I simply don't understand.

Archiesgrandad

Tracker - 2019-02-28 10:13 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-28 5:22 PM

As is so often said, past performance is no guide to the future, and it is the future we need to foresee.

That is the most sensible and obvious thing you have said in this whole saga Brian!

We are in uncharted territory as no country of any size has ever left the EU so there is nothing to compare with.

Gien the economic 'experts' inability to accurately predict the future over many years when the economy of the world was relatively predictable and more stable than it is now it comes as no great surprise that they know not what they are doing but lack the integrity to say so.

There are too many outside and unknown forces that will come into play for anyone to 'know' what will happen and if our own chancellor of the exchequer can only make estimates of his own control of tax and spending revenue of just his own country and still get it wrong every year what chance for something completely different.

So I'll say it again for good measure - past performance is not a guide to the future.

So, you didn't read my link, Rich, Pity, as it covers the points you made above far better than I could begin to.

pelmetman - 2019-03-01 8:38 AM........................Well seeing as that permission is dependent on NI not having a reunification referendum :D ......…

Good luck with stopping that >:-) .............

So you still think there will be a referendum on Irish re-unification before 31 March? How do you reach these conclusions, Dave? Whatever you're on, I want some! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-01 11:41 AM

pelmetman - 2019-03-01 8:38 AM........................Well seeing as that permission is dependent on NI not having a reunification referendum :D ......…

So you still think there will be a referendum on Irish re-unification before 31 March? How do you reach these conclusions, Dave? Whatever you're on, I want some! :-D

It is cutting a bit fine innit? (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-01 11:37 AM

So I'll say it again for good measure - past performance is not a guide to the future.

So, you didn't read my link, Rich, Pity, as it covers the points you made above far better than I could begin to.

No Brian I didn't as I am bored beyond distraction with so called 'reports' by so called 'experts' none of whome have any experiences of a Brexit.

If the world were not controlled by the 'forecasts' and 'predictions' of alleged 'experts' maybe it would be a better place for all of us?

Tracker - 2019-03-01 12:11 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-01 11:37 AM

No Brian I didn't as I am bored beyond distraction with so called 'reports' by so called 'experts' none of whome have any experiences of a Brexit.

If the world were not controlled by the 'forecasts' and 'predictions' of alleged 'experts' maybe it would be a better place for all of us?

So, if you were unwell, who would you go to? A doctor (acknowledged expert), a shaman (self proclaimed expert), or just wait to see if you recovered or died? Your choice, of course, but I know where I'd go - to the acknowledged expert.

The people who do the forecasting are economists, who spend their lives observing how economies react to various events. It is self-evidently true that no one has prior experience of Brexit, but that shouldn't lead people to dismiss their forecasts out of hand, on the simplistic basis that a) they haven't done it before and b) that their forecasts don't exactly predict what will happen.

When a new building is designed and the builder submits his tender for construction, he will include a completion date based on his programme of works. That programme will draw on his experience as a builder, even though he will not have built exactly that building, on that piece of land, before.

As work progresses the completion date will be liable to vary, as weather events, supply difficulties, problems with sub-contractors etc all have their impact on progress. However, short of absolute disaster such as bankruptcy, and after allowing for the impacts of the events he cannot directly control, the building will be completed near to the due date. Every time? No. But sufficiently often that the date can be taken as a fair indication.

The trick is to monitor progress against the programme, and then decide when a revision to the completion date is inevitable, and revise as necessary. No-one in their right mind takes the initial completion date as gospel, but at the same time, no-one commits money and resources to the project in the absence of a completion date. People want to know when they will get delivery.

What happens between the initial date and the eventual date is the construction risk. That leads construction professionals to take the contractor's initial date with a pinch of salt, and to draw their own conclusions as to what, based on their past experience, is the probable, achievable, date.

In the Brexit context, the government is playing the role of the builder, and the economists are playing the role of the construction professionals. They are advising that in their opinion there will be substantial costs, and are unlikely to be any benefits in the reasonably foreseeable future. Now, why disregard that advice?

We are merely dealing with uncertainty. Saying that because of the uncertainty we should not even try to foresee the possible outcomes, or should dismiss out of hand the advice of those who attempt to do so, is, to me, extremely foolish.

After all, would people who take this line adopt the same position were the economists all advising that Brexit will be a roaring success, and so decide to abandon it because if the experts say it will be a good thing, the outcome would be bound to be an economic disaster? Is this not just another manifestation of the workings of cognitive dissonance? :-D

Sorry Brian, and without wishing to have a go at you in any way, but that was just a load of old waffle and in the current context of no value whatsoever!

