2010 Ducato X250 roof paint peeling

Ketvrin

I had a 2004 Ducato with this problem which was a pain and thought this problem was restricted to this age and model but I am looking at a 2010 van now and can see signs of paint lifting from the roof gutters. So, is this problem commonplace or is this just an isolated van problem?

K :-S

Our first Fiat was a 2002 silver metallic van and the roof was a disgrace and if you masked off an area to respray the masking tape took more paint off !!

We were lead to believe that Fiat sprayshop and preparation procedure was primitive to say the least but if you avoided metallic paint you stood a chance of it sticking on the body!

Our next van was bought new in 2010 with a non metallic colour ( Brazilian Yellow !! ) and the paint eight years later has still stayed on though the body needs waxing to keep the shine though some panels do keep the shine .

The trouble is it is a commercial van with a Fiat life expectancy is far less than the motorhome world expect.

Ketvrin - 2018-11-16 7:32 PM

I had a 2004 Ducato with this problem which was a pain and thought this problem was restricted to this age and model but I am looking at a 2010 van now and can see signs of paint lifting from the roof gutters. So, is this problem commonplace or is this just an isolated van problem?

K :-S

https://tinyurl.com/y7w45bww

...and (as a GOOGLE-search will confirm) paintwork-related problems that affect Fiat Ducatos also affect Citroen Relays and Peugeot Boxers.

I had a bit of paint peeling off the grille on the bonnet of my 2008 Citroen Relay.

Took the bonnet off and resprayed it with an aerosol can.

Paint started blistering which I hadn't experienced before.

Thanks to the internet I found the reaon straightaway - I wasn't allowing enough drying time between coats. I think this is also dependant on the type of paint used as I had never experienced this problem before.

So had to do it again but its OK now.

I suppose I am destined to be n pain again with this problem as the van appears to be a good one apart from this problem.

Will need to source some touch up paint, when I get the code from the van's plate. My old one was a near enough match for Hammerite silver smooth, but this one is a kind of metallic sky blue which I doubt will be in the Hammerite range.

K *-)

Ketvrin - 2018-11-17 8:45 AM

I suppose I am destined to be n pain again with this problem as the van appears to be a good one apart from this problem.

Will need to source some touch up paint, when I get the code from the van's plate. My old one was a near enough match for Hammerite silver smooth, but this one is a kind of metallic sky blue which I doubt will be in the Hammerite range.

K *-)

Even if you get the original paint you can't get a perfect match when touching up metallic. Because it forms into layers of metallic particles and clear laquer - depending on spray pressure, angle, etc etc. Even if you could reproduce that exactly it would still be different round the edges. The only way to get an invisible touch up is to spray the whole panel. Then you don't notice if its slightly different because of the gap around the edges.

Archived