Hardwiring Ctek charger to Sargent Ec160

trialsrider

I've just hardwired my ctek charger into one of the MCB circuits on the Sargent. Due to how the van was constructed I am unable to remove the Sargent from the furniture unit and access the back of it to get to the mains output. I have instead located one of the output cables from one of the 3 MCB circuits which went to a single CBE mains socket. Fitted a junction box. Matching cable from junction box to socket and wired Ctek into junction box. Obviously the Ctek originally had a fused plug on the end. Is this wiring set up satisfactory or do you thing I should have wired another socket from the junction box for the Ctek to plug into. I want the Ctek on every time I plug into mains hook up and the charger will be located where I can't see it. The Ctek will replace the awful charging function on the Sargent unit.

It should either be a fused junction box or 13amp socket for a fused plug.

A 13a fused socket will make it easier to upgrade any charger in the future and give more flexibility to use an adapter to double up the socket to power other devices, if needed in the future.

If you fit a socket with a 13a switch it makes it easier to power off the charger when not needed.

aandncaravan - 2019-01-25 8:08 AM

A 13a fused socket will make it easier to upgrade any charger in the future and give more flexibility to use an adapter to double up the socket to power other devices, if needed in the future.

If you fit a socket with a 13a switch it makes it easier to power off the charger when not needed.

Would the.mcb itself not provide the circuit protection that the fuse would have ?

aandncaravan - 2019-01-25 8:08 AM

I agree with Allan but if you are worried that the switched socket may get turned off then fit an unswitched socket so you can at least 'pull the plug' to isolate the charger.

Keith.

CTEK battery-chargers do not have an On/Off switch (or at least mine does not!) So when the 3-pin fused plug that a UK-marketed CTEK charger comes with is inserted in a live 230V 3-pin socket, the charger will automatically operate.

I occasionally use my CTEK charger to charge up my Ducato’s starter-battery, and I do this by connecting a 230V cable to the charger and the charger to the battery. I avoid connecting the motorhome to a 230V power-supply and then plugging the charger into one of the motorhome’s interior 3-pin sockets (which would be more convenient) as, although the motothome’s on-board CBE charger does have an On/Off switch, I’m not sure whether having the CBE charger and the CTEK charger operating together to charge the starter-battery would be harmful, so I choose to avoid any possibility of the two chargers operating simultaneously. I’m pretty sure it would be alright, but I’ve learnt the hard way about “It will probably be OK” assumptions.

However, I use my CTEK battery-charger as a supplementary charger and I THINK trialsrider is replacing his motorhome’s Sargent charger with the CTEK unit.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-25 9:33 AM

CTEK battery-chargers do not have an On/Off switch (or at least mine does not!) So when the 3-pin fused plug that a UK-marketed CTEK charger comes with is inserted in a live 230V 3-pin socket, the charger will automatically operate.

I occasionally use my CTEK charger to charge up my Ducato’s starter-battery, and I do this by connecting a 230V cable to the charger and the charger to the battery. I avoid connecting the motorhome to a 230V power-supply and then plugging the charger into one of the motorhome’s interior 3-pin sockets (which would be more convenient) as, although the motothome’s on-board CBE charger does have an On/Off switch, I’m not sure whether having the CBE charger and the CTEK charger operating together to charge the starter-battery would be harmful, so I choose to avoid any possibility of the two chargers operating simultaneously. I’m pretty sure it would be alright, but I’ve learnt the hard way about “It will probably be OK” assumptions.

However, I use my CTEK battery-charger as a supplementary charger and I THINK trialsrider is replacing his motorhome’s Sargent charger with the CTEK unit.

Yes that is right. I have the Ctek anyway and it hasn't cost me anything and is far better than the built in Sargent one.

Archived