadn't inherited the van your are now living in (on your Mil's driveway), what would you still have?... Your Fiat Amigo?

If so, that would shoot your constant sniping at others for not buying British in the foot.

RE; Your "retiring". "to retire" usually implies that someone was working to start with... (lol) )

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-10-03 10:02 AM

pelmetman - 2018-10-03 9:04 AM

pepe63 - 2018-10-01 11:13 AM

I would assume that Bill changed their van(s) because he/they wanted to and that he/they could afford to do so.

All this- I've had my van for 20-30 years- malarkey fools no one. The reason some folk keep a vehicle that long is because they just couldn't afford to buy a newer one, plain and simple.

So if folk are in a position to renew/change their vehicles frequently, be they MHs or cars, then good luck to them.

When we inherited Horace my parents decided to swap from tugging to campers......he got through 6 in 24 years ..........

They were.......................and..............Reason for change/sale.......

2nd hand A/S PVC..............................To fat to fit in it .......

2nd hand A/S Clubman.......................Unreliable VW chassis.......

New Compass Coachbuilt...................Lean't to far over at roundabouts.........

New Pilote A Class..............................Leaked like a sieve..........

New Rapido A Class...........................Telly too high..........

New Hymer A Class............................He became a danger to other road users 8-) ........

As you know ;-) ........I semi retired at 46........and retired proper at 58 B-) ..........

He had to keep working until he was 70 to fund his Moho habit *-) ........

So who made the most sensible decision? :D ..........

All very fascinating I'm sure...:-S

but none of which, in any way changes the fact that you've had to stick with the van you inherited over a quarter of a century ago because if you were being honest with yourself you couldn't really afford to stump up the wedge for a new one.

There's no shame in that, sums of 50-70K are silly amount of money to spend..

(I'd love a flash VW 4motion based campervan but I'm not raiding out savings to fund one...but I certainly wouldn't constantly sneer at those that do buy new).

So I'll say again, if folk want to spend their money on new vans or cars , then good luck to them..and if others have to resort to justifying why they haven't done similar, (be that by totting up what others have spent out on their MHs or preferring to keep hold of their savings) , then they probably shouldn't (couldn't?) buy new anyway.

Off Topic

In fact if you(Pelmetman) hadn't inherited the van your are now living in (on your Mil's driveway), what would you still have?... Your Fiat Amigo?

If so, that would shoot your constant sniping at others for not buying British in the foot.

RE; Your "retiring". "to retire" usually implies that someone was working to start with... (lol) )

Sorry to disappoint you Pepe ;-) ........

But we have way more equity than my old man ever did :D .......and through no fault of mine the likely hood of inheriting even more :$ ..........and no kids to leave it too either :-> ...........

So we'll have to waste it on something :-S ........one things for sure it wont be a new camper >:-) .........

Sorry to disappoint you Pepe ;-) ........

But we have way more equity than my old man ever did :D .......and through no fault of mine the likely hood of inheriting even more :$ ..........and no kids to leave it too either :-> ...........

So we'll have to waste it on something :-S ........one things for sure it wont be a new camper >:-) .........

With no kids to leave money to, why should you let outsiders, or the the Government, have the benefit of your savings. So good on you , having a great lifestyle , and spending it for your benefit.

When you sped all , the government will pay for your old age. If you have capital they will not give you a cent.

We have kids, grandchildren and great grandsons, who may benefit from us, but we still have enough income to spend as we want. Charity begins at home

PJay

Don636 - 2018-10-02 10:40 PM

I would offer the following further comment on why I preferred the Vantage to IH when buying. As regards build quality I had looked at a lot of vans before purchasing and quite a few were disappointing in that the showroom examples had a number of build issues such as loose or broken parts or build debris evident in lockers for instance. Anything like that puts me off instantly. The Autotrail V-Line was particularly bad in this respect.

When looking at the IH RL I could not find anything wrong with the integrity of the build as such and the only aspect of the build that I was unhappy with was the fact that when you looked into the upper lockers there was no back to them and all you could see was the carpet stuck to the walls, joins and all. Looked a bit cheap to me and this contrasted strongly with the over the top styling for me with loud stripy seat coverings, brightly coloured trim on the doors, IH lettering everywhere,old fashioned looking exposed hinges and knock on edging to the panels. I appreciate that this is a matter of personal taste however and I recognise that IH vans are very popular. When we first saw a Vantage van in the flesh we were immediately drawn to the much simpler and, in our opinion, more classy design but that is personal taste. Could not find any problems with the build quality at all and this has been borne out over the last four years. The upper lockers are fully formed units with proper backs by the way. The attention to detail both inside and under the van is very good indeed.

