non setting sealant

silverback

Hi all, i am replacing the door catches and gas locker door catches, they are the standard cheap plastic ball/prong into a hole with a lip on, when i took the old catches off the sealant was a non setting sealant like plumbers mate stuff, does anyone know of a make or number of some sealant of this nature

regards

Jonathan

Various door retention-catches shown here

https://tinyurl.com/yc2lgesu

I’m a mite surprised that a non-setting sealant would have been used with this type of small plastic part on a 2011-built Auto-Trail motorhome. Given the material employed for the vehicle’s bodywork and the forces on these catches, I would have thought that an adhesive/sealant like Sikaflex 512 Caravan or Sikaflex EBT would be a better choice as it would augment the grip of the catches’ screw fixings. After all, it’s not like the catches might need to be regularly removed or that - even if a strong ‘setting’ adhesive were used - that removal would be particularly difficult.

Just a personal view, but I’ve always used a strong ‘setting’ adhesive/sealant when adding extra exterior locker-door catches as it seemed the logical thing to do.

thanks Keith, Hallii and Derek, 2 good solutions there never thought of the beading in a roll, i was suprised as well Derek when i took the catches off, but it is defininatly non setting, suppose i could use silicon but this deterioates and just thought use like for like sealant. the cheap catches wear and dont lock together after a few years also and they are attached with rivets so easy to get off and replace without damage

thanks again

Jonathan

silverback - 2018-10-11 6:21 PM

...and they are attached with rivets so easy to get off and replace without damage

thanks again

Jonathan

Jon,

I replaced the rivets in ours with small riv-nuts and machine screws so if they wear out or get damaged I can change them in seconds with nothing more than a screwdriver. Don't know why AT didn't do this in the first place?

Keith.

PS And at a push I have reused the non setting mastic by rolling into a ball and then re applying!

hi Keith, will use rivnuts next time cos they soon wear out! i had some spare peel rivets hanging around anyway, never thought of re using the sealant DOH *-)

I had bought some decent catches like you get on horse boxes but Joan didn't like them! don't get how women think/operate even after 40 years wed *-) (lol)

Jonathan

Archived