What has the EU done to me that I really dislike.

Brian Kirby

pelmetman - 2019-02-27 2:47 PM

At least they're more likely to be spending UK taxpayers money in the UK are they not? ;-) ...........

Where as a EU official will spend UK taxpayers money in the EU >:-) ............

Dave, Britain is in the EU, so "an EU official" will spend some money from all EU taxpayers in the UK.

Britain contributes about 13 percent of the EU budget (see here: http://tinyurl.com/yab92r8u ), so for every £1 of EU taxpayers' money spent anywhere in the EU, about 13 pence is from UK taxpayers, and 87 pence is from the taxpayers in the other EU states.

This is based on the net figure for UK taxpayers contributions to the EU budget (see here: http://tinyurl.com/y7xx6446 ).

£18.9 billion is the figure naughty Boris used on the Brexit bus, whereas when all the money that flows back to the UK is taken into account, this reduces to somewhere much nearer to £9.4 billion (so almost exactly half what Boris said!). :-D However, this is only about 1.3% of our £734 billion total government spending so, in the overall scheme of things, although a large sum, it is not significant.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me some of the EU Directives that we have implemented have been inferior to the UK laws they replaced, trade descriptions legislation springs to mind. Some Directives have added an unnecessary gloss on what the UK was abiding by already under international treaties e.g. The EU Qualification Directive that relates to refugees or others needing international protection. Whilst I realise these were necessary in order to gain uniformity across all member states it is irksome.

Aspects of our own benefit system are clearly more generous than those in other EU states which has attracted many people from those states who will take any job at any wage thus depressing wages in the UK, particularly for low or unskilled workers. Moreover, the worst of all “benefits” has accrued to the idle rich landowners who get paid for set aside under the CAP. However, on balance I chose remain because any reforms as are necessary to cure these aspects could be remedied by domestic policy and/or maintaining a seat at the EU table in order to seek to influence any changes as are necessary at EU level. More importantly I couldn’t see how we would be better off outside the EU in financial terms given our low manufacturing base and our reliance on the service industries, particularly in the financial sector.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-02 6:00 PM

At least they're more likely to be spending UK taxpayers money in the UK are they not? ;-) ...........

Where as a EU official will spend UK taxpayers money in the EU >:-) ............

Dave, Britain is in the EU, so "an EU official" will spend some money from all EU taxpayers in the UK.

Not for much longer >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-02 11:56 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-27 8:52 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-27 6:27 PM

That's totally nonsensical drivel. Can't you come up with anything more mature and meaningful than "it's not me, it's EU"?

Brian asked, "what has the EU done over the past 45 years that you (as a Brexiteer) fundamentally disagree with, or that disadvantages you in some way?"

Brian likes to think he is a European ;-) ...........

I like to to think I'm a Brit........It really is that simples :D ......

It probably is, Dave.

OTOH, I tend to see myself as both British and European - so not at all simples, and much more interesting! :-D

It requires much more confidence in the ability of the UK to influence events than Brexiters demonstrate - albeit that confidence is suffering in the face of Brexiter myopia and our lack-lustre government. *-)

There's nothing wrong with my eyesight ;-) .............and if you think the UK can influence the EU then you should've gone to SpecSavers (lol) ..............

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-03-03 9:06 AM

Dave, this came up in a google search about UK influence in the EU.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/

In summary the claims made by the Leave campaign about the lack of influence being "quite marked" are unsupported by the available evidence.

So left wing Remoaner biased full fact have proof that our own EU stooges side with the EU SHOCK 8-) ............

(lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Perhaps they could find examples of when our UKIP MEP's were able to stop EU legislation? *-) ........

You said

“if you think the UK can influence the EU then you should've gone to SpecSavers” and I gave you the link in response to that. Now you want evidence that our UKIP MEPs (as opposed to the UK) have been able to stop legislation.

I doubt they hold much sway in terms of the total votes cast by UK members being under 10% of the UK bloc. As a percentage of the total of MEPs (751) they hold just under 1% of the seats.

As for the “fullfact” organisation, what leads you to believe it is left-leaning or has a bias in favour of the remain campaign?

The article appeared to be quite balanced in finding that assertions made by the leave campaign and the remain campaign about the UK’s influence were not supported by the available evidence. Did you read it all?

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 7:41 AM

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-02 6:00 PM

Not for much longer >:-) ..........

You do realise you've just advocated either a reduction in UK government spending as a result of that 87% loss, or an increase in UK taxes to make up the 87% shortfall, don't you?

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 7:43 AM

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-02 11:56 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-27 8:52 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-27 6:27 PM

That's totally nonsensical drivel. Can't you come up with anything more mature and meaningful than "it's not me, it's EU"?

Brian asked, "what has the EU done over the past 45 years that you (as a Brexiteer) fundamentally disagree with, or that disadvantages you in some way?"

Brian likes to think he is a European ;-) ...........

I like to to think I'm a Brit........It really is that simples :D ......

It probably is, Dave.

OTOH, I tend to see myself as both British and European - so not at all simples, and much more interesting! :-D

It requires much more confidence in the ability of the UK to influence events than Brexiters demonstrate - albeit that confidence is suffering in the face of Brexiter myopia and our lack-lustre government. *-)

There's nothing wrong with my eyesight ;-) .............and if you think the UK can influence the EU then you should've gone to SpecSavers (lol) ..............

No thanks, I go to a proper optician! :-D

Violet1956 - 2019-03-03 10:26 AM

You said

“if you think the UK can influence the EU then you should've gone to SpecSavers” and I gave you the link in response to that. Now you want evidence that our UKIP MEPs (as opposed to the UK) have been able to stop legislation.

