International Driving Permit

Wilf

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-02-05 3:25 PM

Just for sure do you need a UK international Passport to get The IDP? And not by your national ID credit card? Still do not have clue how it looks like, is it credit card size?

Monique, I'm not sure what you mean by "a UK international passport".

A passport is required for international travel, so without a passport one could not travel abroad, and an IDP would be of no use. So, we will need both a passport and (probably) an IDP, to be able to drive abroad, although there may be some countries outside the EU that will accept a UK driving licence without an IDP.

The IDP is really only a translation of the driving licence entitlements, for the benefit of foreign police etc.

Just for sure do you need a UK international Passport to get The IDP? And not by your national ID credit card? Still do not have clue how it looks like, is it credit card size?

The UK does not issue ID cards. Anyone wishing to travel to the rest of the EU must have an international passport which is an expensive business especially for a family. My French mother in law travels to the UK on her ID card alone, which incidentally is issued free of charge.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-02-05 3:34 PM

And the other way around As for the USA do i need a idp to visit the UK third country in eu context?

It will depend on whether an agreement is made between the EU and the UK for mutual recognition of driving licences. If it is, the answer to your question will be no, but if it is not, it is probable you would require an IDP. At present, no-one knows. How exciting is that! :-)

To apply for an IDP in the UK it is now necessary to visit a UK Post Office branch (the IDP cannot to obtained on-line).

The applicant needs to provide the following

1: A full valid UK driving licence - either a photocard or an older paper licence.

2: A passport sized photo - this needs to be recent enough to show what the applicant currently looks like!

3: The £5.50 application fee (cash or debit / credit card)

( If an older paper version of the UK driving licence is presented, the applicant must also provide an original valid UK passport as proof of identity.)

The IDP was described in rael’s posting of 4 February 2019 3:52 PM above

...Four pages and a cardboard cover, and very bulky, compared to my credit card sized licence.

The 1st attached photo is an EXAMPLE of what a UK IDP’s front looks like, and the 2nd photo shows an IDP’s inside pages. (I’ve grabbed those images off the internet - I assume a current IDP from a UK Post Office looks pretty similar.)

1178956960_IDP-frontpage.jpg.4d4a2f966aa062a75e78e5054e674bfb.jpg

1621942960_IDP-insidepages.jpg.f8c66bea2376c92e589239723b062113.jpg

As a member of the forgotten 1.3 million great unwashed who actually live in Europe it's almost impossible to find out "how things effect us regarding Brexit." Without opening up this to another Brexit debate I wonder if anyone knows how the 'English abroad' would fare when having to pop back to the island for family visits, etc.

We have German driving licences, German ADAC motor & breakdown insurance (including Green Cards) and both vehicles have German number plates.

Many thanks

Wikipedia seems to think that “expat” would be applicable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

but this (long) discussion suggests more subtlety. ;-)

https://girlvsglobe.com/expat-vs-immigrant-difference/

The advice on the remaininfrance webpage should apply to the ‘English abroad” (which, being pedantic, is what I am for a couple of months each year) expat or immigrant. Essentially, whatever happens Brexit-wise, popping back to the UK won’t involve ‘foreigners’ doing anything different to what they do now.

Way2Go - 2019-02-06 10:27 AM

As a member of the forgotten 1.3 million great unwashed who actually live in Europe it's almost impossible to find out "how things effect us regarding Brexit." Without opening up this to another Brexit debate I wonder if anyone knows how the 'English abroad' would fare when having to pop back to the island for family visits, etc.

We have German driving licences, German ADAC motor & breakdown insurance (including Green Cards) and both vehicles have German number plates.

Many thanks

You will be looked on as "foreign invaders" and viewed with great suspicion! Actually you will fly through the "EU passport holder only" side whilst the "third country" side will be rammed with Brits trying to get back into their own country!

Bulletguy - 2019-02-06 10:33 PM

You will be looked on as "foreign invaders" and viewed with great suspicion! Actually you will fly through the "EU passport holder only" side whilst the "third country" side will be rammed with Brits trying to get back into their own country!

'LIKE'

:-D :-D :-D :-D

It should only effect us once a year, and once a year is enough, for the annual Christmas present run 8-) B-) :-D :-D

It is interesting that as a "third country" traveller of all the airport passport controls we use LHR has the longest queues with the possible exception of Denpasar in Indonesia. (Denpasar in fact does not have queues it has total chaos!) Having said that the max time I can remember is around one hour. So it is not a major inconvienence in the scheme of things. Some would say waiting one hour to enter such a beautiful country should be considered no inconvienence! Cheers,

Wirehaired - 2019-02-09 3:36 PM

Could anyone please tell me if there is a form to fill out?or is it just a case of taking the photo,driving licence,and passport?

The applicant for a UK-issued IDP is NOT involved in form-filling.

When visiting a UK Post Office branch that issues IDPs the ‘documentation’ requirements are as stated in my posting of 5 February 2019 6:06 PM on this thread’s 1st page.

As suggested earlier in this thread, the time spent obtaining an IDP at a Post Office branch is likely to depend on that branch’s staff’s familiarity with the procedure.

Many thanks

I suspect not a single one of our numpty idiot officials will know the answer to this one as they won't have given it one seconds thought any more than they have given anything related to Brexit a seconds thought...good luck though!!

Many thanks

Here's what .gov.uk has to say about EU visitors.

EU drivers visiting or living in the UK after EU Exit

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, arrangements for EU and EEA licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change.

Visitors with EU and EEA driving licences will not need an IDP to drive in the UK.

EU and EEA licence holders visiting the UK can continue to drive on valid EU and EEA licences.

EU and EEA car or motorcycle licence holders who are (or become) UK residents can drive in the UK using EU and EEA licences until they are 70 or for up until 3 years after they become resident, whichever date is the later. At this point an application would need to be made for a UK licence.

Different restrictions apply to EU and EEA lorry or bus licence holders who are (or become) UK residents.

For EU and EEA licence holders who passed their test in the EU or EEA, the UK will continue to exchange their licence.

EU and EEA licence holders who passed their test outside the EU or EEA have restrictions on licence exchange. As such, they may need to take a test to obtain a UK licence.

Archived