Van Security what works ?

Rayjsj

After seeing the Stolen Thread presumably relating to a 2009/2010 Peugeot or Fiat ?

What security methods/devices are you using or do you recommend ? not asking for folk to give away their secrets or locations. Modern vehicles are being stolen by use of the very technology that is meant to be protecting them. I even read that recent Ducatos which need a physical key to unlock the steering lock and immoimmobiliser have been stolen by accessing the OBD port with some gadget and changing the code to accept a dummy key ? dont pretend to know how it could work. But also read that Ford Transit bases have been vulnerable for some time. SO, apart from making sure your Insurance is up to date, what can we do to protect our vans? me: Wheelclamp when on drive, drivers seat reversed and padlocked, plus a steering wheel lock which i use when touring. plus of course the factory fitted immobiliser. any other ideas ? preferably not too expensive. ? notice that Flicka has added that it was a Ford Transit base. stiill very worrying.

Last weekend, seven cars parked were stolen from domestic properties in an area about two miles from where I live. What was common to all the thefts were either the cars were not locked up or the front doors of the house were single lock - the thieves broke in and stole the car keys. The Police recommended we lock our vehicles, hide valuables, add a visible security device, and have two locks on our house doors whilst ensuring our vehicle keys are not easily found. I understand thieves allow about 4 minutes to steal a vehicle unless it is exceptional or in a location where they have more time such as by a deserted house.

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/videonews/185417/read/

I'm told Wirral's crime rate is below the national average except for vehicle theft which is about the same as the national average.

When in doubt, we seek advice from our insurers. For example, should we buy locks for our alloy wheels - answer not necessary unless there has been a spate of such thefts. When we started parking the van on our drive at home, we asked the local Crime Prevention Officer for advice. Apart from what is said above, he advised us to increase the line of sight our neighbours have over our property - we changed a high fence to a low wall, we have an external light that covers the rear of the house, and we had been covered by the cameras and lights that the next door pub had installed - it closed a month or two ago so we have to think again.

My local Bobby thinks some motorhomes are stolen by drug dealers. They dress up as responsible looking pensioners, drive across to the Continent, come back with drugs without being challenged. Each couple/motorhome will do three or so trips using different ferries and then the motorhome "is disposed of". I don't know if he is right.

En-route, we use a steering wheel lock, the Fiat immobiliser, and a Thatcham approved alarm.

Van Bitz installs security systems for motorhomes so have a look at its website.

We have other passive security for home and away which I'm not going to mention! We try to balance risk with ease of use of the van.

The Autowatch Ghost product was mentioned here recently

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Interesting-idea-for-additional-security/51213/

and its advertised benefits are summarised here

https://www.sasmobile.co.uk/view-product/autowatch-ghost-immobiliser

It should stop a vehicle being stolen by being driven away, though not by being towed away.

(I have read an on-line comment warning that installing the Ghost product may result in problems if the vehicle’s software is subsequently revised, something that’s commonplace nowadays when a vehicle is main-dealer serviced.)

jumpstart - 2019-02-06 3:20 PM

Apart from stolen vehicles,are the rear doors on coach builds an easy place to break in,with regard to things being stolen from inside?

Yes, and very little you can do to make them more secure without risking some very expensive damage if someone really wants to get in.

Deneb - 2019-02-06 3:23 PM

jumpstart - 2019-02-06 3:20 PM

Apart from stolen vehicles,are the rear doors on coach builds an easy place to break in,with regard to things being stolen from inside?

Yes, and very little you can do to make them more secure without risking some very expensive damage if someone really wants to get in.

Ref. breaking into vans, they mostly have plastic windows, which a child could break into, and coacbuilts have Hartal type doors which are likewise easy to access. Get a safe, for passports/ cash/ jewelery and leave valuable electronics at home.

I was mainly thinking about the whole van being stolen. And how to stop it.

Folk who leave their car keys near the front door or on a hook,.and do not 'screen' a keyless fob are just asking for trouble.