By the by, I did go to a Doctor when I was seriously ill and following his advice I twice ended up unconscious in the back of a 999 ambulance. So much for expert advice? My non expert wife twice came to my rescue, so I am maybe biased towards non experts - of which there are plenty on here!

Nevertheless the experts on the ground at A&E with practical, not theoretical, knowledge pulled me back from the brink!

Am I a lucky bunny to have twice got away with it or an unlucky bunny to have twice been put in that situation by an expert?

There have been other times throughout my life when so called expert advice has proven not to be best advice - has that never happened to you?

If not you are indeed a lucky bunny and long may it continue!!

Guest pelmetman

Did I say it would happen then? :-S ............

I suspect it will happen before the end of our transition period >:-) ........

Tracker - 2019-03-01 8:13 PM

Sorry Brian, and without wishing to have a go at you in any way, but that was just a load of old waffle and in the current context of no value whatsoever!

By the by, I did go to a Doctor when I was seriously ill and following his advice I twice ended up unconscious in the back of a 999 ambulance. So much for expert advice? My non expert wife twice came to my rescue, so I am maybe biased towards non experts - of which there are plenty on here!

Nevertheless the experts on the ground at A&E with practical, not theoretical, knowledge pulled me back from the brink!

Am I a lucky bunny to have twice got away with it or an unlucky bunny to have twice been put in that situation by an expert?

There have been other times throughout my life when so called expert advice has proven not to be best advice - has that never happened to you?

If not you are indeed a lucky bunny and long may it continue!!

As I said Rich, each to their own. :-)

An expert is merely someone who has studied a subject in greater detail than the average person.

On that basis they should know better than the average person the consequences of a course of action (as relevant to their field of study). As to infallibility, of course they are not infallible - because their opinions are judgements based on their knowledge, and anyone's knowledge, however detailed, will have gaps. That has to be recognised. In the field of medicine, that potential fallibility is recognised through the concept of the second opinion.

In the field of forecasting, which is an inherently inexact science, based on probabilities, it is catered for by there being multiple opinions from multiple sources. No two are identical in their detail, but when all point in the same direction it is worth taking note and, IMO, foolish to discount them all on the basis that previous forecasts failed to exactly hit the target. That is the present position with Brexit.

I've spend my entire working life dealing with forecasts, and working with people many would regard as experts - though all would acknowledge that in their particular fields there are greater experts from whom they learn. It is how complex decisions get made, day in and day out.

If the expert proves wrong, s/he is liable to be sued by their client. If the expert's judgement strays outside the bounds of what the courts regard as reasonable, the expert is liable to lose - which is why all must hold adequate professional indemnity insurance, and why the client will demand sight of that insurance before employing the expert. Lose too many cases, and no-one will insure them. This tends to sharpen their minds somewhat - and they are cautious in their advice as a consequence.

The academic economists (mainly) who have provided the economic forecasts are equally cautious, because their reputations are their USP. If they present ill founded forecasts they are ridiculed, and few will employ a ridiculed academic, so their careers are at stake.

I don't expect any particular forecast to be spot on (except as a result of pure luck), but when a bunch of serious economists produce forecasts that all point in the same way, I definitely rate their collective advice as a far better guide to the future than those happy-go-lucky advocates of Brexit whose only contribution is along the lines of "it'll be alright on the night". There is far too much a stake for such irresponsible foolishness!

pelmetman - 2019-03-01 8:18 PM

1 Did I say it would happen then? :-S ............

2 I suspect it will happen before the end of our transition period >:-) ........

1 No, but for your comment about the NI referendum to have relevance while a no deal Brexit remains a possibility, it would have to, so that is the clear implication.

2 For there to be a transition period, there has to be a deal. The present deal involves the "backstop" which, unless the border issue is settled within the transition period, will prevent the UK from leaving the customs union and the single market until a solution is found. So, BRINO.

You think the referendum outcome is a foregone conclusion - and at some future date Ireland will re-unify. So do I. Where we differ is on when we think that may arise.

You continually ignore the fact that authorising the referendum would be an act of political suicide for the present government, and think they will rush to hold the referendum - to undo the Gordian knot they have tied around themselves by ignoring the border issue until after the Brexit referendum and the Article 50 notification. I don't. They have consistently put party before country, and I see no sign that is changing.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-02 11:44 AM

You continually ignore the fact that authorising the referendum would be an act of political suicide for the present government, and think they will rush to hold the referendum - to undo the Gordian knot they have tied around themselves by ignoring the border issue until after the Brexit referendum and the Article 50 notification. I don't. They have consistently put party before country, and I see no sign that is changing.

How so? ;-) ............Seeing as we will be allowing democracy to decide the future of NI B-) ........

