Pound euro........That explains it.......

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 9:25 AM

£1.15 today...........Got £1.12 at our local exchange B-) .........I

t's funny how the exchange's out here can offer much better rates for cash than the UK Post Office can? :-S .........

Nobody exchanges money at the UK post office Dave. Their rates are terrible. I exchanged some Japanese Yen that I "acquired" at our local branch (Well 7 miles away) the other day and the rate was crap but i couldnt be arsed to go anywhere else.

Do you not have a Halifax Clarity card?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-11-13 10:38 AM

t's funny how the exchange's out here can offer much better rates for cash than the UK Post Office can? :-S .........

Nobody exchanges money at the UK post office Dave. Their rates are terrible. I exchanged some Japanese Yen that I "acquired" at our local branch (Well 7 miles away) the other day and the rate was crap but i couldnt be arsed to go anywhere else.

Do you not have a Halifax Clarity card?

Yep.......We use the Halifax for everything ;-) .........

But one still needs to carry a bit of cash :D .........

They don't have the cost of horlding stacks of foreign currency to sell when the Euro is their currency.

The commission won't be much to you when its just for a bit of spending money.

But think how much it will be to British Manufacturers who don't have the advantage of being in the same currency. Crucially not knowing what the future rate of exchange will be when they come to sell their goods. Many good companies have failed for no other reason than guessing wrongly what future exchange rates will be. Now they don't know what trade barriers there will be either, which is the killer blow for many.

PS: I take it you are still not able to name one factory setting up in Britain because of Brexit?

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 8:59 AM

When Michelin closed plants in America was that due to Brexit? *-) .........

There was no equivalent to Brexit in the United Staes because there wasn't one state leaving to have trade barriers with all the others.

Of all the European plants why are they closing the one that is leaving the common market?

They say its not due to Brexit but then "they would say that wouldn;'t they"

Its a basic marketing thing.

They still want to sell tyres - to both sides Brexiteers and Remainers.

So they won't want to offend Brexiteers by admitting ithey chose the UK plant to close because it would have been the only one behind trade barriers.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-13 11:33 AM

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 8:59 AM

When Michelin closed plants in America was that due to Brexit? *-) .........

There was no equivalent to Brexit in the United Staes because there wasn't one state leaving to have trade barriers with all the others.

Of all the European plants why are they closing the one that is leaving the common market?

They say its not due to Brexit but then "they would say that wouldn;'t they"

Its a basic marketing thing.

They still want to sell tyres - to both sides Brexiteers and Remainers.

So they won't want to offend Brexiteers by admitting ithey chose the UK plant to close because it would have been the only one behind trade barriers.

So they'll be the wrong side of the tariff barrier ;-) ..........

I also note that they're not planning on shutting until 2020 :-| .........

Looks to me like they're hedging their bets and doing a bit of Scaremongering for Macron at the same time *-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 12:05 PM

You mean the tarrif barrier you Brexiteers set up to hinder component supplies and close UK factories?

Thats not going to bother Michelin is it? Because all our tyres will be imported so all their competitors will be paying it as well :-S

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-14 5:52 AM

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 12:05 PM

You mean the tarrif barrier you Brexiteers set up to hinder component supplies and close UK factories?

Thats not going to bother Michelin is it? Because all our tyres will be imported so all their competitors will be paying it as well :-S

Lie back and think of the import taxes B-) ...........UK PLC will be coining it in :D ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 8:32 AM

Lie back and think of the import taxes B-) ...........UK PLC will be coining it in :D ..........

I detect a flaw in your argument

UK Plc can't supply what we have to import

So import taxes will just be added on to prices at our expense

And the expense of factories who import components

So they wil continue to move to the EU

Have you managed to come up with a factory coming to Britain because of Brexit yet *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-14 10:04 AM

Have you managed to come up with a factory coming to Britain because of Brexit yet *-)

.......and then what will happen is that the manufactures will set up companies to assemble their products here to avoid the tariffs ;-) ...........

It's well trodden path >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 3:29 PM

.......and then what will happen is that the manufactures will set up companies to assemble their products here to avoid the tariffs ;-) ...........

It was a well trodden path when setting up in UK gave them access to 28 countries

But that path has not been used at all since the Brexit vote

Because you still haven't come up with any factory setting up here because of Brexit have you?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-15 6:43 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 3:29 PM

It was a well trodden path when setting up in UK gave them access to 28 countries

But that path has not been used at all since the Brexit vote

Because you still haven't come up with any factory setting up here because of Brexit have you?

We have yet to leave with "No Deal" ;-) .........If we do then I suspect tariffs may well make the reason to do so lucrative :D ...........

After all we have the consumers B-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 8:20 AM

One country instead of 28.

And they are buying on tick so how much longer can that go on

Especially when they are making less to sell abroad

Because you still haven't come up with one factory coming here to replace those going abroad because of Brexit

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-16 8:30 AM

Because you still haven't come up with one factory coming here to replace those going abroad because of Brexit

Perhaps you whinging Remoaners could set up a "Hair splitting" factory (lol) .........

I've already listed four new factories since the BREXIT vote *-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 8:33 AM

Perhaps you whinging Remoaners could set up a "Hair splitting" factory (lol) .........

Now now.....i've already pointed out to you JCB and McLaren are long established British businesses in UK which came about way before Brexit so you can forget trying to quote those.

Siemens is hardly 'new' having been in UK since 1858 as a business, so thats another you can forget.

Boeing is the only one to have opened a plant.....employing just 52 people so not much to get excited about. Can't you find anything more substantial? I'd expected you to list a raft of companies swarming into Brexit Blighty bringing masses of employment but you seem to be struggling. I wonder why that is? :-|

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-16 2:52 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 8:33 AM

Now now.....i've already pointed out to you JCB and McLaren are long established British businesses in UK which came about way before Brexit so you can forget trying to quote those.

Siemens is hardly 'new' having been in UK since 1858 as a business, so thats another you can forget.

Boeing is the only one to have opened a plant.....employing just 52 people so not much to get excited about. Can't you find anything more substantial? I'd expected you to list a raft of companies swarming into Brexit Blighty bringing masses of employment but you seem to be struggling. I wonder why that is? :-|

What a sad negative "Being" British individual you are Bullet *-) .......

Archived