We have a removable steering wheel which is locked indoors. The boss is covered with a protective cap to stop it marking the swivel leather seat. So you can't see the boss.

It would be very difficult to drive the van off or get onto a low loader with no steering wheel.

Strikes me as a simple deterent with no gizmos required.

That said it is a 2005 van so probably not on the lowlife shopping list.

Jeremy

But then again if our friendly scrote breaks into your house in the hope of stealing keys from the kitchen table, what happens if he can't easily find them?

Friend of mine had this scenario with his Ferrari. Next thing he knew chappie's in his bedroom tapping him on the shoulder asking for the keys whilst his mate is touching up his wife. Of course it was a lot more traumatic than that with lots of shoutiong and screaming and of course he gave him the keys Car went, tracker located the car two days later outside a pub in Deptford smashed and totally thrashed and over revved and wrecked. He got his car back, but at what price in repair bills, worry and fear for the future?

We've got a tracker and normal Peugeot immobiliser and that's it.

BTW, Cmabs had five m/h's stolen over Xmas and I know one of the owners. Fitted with a tracker, he got it back but wishes he hadn't. Electrics all ripped out, pooh over the carpets and bedding and a lot of damage caused to it and who knows how it had been driven? Says he'd have preferred it wasn't found and he could buy a new one with the insurance payout.

laimeduck - 2019-02-06 4:06 PM

We have a removable steering wheel ...

That said it is a 2005 van...

Jeremy

And no drivers airbag so removal is easy.

More modern vehicles will almost certainly have a drivers airbag in the steering wheel so the removable system will not work.

Keith.

Last summer a Brit on a french campsite showed me his very cheap anti theft device.

He had threaded a high security padlock through the steering column universal joint fitting near the brake/clutch pedals. Positioned so that the steering column cannot turn.

Very robust and difficult to cut off in that position. Well worth £20/£40 investment.

Nothing like a bit of hardened steel :-)

Probably not a 'proper' deterent, but I'd quite like to see the look on the face of a thief if he/she decided to steal our van and realises the steering wheel is on the left side. Different matter in Europe though!

Keithl - 2019-02-06 5:11 PM

Jeremy

More modern vehicles will almost certainly have a drivers airbag in the steering wheel so the removable system will not work.

Keith.

Couldnt the van be rigged to set off all the airbags if the correct code is not entered into the ecu ? Via a plug in keypad. Immobilise it too of course. Love to see the 'scrotes' expression as it happened. CCTV and posted on U Tube.

Keithl - 2019-02-06 5:11 PM

Jeremy

Unfortunately that's the 'negative' as imo it is by far and away the ultimate anti-theft device. A friends son owns an original Sierra Cosworth.....very desirable and highly 'nickable'! But he fitted a removable steering wheel which did the trick.

I had an after market alarm (Thatcham cat1/2) fitted to my van and quickly found the damn thing sucks battery power so i only engage it when on trips.

Layered, visible, physical, security - on the basis that if you make the job difficult enough, long enough and noisy enough the scrotes will hopefully find an easier target.

When left for short term, shopping-type trips we feel the need is mainly to prevent opportunist entry and theft. Additional Fiamma lock on cabin door, cable lock from drivers door to steering wheel, nothing in sight and valuables in hidden safe. Sometimes a very visible yellow steering wheel lock just to show serious intent!

When left outside the apartment we are currently renting here in Spain add to the above - very visible yellow wheel clamp on most obvious wheel, park in slightly different position and put lock on different wheel occasionally to show owners are around and aware, ensure good lighting, nearby properties and preferably a 'good' area!

At home for long periods add to the above - at night hemmed in by at least one locked, alarmed and immobilised Car, drivers seat locked in reverse position. Actually only an 8mm Allen key headed bolt in a pre-threaded hole, but having defeated all of the above the thief is going to be pretty hacked off to realise he should also have brought an 8mm Allen key with him!

With so much technology available to overcome technology I'll stay with the physical, visible stuff - accepting that if a thief is determined enough, well enough equipped and has enough time then there's little more that can be done other than good insurance.

Archived