Autotrail laying off staff

flicka

I have to say that I always take a salesman’s ‘it’s less than cost price’ spiel with a massive dose of salts. But there’s no denying that there seems to be more unsold current year stock around than in previous years. As to why, we can but conjecture.

I guess, as the biggest seller in the UK, there will seem to be more Autotrails than others. In my area, the majority seem to be their budget brands of Tribute and Imala, with few Tracker and Frontier models available.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An update from the colonies - last week I had reason to call into the Head Office of the AU Importer of Auto-trail. Firstly to look at the new 2019 range but sadly still on the high seas. It takes around 2 months for the  roll on roll off ship to reach our shores from Southampton. Secondly to have the rearview camera replaced. My contact there was keen to let me know that they are currently opening a third state branch with a fourth almost ready to open. I was happy to hear this as it will no doubt help with the resale value of my Tracker when it is time to sell. Nothing gives a potential buyer more confidence to part with the "readies" than an expanding importer owned sales outlet network and growing unit sales. Maybe Australia can take up some of the slack in Grimsby production. Current AU design rules state that rear overhang can not exceed 60% of the distance between front & rear axle centres ( wheel base). This has limited the available models sold here. I was told that AT will be changing their designs so that the overhang will not exceed 60% on future models thus allowing a broader AT range to be sold here. One benefit of that could be less rear chassisrails scraping along the ground on steep driveways across gutters. Cheers, Gary.

Geeco - 2018-11-26 4:30 AM

...Current AU design rules state that rear overhang can not exceed 60% of the distance between front & rear axle centres ( wheel base). This has limited the available models sold here. I was told that AT will be changing their designs so that the overhang will not exceed 60% on future models thus allowing a broader AT range to be sold here. One benefit of that could be less rear chassisrails scraping along the ground on steep driveways across gutters. Cheers, Gary.

The Australian rules regarding rear overhang are stated in the “Size and dimensions” section of this link

https://www.transport.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/132064/201603-0305-vsg5-converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

It’s often stated on UK motorcaravan forums that a motorhome’s maximum rear overhand is limited to 60% of the vehicle’s wheelbase, but there’s an alternative EC regulation based on measuring the ‘swing out’ of a vehicle’s rear end. This is mentioned in this 2006 MHFacts discussion

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-12850-10-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

and there have been plenty of motothome models (usually large long ones) that have a rear overhang around 70% of wheelbase.

Thanks Derek the link you have referred to is for vehicles over 4.5 tonne the "bulletin 14" also mentioned covers units under 4.5 tonne which would cover the majority of MH's on the road here. Essentially the rule is the same so all the bike racks, rear ladders, tow bars and storage boxes fitted to the rear of MH's could make them all illegal if the overhang is close to the 60% limit. I understand that the AT Tracker FB had to have the spare wheel removed from the rear to comply. It is now located in the underbed storage area. Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting reading about AT laying off staff and the usual moans of poor workmanship. Out here in NZ there is a thriving market in new European vans and the clear victor by a big margin is AT.Been to the annual Aukland show and lot's of European vans don't fare too well after afew thousand kiwis have trampled through them. We shipped our AT to NZ when we moved out here and have since downsized to a PVC so my

wife can manage driving it. Kiwis love AT vans and british caravans and many times when I am driving I have to remind myself this is NZ and not the uk. Surely there must be a shortage of second hand caravans in the uk as loads are shipped out here and sold for well above there uk value.

shirles - 2018-12-15 11:38 AM

Surely there must be a shortage of second hand caravans in the uk as loads are shipped out here and sold for well above there uk value.

Loads of caravans and motorhomes are stolen here, we assume they are shipped to Ireland or Europe but maybe they come over to you.

shirles - 2018-12-15 11:38 AM

Interesting reading about AT laying off staff and the usual moans of poor workmanship. Out here in NZ there is a thriving market in new European vans and the clear victor by a big margin is AT.Been to the annual Aukland show and lot's of European vans don't fare too well after afew thousand kiwis have trampled through them. We shipped our AT to NZ when we moved out here and have since downsized to a PVC so my

wife can manage driving it. Kiwis love AT vans and british caravans and many times when I am driving I have to remind myself this is NZ and not the uk. Surely there must be a shortage of second hand caravans in the uk as loads are shipped out here and sold for well above there uk value.

