Habitation door hinge

JTII

The bottom 5 Leaf Ellbee aluminium hinge bottom door hinge has snapped. I've got it off the van but the pin is welded to the broken hinge piece.

I know these are like rocking horse manure but does anyone have a spare they'd be willing to sell or know any breakers who may have the odd one kicking about?

The photo shows the hinge and its the part second from the right which has snapped.

hinge.jpg.8f4e871dec763c8cbaa71979c393c789.jpg

Just a wild guess... ;-)

This December 2016 MHFun entry discussed obtaining the Ellbee 5-leaf hinge

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ellbee-door-hinge.143911/

Elddis might be able to tell you which of their products (caravans as well as motorhomes) had this hinge, which should help if you contact a breaker.

https://tinyurl.com/ydgw6geq

Otherwise, if it proves impossible to obtain a complete 5-leaf hinge, you might well be able to perform 'hacksaw surgery’ on your hinge to remove the snapped section from the pin and replace that section with the same part from a different Ellbee hinge that’s still marketed.

https://tinyurl.com/ycdwvgns

(I note that Ellbee hinges are usually described as being ‘handed’ (ie. appropriate for doors with a left-hand OR right-hand hinge-line) so you’d need to keep that in mind.)

Suppose I've left enough clues on various threads here to identify it!

Thanks for the suggestions - the 5 section hinge is unobtainable so I've rung a local engineering company to see if they can fabricate a copy. They're up for it so we'll see what may happen.

I think Derek's suggestion to buy an available hinge with the section you need is a very good idea. It will make the engineering firms job a lot easier and they just need to rebuild the hinge saving you time and money in the long run. Machining time on a mill does not come cheap these days.

• 4 months later...

Hi ,

This is a cheeky but desperate request....... I have an autoquest 2010 and surprise surprise the hinge has sheared and like you I have emailed, phoned breakers yards etc to no avail. I noticed that you were trying to get one fabricated and wondered how that went? And if it was successful ?

I need to find a solution so if you have any ideas?

Regards

Bev

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Recently had the same happen to me. After searching loads of suppliers, found this post. Contacted Bill and with great efficiency I had the parts to rebuild my hinge in two days. Fraction of the cost of the only supplier (Oleary's) who had supplies let. Bill can provide just the repair parts (£25) or the whole new hinge for £85. Excellent service. :-D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After searching long and hard for a replacement hinge, I found this forum.

I two had a hinge snap for no apparent reason.

I contacted Bill and was please to find that he could help me out.

Not only did he tell me how to remove the old hinge but he supplied me with a replacement and fitting kit.

The replacement arrived within a few days and looked better than the original. This is now fitted and working well.

I am now sending my broken hinge to him for repair, so I have a spare. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone who has this problem.

Because of the leverage often the first clue that the hinge is siezing is a flexing of the door or door frame when opened, or a reluctance to shut properly without slamming.

I took the hinge off and drilled several small holes into the hinge at the pin area, inside the hinge fold and out of sight with the door closed, and into the hinge pin a short way and wth the application of not too much heat and liberal use of penetrating oil over several days managed to free it up before it broke.

So if you have these hinges it pays to look at them from time to time to ensure they are running free.

What do you use to lubricate the door hinge. I went out yesterday to open the door and although the door opened ok the last bit until fully opened sounded like an old barn door.

The hinge is aluminium with rubber spacers.

What are your views on , 3in1 oil, wd40, or silicone spray ?

as above silicon spray, mine have caps on so take them off and fill it with spray then all other hinges, plenty on them, i do it every 6 months, but there again i have a maintainance program every 6 months for everything, a legacy from my engineering days, seems to work

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Bill helped again.

After previously getting a new hinge from Bill which was brilliant. I then sent my broken hinge to him for repair.

This has been returned quickly and repaired looking almost new.

So I know have a spare if I need it in the future.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him in the future for a quick and reasonably priced service. ??

• 11 months later...
Hi. If you have a broken habitation door hinge I can highly recommend getting in touch with William Neven. He was really helpful and supplied us with a brand new hinge in a couple of days. Excellent service. Very happy :-D . You can email him at Billsunhinged59@outlook.com

• 11 months later...
Just to say thank you for the contact details for William Neven, who has supplied me with three habitation door hinges for an Autotrail registered 2001. He replied to my enquiries and sent out the hinges very promptly and is very helpful. I can highly recommend him and also really appreciate people taking the time to pass on his contact details!

Archived