There are always opposing views on the merits of rear lounge layouts and the main gripe seems to be with having to make up the beds. It takes us two minutes to make up and three minutes to put away so not exactly a great hardship. All of the bedding goes under a seat and at night any spare backrests or cushions go there as well so nothing left laying around. The advantage is that there is much more living space during the day and a more spacious feel than in a continental style front dinette/fixed bed layout. We are loungers when in the van so this is important to us. I can't get my head round devoting more than half the van over to beds leaving a very cramped kitchen area and a relatively cramped dining area. On some vans I can barely get into the seat round the fixed table leg and no way to get my feet up to watch the TV. The idea is that you use the front seats but, whilst they are OK for driving I do not want to sit in them to relax as they are not comfortable enough and you can't get your feet up.

Each to there own I suppose.

I really enjoyed reading your summary; it was incredibly informative indeed.

My wife and I are visiting the NEC this month in the hope of acquiring a new PVC. Our shortlist is down to the Globecar and Pilote brands but I'm keen to look at the IH and Vantage vans too - they both look great.

We did look at the Autotrail and Swift PVCs during our initial research phase and I have to admit that I found them poorly built and fairly shoddy looking inside. To make matters worse I closed the van door on a new Swift PVC and the main window dropped out - enough said.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew, when you are on the IH stand ask to have a chat with Ian Hartley. Ian has designed every aspect of the van, is hugely passionate and interesting to talk to!

As Don says, some of the finishes, glossy doors, colour of upholstery etc won’t be to everyone’s taste. However you get to pick whatever you want, choice of carpets, upholstery, finishes doors etc, also you don’t have to have Ih logos in the van if you don’t want. This is the key difference of an Ih, they are individual in style and spec.

Hope you have a great visit, have a look at their VW Crafter based van too for something a bit different!

Bill

And don’t overlook Murvi, that offers plenty of ‘buyer choice’ and has always concentrated on useful functionality rather than style and odd innovation. (Where’s the rationale in grafting the entrance door of a caravan into the metal shell of a panel-van? It’s like fitting wings to an aardvark.)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-04 5:40 AM

And don’t overlook Murvi, that offers plenty of ‘buyer choice’ and has always concentrated on useful functionality rather than style and odd innovation. (Where’s the rationale in grafting the entrance door of a caravan into the metal shell of a panel-van? It’s like fitting wings to an aardvark.)

It’s just one more step along the road to “normality” or “conformity”

Remove all trace of the sliding door, increase wall space, so fittings can be easier accommodated across the door space, and get rid of the door slamming that we pvc owners have to live with, unless we own one or two brands.

Cheers, Snowie

Don636 - 2018-09-29 9:45 PM

Anybody any idea what the reference to 4 wheeled caravan means - beats me?

I think he means that it stays on a site and doesnt tour about.....probably he tours about, and thinks every body should ?

To each their own, no CORRECT way.

I think IH vans are great, but a bit pricey.

The PVC sliding door.....ssshhh bang, not shut......shhhhh BANG. Thats done it. Are an annoyance to anyone who happens to be pitched alongside one. IH have obviously done a bit of research on the subject.

Doesnt turn it into a caravan. A sensible design.....good vans.

Fitting an Electric door closer might be a bit cheaper ?

The addition of a fixed rear panel and a caravan type side door on a PVC is an interesting concept and these are now available on Vantage vans as well as IH. They are not, however, for me. I can see that the rear panel provides better insulation and the side door would be easier and quieter to operate but I personally feel that if you are going down that route you might as well buy a narrow coach built motor home, which will be cheaper as well.

For us the flexibility of being able to open either or both the side and rear doors is a big plus compared to a coach built. Yes, you can sit outside but that is not always possible and being able to sit in the van on a cool day with the rear doors open to a great view is well worth any downsides in our opinion. We have even been known to wake up in the morning and lie in bed with the rear doors open - wonderful - you can't do that in a £100,000 Hymer. Yes, the side door is a bit noisy but it doesn't bother me and to be honest if it bothers our neighbours that is their problem, not mine.

Photos of a 2018 Vantage “Neo” with Hartal entrance-door and rear ‘boot’ can be seen here:

https://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome-stock/details/new-2018-vantage-neo-539

It’s interesting to note that (based on this late-2013 forum discussion)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/New-IH-van-conversions-or-are-they-coachbuilts-/32814/

Vantage were considering those modifications 5 years ago.

(I would have thought that the Hartal door/boot major modifications would not receive Fiat’s approval and, consequently, have the potential to impact negatively on the Fiat warranty.)

Don636 - 2018-10-07 9:54 PM

Yes, the side door is a bit noisy but it doesn't bother me and to be honest if it bothers our neighbours that is their problem, not mine.

Thats why a lot of Caravanners and other Motorhome owners hate them. We thought we would be safe from the problem until a 'Continental handed' PVC parked along side us....door to door... boy did we hear the problem for ourselves then. Since then I try very hard to be quieter when closing the Shhhhh bang sliding door.