I'm pleased that AT is doing well in NZ since I think UK sales will be challenging for the company in 2019 and beyond unless they pick up their quality game.

There's an Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club on FB which has hundreds of active members that have all been affected by poor quality Autotrail vans; the number of vans with 90% damp present at the 12-month point of ownership is simply overwhelming to read.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/autotrail-unhappy-owners-group-569051023302494/

I'm not sure if any other brand has a club which solely deals with poor quality build issues other than Autotrail but this surely must be a bad indicator for the companies future.

baden87 - 2018-11-03 11:31 AM

i note your comment regarding Dave Thomas (Auto-Trail’s managing director, but what does he propose doing , just sitting back and doing nothing could lead to a further demise , he needs to be acting and coming up with ideas , doing what he is paid to do MANAGE

I agree, I have had 2 Autotrails, Quality Control must be non- existant in their production facilities.

If they continue to 'Pixx off' their customers as they are on the road to oblivion.

Shame, as Autotrails used to have a good name for quality and solid finish.

Perhaps the workers with pride in their products, have all now retired ?

Rayjsj - 2018-12-19 10:58 AM

baden87 - 2018-11-03 11:31 AM

i note your comment regarding Dave Thomas (Auto-Trail’s managing director, but what does he propose doing , just sitting back and doing nothing could lead to a further demise , he needs to be acting and coming up with ideas , doing what he is paid to do MANAGE

I agree, I have had 2 Autotrails, Quality Control must be non- existant in their production facilities.

If they continue to 'Pixx off' their customers as they are on the road to oblivion.

Shame, as Autotrails used to have a good name for quality and solid finish.

Perhaps the workers with pride in their products, have all now retired ?

Its not the workers. Quality is entirely, 100%, solely and in perpetuity the responsibility of the senior management team. If they manage the process correctly, the quality output is good. If they don't, the quality output is bad. If the MD doesn't know that, then he should.

Poor quality output is ENTIRELY the fault of poor management by a) the senior executive/managing director and b) the senior management team.

I say that as a member of the senior management team, in charge of quality across a group of companies (nothing to do with motorhomes). The buck stops with us.

P.S. I don't have an autotrail fortunately.

Agree Rolyan. In many organisations it is up to the management team to create and sustain a quality culture. It's not difficult.

I've worked in organisations where the staff drive senior managers to build and maintain such a culture through their behaviours and commitment. Since the economic downturn in the 90s and early noughties, many Senior Managers have sustained a belief that quality is for what the customer will pay. I knew some that ignored critical customers and focused on the quiet customers who are reasonably satisfied.

What an awful catalogue of disasters. It starts with the design people still using screws to hold together the van when they should have moved over to glue like most manufacturers. It finished with poor management of staff who can get away with just giving up. It wasn't that long ago that Marquis gave its managers a three day training session:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/motorhome-dealer-marquis-lesiure-trains-managers

This is the amusing quote from the Commercial Director in February 2017,

"The course ran over three days and all of the candidates passed with flying colours and achieved a certification from the Central College Nottingham. As part of our commitment to the staff and our customers, on-going training is vital in a large organisation like ours, we seek to enhance the already high standards we set our managers and by completing this course, we have given them the tools to improve not only their own skills but the staff that work for them."

I'd guess there was no follow up to ensure the managers practised their new skills.

The customer firstly is the dealer , he should check the motorhome before he sells them on to us, many years ago when I was a tugger , I bought a new caravan from a large dealer near to lowdham village and I rejected the first one because it was wet through in 6 random places, the dealer was very unhelpful , the replacement was also rejected the chassis was twisted very badly , again the dealer was very unhelpfull and not really bothered, he told me to pick one out of the compound ,, I want in 3 where trim was missing or doors wouldn’t close on lockers 1 had 2 locker doors hanging off , Thad dealer said this how they come in and they have to put them right before dispatched, I kid you not

Archived