INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

sandalwood

Geeco - 2019-01-11 4:08 AM

Stuart, I have checked the Aust Automobile Assn website and they do mention the 1949 convention however there is no mention of the 1968 version. I also checked my current IDP and it mentions only the 1949 convention. Both France & Spain are covered by the 1949 convention according to the AAA website. Congrats looks like you have a better research skill set than the AAA or the 1968 version may not have superceeded the 1949 version. Cheers,

I called at the Post Office which Issues IDPs yesterday (having read about the two different Conventions on the Government website) and they said there is only one IDP. So either the Brexit update on the Government website is wrong or it will turn out that the post Office is wrong, only time will tell.

Meantime I'll get myself a 1949 Convention IDP and check again about the need for the other one later. It may yet emerge of course that we leave with a deal and neither are necessary, at least for us Brits!

Stuart, I have checked the Aust Automobile Assn website and they do mention the 1949 convention however there is no mention of the 1968 version. I also checked my current IDP and it mentions only the 1949 convention. Both France & Spain are covered by the 1949 convention according to the AAA website. Congrats looks like you have a better research skill set than the AAA or the 1968 version may not have superceeded the 1949 version. Cheers,

Gary

I know you come over to europe often. Do you transport YOUR MH, or do you hire over her? OR maybe you have two vans??? (Tongue in cheek)

PJay

vindiboy - 2019-01-08 10:24 AM

QUOTE...We aren't exactly in the position to tell 27 countries their truck drivers can't drive here as we're already in a desperate situation over how to get our "stuff" in which we need on a daily basis. I suppose they could always dump their trailers of food, medicines, clothing, electrical goods, booze, car parts etc off at Dover port if that's what you prefer?

Of course we are, Johnny Foreigner wants to sell his goods to us as much as we want to buy them.

I thought that the container freight system was invented for that very purpose.

StuartO - 2019-01-11 7:46 AM

I called at the Post Office which Issues IDPs yesterday (having read about the two different Conventions on the Government website) and they said there is only one IDP. So either the Brexit update on the Government website is wrong or it will turn out that the post Office is wrong, only time will tell.

Meantime I'll get myself a 1949 Convention IDP and check again about the need for the other one later. It may yet emerge of course that we leave with a deal and neither are necessary, at least for us Brits!

As a "backstop" we went into Ipswich main post office today (upstairs at the back of W H Smiths!) and bought our 1949 based IDP for £5.50 each in about 10 minutes, Very helpful counter staff. No mention or sight of a 1968 version. We were in Ipswich for shopping and had a couple of spare passport photos so, simples :-D

Might yet use it for driving in Russia or China - who knows - always fancied driving the Silk Road. .

Pauline, we travel by car when in UK/Europe. We spend usually around 4 months in a year in our motorhome in AU and find the change to a car & private hotel type accom a nice variation. This year we will be spending a week on the Llangollen canal in a "marinised motorhome" all 68ft of it! We love this uniquely British experience & plan to share it with my sister and BinL. They tow a 21ft off-road caravan complete with slideout bedroom so they will notice the width difference in the narrowboat. Cheers,

Just been to the local post office and they have a large sign advertising that they will be doing IDPs from next month. Chatting to the guy behind the counter he also mentioned that you don't need passport photos as they will be doing them digitally in the shop. Save a few quid on photos then.

Archived