A Hartal entrance door would suit me fine. BUT I am not paying Mega bucks to get one. An electric door closer...by Stedall, now that might be affordable.?

Rayjsj - 2018-10-08 7:27

A Hartal entrance door would suit me fine. BUT I am not paying Mega bucks to get one. An electric door closer...by Stedall, now that might be affordable.?

I’ve been trying to resolve this one for years!

Ones I’ve seen protrude into the door opening, so need a piece of furniture to conceal them, so you can’t have a clear door opening. No use to me.

I’ve started using the passenger door after about 9pm if we need to go out, but before that I just use a “quiet-closing technique”

Cheers, Snowie

snowie - 2018-10-08 8:39 PM

Ones I’ve seen protrude into the door opening, so need a piece of furniture to conceal them, so you can’t have a clear door opening. No use to me.

I’ve started using the passenger door after about 9pm if we need to go out, but before that I just use a “quiet-closing technique”

Cheers, Snowie

You can get a sld with built in hinged door, but it might only be for off side sld.

colin - 2018-10-08 10:11 PM

snowie - 2018-10-08 8:39 PM

Cheers, Snowie

You can get a sld with built in hinged door, but it might only be for off side sld.

I saw some of these a couple of years ago, and in principle they seemed a good idea. Looking closer, the fact that you had to step over a cill, on the way out, this looked really tricky, because the distance down to a slideout step would be enormous. Don’t fancy launching myself sideways out of a caravan style door, but I suppose a proper width door might be possible?

Can’t remember if the ones I saw years ago were one-offs or unsuccessful mainstream vans.

Regards, Snowie

It beats me how everyone seems to get so wound up about a sliding door, yet we seem to be expected to put up with other peoples music, campfire and barbecue smoke, sitting outside chatting into the early hours with the volume of voices rising in proportion to the amount of alcohol consumed, and rows of bright coloured lights decorating every available surface of their vans and all the copious accoutrements they bring with them.

Never mind. We're currently on our fourth day in the middle of a field in the Yorkshire dales, all alone and where no-one can hear our sliding door. It's peaceful, remote and beautiful, and actually gets dark at night with no lights anywhere around. Suits me just fine!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
sandalwood - 2018-09-29 12:54 PM

Any reviews on these please?

Taylor

That's a bit like asking what people think of Mercs...

Used or New van?

Front or Rear Lounge

Make of base van

Length of base van

Engine gearbox etc etc.

Generically they are high build quality vans that are expensive to buy but have correspondingly high residual values.

If you are looking at Used vans you need to check the usual stuff but in particular if an older model, for corrosion of the base van, these are after all builders vans from Fiat. If a van has not been well looked after from new it will not take that long to start showing signs.

Caveat emptor!

For my part I am on my second IH as other makes just don't compare well in my eyes... Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

K ;)

Ketvrin

On 29 September sandalwood asked if there were any IH Motorhomes reviews, having said about a week earlier that he (she?) had decided to purchase a 1-year-old IH rear-lounge model. This turned out to be a “Tio” model.

As the decision had already been made to obtain an IH Motorhomes PVC, the objective of sandalwood’s enquiry was exactly as stated - to find out if there were any reviews of IH Motorhomes products - rather than seeking advice on whether or not to buy one.

I have an Autotrail V line 600 with a double floor, yes, a double floor on a PVC ! All services run inboard, and underslung tanks insulated and heated. Unfortunately Autotrail decided it was too expensive to make ??

And quality control could have been better. But we love it, and intend to keep it....and yes, we could afford a new one...but nothing catches our eye. ...yet.

IH's do a nice FL. Do Vantage do a front lounge model ?

Auto-Trail has history regarding ‘innovative’ motorhome design - remember the 1990s Badger and Tracker models, examples of which are shown in atttached photos. However (quite sensibly in my view) buyers are generally wary of the unusual, particularly when it’s married to high pricing, and the overcab-moulding version of the Badger and the Fiat Scudo-based Tracker only sold in very small numbers.

AutoTrail persisted with double-floor V-Line models for several years, but the addition of a GRP roof to gain crucial internal headroom (lost due to the raised secondary floor) plus a high equipment specification inevitably pushed the price up, inviting comparison with cheaper single-floor/metal roof PVCs from other manufacturers and with coachbuilt models.

Vantage currently offers front-lounge and rear-lounge PVCs and four different vehicle lengths.

https://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/model-range

Badger.jpg.e8c23d44a400d69e7e20cd2b6cec25f4.jpg

Tracker.jpg.cbc00f49af019fbd19d71c3a42b60751.jpg

sandalwood - 2018-09-29 12:54 PM

Any reviews on these please?

Taylor

Taylor,

Yes I reviewed our IH some years back and it is on this site. Sorry, not sure how to put the link on but if you go to Motorhomes (top of page) and select reviews then search for IH you will find it.

David

Archived