Green Card

bobalobs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teccer1234 - 2019-02-20 4:48 PM

comfort have told me that if I need a green card the cost will be £20, ??????

Some companies do charge. They shouldn't really as the cards are pre-printed and simply stamped with the insurers name, signed, and countries you are visiting marked. Takes an office paper shuffler seconds to do. I'm with Scenic and they don't charge.

bobalobs - 2019-02-20 8:09 PM

The offer of a gratis green card is evidence you have the minimum insurance cover but does not say whether you have full comprehensive cover.

In non-EU countries it's third party cover only. However that's now as we are still an EU member country...that might change. Premiums will no doubt be increasing.

witzend - 2019-02-25 4:31 PM

It's all What & If at the moment I'll be over there a month before it happens and not back for 2 mths after it happens. So not being able to for see the future What can I do If it happens

Get the appropriate IDP/s plus a green card and, if you have "Euro plates" on you vehicle, replace them with plates that do not bear the Euro ring of stars, and apply a conventional GB plate to its rear.

Your EU passport will presumably be OK going out and, as it was issued by the UK, will also presumably be OK at your UK point of entry on return. Make sure you keep your nose clean while away, as your passport may cause difficulty if asked to provide your identity document by police/immigration officials after we leave - as they just may say it is no longer valid.

Check what your health insurer says they will cover if we crash out on March 29 and as a consequence lose the EHIC cover, as many health insurance premiums are based on the EHIC covering at least part of the cost.

However, if you're leaving the UK before 29 Feb, you've left it a bit late to cover that lot before you go!

Guest pelmetman
monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-02-25 4:44 PM

That you need not a green card in Eu was one of favors granted to UK.

So for umpteen billion a year the EU said we didn't need a a green card, that we could get for free anyway? *-) ............

Progress eh? :D .........

chris - 2019-02-27 3:59 PM

i am insured with safeguard. On the rear of the insurance certificate it is titled:- European Cover. can i assume that this is the green card? chrus

No. I suggest you ask Safeguard for confirmation, but I'm pretty sure the actual green card is still ……………..green! :-)

As I said on this thread’s 1st page

...the Card itself is a physical document that will be posted to the insuree. (So the Card cannot be sent on-line as can happen currently regarding a Certificate of Insurance.)

The Green Card document is, indeed, green and it’s quite separate to what’s been historically printed on the rear of a UK-issued certificate of motor insurance. There's an example of a Green Card on this link.

http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/articles/80-green-card-insurance.html

As Derek and Brian said, it's green....hence the commonly known name. It's just a pre-printed A4 card and all the insurer does is fill your name and address, dates of entry/exit, policy number, leave the countries you are touring in open (not crossed out), stamp and sign it.

I've needed green card each year and this was mine from 2018.

300220131_GREENCARD.JPG.277ada30cc26dda655b08439c7675192.JPG

daviddwight - 2019-02-28 9:03 PM

Has anyone seen a copy of the Lisbon Treaty?

Having seen part of it if we stay in the EU by 2022 the UK will not exist as we know it, we will be governed by Frankfurt!!

"Seen part of it"?? A sentence?? The Brexpress is pretty good at taking a line from a 380+ page legal document and turning it into anti-EU misinformation.

Under which article are you referring to? Here is a full copy of the Lisbon Treaty.

http://en.euabc.com/upload/books/lisbon-treaty-3edition.pdf

Hi, had my renewal notice come Wednesday ( £10 up from last time) ,read the notes with it and like Welted fully comp under territorial limits , £20 for green card if required. Today had an e-mail from Comfort with updates regarding deal or no deal, not too much solid detail but does say they will not charge for green card if it is required in Europe.

Regards David

The Comfort Insurance email is pretty comprehensive given the uncertainty regarding the Brexit date, whether or not there will be a ‘deal’. and whether or not (if there is no deal) it will be agreed that the current 'pan-European Green Card' can still be valid.

However, what is not covered in the email is the duration of the Green Card that Comfort Insurance will provide free of charge from March 1st (I note that theGreen Card image in Bulletguy’s posting above shows a roughly 3-months duration) nor whether the Green Card is linked to the expiry date of the Comfort Insurance policy-holder’s insurance policy.

davidmac - 2019-03-01 7:38 PM

Hi, had my renewal notice come Wednesday ( £10 up from last time) ,read the notes with it and like Welted fully comp under territorial limits , £20 for green card if required. Today had an e-mail from Comfort with updates regarding deal or no deal, not too much solid detail but does say they will not charge for green card if it is required in Europe.

Regards David

Check the breakdown section if you have previously subscribed to that, and check which version of the breakdown policy you currently have. I found that the last version of the policy that I had received was not that shown on their web site.

The provider had changed (which was mentioned in the renewal invitation), but with that change of provider there was a substantial change in the wording of the policy which was not made clear in the invitation to renew. Just be certain that what is now on offer is what you are expecting.

Nothing is certain (or can be) until we know a) that Brexit will, actually, take place and when, b) what form Brexit will take, and c) what relationship we will have with the EU after Brexit - the negotiation of which will only commence once we have left.

Certainty, other than if we revoke our article 50 notification and remain in, will take some time yet, possibly several years, again depending on the form and timing of Brexit, and progress on negotiating the future relationship.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-03-02 8:35 AM

The Comfort Insurance email is pretty comprehensive given the uncertainty regarding the Brexit date, whether or not there will be a ‘deal’. and whether or not (if there is no deal) it will be agreed that the current 'pan-European Green Card' can still be valid.

However, what is not covered in the email is the duration of the Green Card that Comfort Insurance will provide free of charge from March 1st (I note that theGreen Card image in Bulletguy’s posting above shows a roughly 3-months duration) nor whether the Green Card is linked to the expiry date of the Comfort Insurance policy-holder’s insurance policy.

Derek

Under present 'circs' (forget Brexit) the Green Card gives third party cover for the period you are driving in non-EU countries. Normally they want dates of entry/exit for each country but as any m/h tourist will know, that's impossible to foresee so i've always told them the countries i'm going to and the dates i'm entering and leaving Europe to get a 'blanket coverage'.

The only purpose of the Green Card is to prove to each countries authorities you have valid insurance. However, insured coverage is only valid for one month per country so if for example i enter Serbia on June 1st i have 30 days coverage, then 30 days in Macedonia or Moldova and so on. OK so folk might ask 'who checks on that'? Police at roadside checks who have database access showing the date you entered, Customs border points who have electronic record, and worst case scenario if involved in an accident. If that occurs outside the time frame you're in deep mire so only a fool would risk chancing that.

Quite how the Green Card will operate if UK becomes a "third country" i don't know but i won't be at all surprised if it comes with restrictions.

Archived