I doubt they hold much sway in terms of the total votes cast by UK members being under 10% of the UK bloc. As a percentage of the total of MEPs (751) they hold just under 1% of the seats.

As for the “fullfact” organisation, what leads you to believe it is left-leaning or has a bias in favour of the remain campaign?

The article appeared to be quite balanced in finding that assertions made by the leave campaign and the remain campaign about the UK’s influence were not supported by the available evidence. Did you read it all?

Don't be too harsh, Violet, he goes to SpecSayers! Besides, he's not disposed to read things that might question his Brexit bias! :-D

Can anyone explain to me why UKIP members wanted to become MEPs?

There seems no logic to it. If they wanted us out surely the best way would have been to turn up to support EU measures that would have been unfavourable to the UK thereby strengthening their cause. Maybe they just did it for the money. They turned up en masse when their post Brexit entitlements were being discussed in October 2018 but have the lowest record for turning up than any other party.

Violet1956 - 2019-03-03 12:25 PM

There seems no logic to it. If they wanted us out surely the best way would have been to turn up to support EU measures that would have been unfavourable to the UK thereby strengthening their cause. Maybe they just did it for the money. They turned up en masse when their post Brexit entitlements were being discussed in October 2018 but have the lowest record for turning up than any other party.

It was a good way to get illegal funding for their party.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-ukip-eu-money-misspending-eu-referendum-campaign-a7422471.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/12/nigel-farage-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds

Another myth about Farage is he is the fishermans friend. "Over the three years that Nigel Farage was a member of the European Parliament Fisheries Committee, he attended one out of 42 meetings. Greenpeace research released today shows that during the three major votes to fix the flaws of the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP), Nigel Farage was in the building but failed to vote in favour of improving the legislation."

Guest pelmetman

I guess that sentence alone explains the gulf between us :D .............and the chattering ars*s >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-03 11:57 AM

Violet1956 - 2019-03-03 10:26 AM

You said

Don't be too harsh, Violet, he goes to SpecSayers! Besides, he's not disposed to read things that might question his Brexit bias! :-D

Yeah Brian if you say so *-) ...........

Just had a very pleasant afternoon mixing with those funny foreigners on our campsite...........Curiously they looked and sounded a bit like a older version of me & er? 8-) ........

Maybe it's my sunglasses? B-) ............

Must dash as I need to turn my roast tities as we call them in Britain :-S ...........

It maybe 20+ degrees but we still have a roast on a Sunday :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-03 3:44 PM

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 1:44 PM...…………. I need to turn my roast tities as we call them in Britain :-S ...............

You sure about that? :-D

I did them both ;-) .......The spuds were golden B-) ...........and mine are red 8-) .........

Can anyone explain to me why UKIP members wanted to become MEPs? …………....

Apologies for calling you Violet, Veronica! Mea culpa! :$

I seem to recall that UKIP wanted MEPs as a way to attack the EU from within. By having their own MEPs, they would get first hand information on what was being discussed in Brussels, and could begin undermining it before it became public information. In short, a Brexit fifth column.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-03 3:50 PM

I seem to recall that UKIP wanted MEPs as a way to attack the EU from within. By having their own MEPs, they would get first hand information on what was being discussed in Brussels, and could begin undermining it before it became public information. In short, a Brexit fifth column.

Nice try Brian *-) ...........

UKIP won because "most" of us who don't live in leafy parts of East Sussex who's only contact was a Polish plumber ;-) ...........

You have not been able to witness first hand the derogatory effect open migration has had on our country have you? :-| ......

Perhaps if you moved your pulpit to Boston you'd know what you're talking about ....for a change >:-) ....

BTW house prices there are dirt cheap compared to where we lived in Lincolnshire :D ........

Even our Scottish Lincolnshire plumber owned several rental's in Boston (lol) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-03-03 4:23 PM

Violet1956 - 2019-03-03 12:55 PM

Thank you FP very interesting. I wonder if Dave P can come up with any explanation.

Well, you got a response........but no explanation so i think that answers your question! :-|

Feeding lefties is a hobby ;-) .......Not a requirement :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 1:37 PM

I guess that sentence alone explains the gulf between us :D .............and the chattering ars*s >:-) .......

Not really Dave although I think Brian has had a better stab at answering the question for you.

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 4:03 PM

UKIP won because "most" of us who don't live in leafy parts of East Sussex who's only contact was a Polish plumber ;-) ...........

You have not been able to witness first hand the derogatory effect open migration has had on our country have you? :-| ......

Perhaps if you moved your pulpit to Boston you'd know what you're talking about ....for a change >:-) ....

Yet on your own admission you've never lived in Boston so perhaps you should 'move your pulpit' there before telling someone else they don't know what they're talking about.

So let's look at what someone who actually lived in Boston for eight years had to say.

.....wasters begging for drug money while eastern europeans were drafted in to work in the fields because the locals prefer to scrounge.....

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/boston-2.html

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-03-03 4:50 PM

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 4:03 PM

Yet on your own admission you've never lived in Boston so perhaps you should 'move your pulpit' there before telling someone else they don't know what they're talking about.

So let's look at what someone who actually lived in Boston for eight years had to say.

.....wasters begging for drug money while eastern europeans were drafted in to work in the fields because the locals prefer to scrounge.....

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/boston-2.html

My pulpit was a damn site nearer than any of you pontificater's *-) ........

Archived