Outer Hebrides - how long should I allow.

peterjl

rupert123 - 2019-03-25 10:18 PM

Going to disagree with a lot of this. We went to Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago and would not go back. i reckon two weeks is plenty of time to see all of interest, Scottish mainland, certainly from around level with Skye to the far North and across the top is far better without the need for messing around with ferries. We found lack of wildlife disappointing plus little of historic interest. Harris to us the best scenic, Lewis flat with little of scenic or historic interest, no towns or villages worth the bother. Few nice coastal bits but mainland coast is far better. We went to all the other main islands and although found just enough to do two weeks was plenty, and we had decent weather plus no midges. Sorry to be so negative but reckon the Outer Hebrides are very over hyped.

Beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder..........oh yes and Corncrakes , Otters, Seals, and Lapwings as common as they used to be in England. Boring ?

in Answer to the Op....take as long as you need.

Rayjsj - 2019-03-26 11:08 AM

Beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder..........oh yes and Corncrakes , Otters, Seals, and Lapwings as common as they used to be in England. Boring ?

Couldn't agree more. Saw several eagles, including one sitting on a post at the roadside as we approached, and pods of dolphins in abundance.

Apart from the wildlife, there were so many places I'd be happy to just sit and take in the views for the rest of my life. Sitting on the south shore of Vatersay and looking across to Sandray, Pabbay and Mingulay is just one example. Get off the main routes and head into the hills on two feet; absolutely stunning.

I can feel the call to return just thinking about it!

in Answer to the Op....take as long as you need.

.......... and Golden Eagles and Hen Harriers at the top of Committee Road in North Uist.

Deneb - 2019-03-26 1:55 PM

Couldn't agree more. Saw several eagles, including one sitting on a post at the roadside as we approached, and pods of dolphins in abundance.

Apart from the wildlife, there were so many places I'd be happy to just sit and take in the views for the rest of my life. Sitting on the south shore of Vatersay and looking across to Sandray, Pabbay and Mingulay is just one example. Get off the main routes and head into the hills on two feet; absolutely stunning.

Mingulay brings back both good....and scary memories for me!

When on Barra i took a day trip over to Mingulay. The boatman drops you off on the beach, tells you what time to be back at the beach for pick up, and warns about walking near the cliff edge because if you go off.....you definitely won't be coming back! Not to mention there wouldn't be anyone around to fish you out...assuming you land in the sea!

Anyway i only made it just beyond the old village ruins from when it was inhabited. A bit further on and i was getting dive bombed by "bonxie" birds....Skuas. Must have had young somewhere but by God they were frighteningly lethal zooming in at a terrific rate of knots and too close for comfort. I gave up trying to continue and retreated back to the safety of the beach! At least the Puffins were friendly little chaps and happy to sit very close without mither.

I was a bit annoyed i hadn't tried another route though as a couple of women had reached the cliff by walking around the far corner of the island and spotted a Golden Eagle nesting with it's young.

The boat owner guy told me you have to be careful with "bonxie" as they are totally fearless and will attack humans.

Deneb - 2019-03-26 1:55 PM

.......... and Hushinish Beach on Harris. Stunning ............

Archived