I suspect the majority of us Brits who lived through the troubles, will think Dublin getting what they wished for........ as Karma :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 8:09 AM

How so? ;-) ............Seeing as we will be allowing democracy to decide the future of NI B-) ........

I suspect the majority of us Brits who lived through the troubles, will think Dublin getting what they wished for........ as Karma :D ..........

We can add Irish politics to the list of things Curtaintwitcher knows nothing about but wants to pontificate on.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-03-03 8:38 AM

We can add Irish politics to the list of things Curtaintwitcher knows nothing about but wants to pontificate on.

Where as you do? ;-) ............

So how do you think the (probably by now) majority Catholic population of NI would vote? :D ..........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43823506

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 8:49 AM

So how do you think the (probably by now) majority Catholic population of NI would vote? :D ..........

So are we going to open in voting to kids in nappies?

The majority of the population may be catholics by 2021, the majority of the electorate won't be.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/united-ireland-may-be-in-the-gift-of-others-1.3535062

I'm amazed. I thought you didn't want Corbyn as PM!

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-03-03 11:12 AM

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 8:49 AM

So are we going to open in voting to kids in nappies?

The majority of the population may be catholics by 2021, the majority of the electorate won't be.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/united-ireland-may-be-in-the-gift-of-others-1.3535062

Based on the 2011 census ;-) ..........and seeing as 55% of NI voted to stay part of the EU 8-) ...........

My guess is at the vote it'll be catholic's + Remoaners = I wanna be Irish :D .......

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-03 12:22 PM

It's got bog all to do with that fecking terrorist lover *-) ..........

My views are based on reality.........not some perverse ideology :-| ......

Corbyn is a result of our own liberal systems blind stupidity *-) ......

Cow pat aka Fast pat is proof positive of the incompetence of that system.......along with yourself and Veronica etc etc..........ie all you very clever folk who think we should give terrorists a second chance 8-) .......

To kill innocent people >:-( ........

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 3:17 PM

Cow pat aka Fast pat is proof positive of the incompetence of that system.......along with yourself and Veronica etc etc..........ie all you very clever folk who think we should give terrorists a second chance 8-) .......

OK, so slowly and gently. :-D

It is the UK Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who holds the power, under the Belfast agreement, to call the referendum - when he is satisfied that a sufficient number of people want to reunite Ireland. Right?

The present UK government is (just!) Conservative. Currently it has no majority at Westminster, so it had to use taxpayer's money to buy itself one courtesy of the DUP - who are the only party in Ulster in favour of Brexit. Right?

But, the DUP are viscerally against Irish re-unification, so would be bound to resile from their "confidence and supply" agreement with the Conservatives (who are now minus an MP or three, so increasing their minority status) were the prospect of a re-unification referendum even mentioned. Right?

Exit DUP stage left: Conservative minority government cannot deliver Brexit (or much of its other business). Probable result, government falls to be followed by general election. Right?

So the referendum would be a poison pill. Right?

On present indications, Labour stand a good chance of gaining a majority, meaning the Saintly Jeremy becomes PM. Right?

So back to my original point about the NI referendum. The outcome is so uncertain for the Conservatives they won't dare trigger it - even assuming there were a strong indication that a majority of the NI electorate willed one. Right?

If only your mate Raab had bothered to read the Belfast agreement (or visit Dover! :-D) when he was Brexit secretary, eh? What a wally! Right? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-03 4:19 PM

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 3:17 PM

OK, so slowly and gently. :-D

It is the UK Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who holds the power, under the Belfast agreement, to call the referendum - when he is satisfied that a sufficient number of people want to reunite Ireland. Right?

The present UK government is (just!) Conservative. Currently it has no majority at Westminster, so it had to use taxpayer's money to buy itself one courtesy of the DUP - who are the only party in Ulster in favour of Brexit. Right?

But, the DUP are viscerally against Irish re-unification, so would be bound to resile from their "confidence and supply" agreement with the Conservatives (who are now minus an MP or three, so increasing their minority status) were the prospect of a re-unification referendum even mentioned. Right?

Exit DUP stage left: Conservative minority government cannot deliver Brexit (or much of its other business). Probable result, government falls to be followed by general election. Right?

So the referendum would be a poison pill. Right?

On present indications, Labour stand a good chance of gaining a majority, meaning the Saintly Jeremy becomes PM. Right?

So back to my original point about the NI referendum. The outcome is so uncertain for the Conservatives they won't dare trigger it - even assuming there were a strong indication that a majority of the NI electorate willed one. Right?

If only your mate Raab had bothered to read the Belfast agreement (or visit Dover! :-D) when he was Brexit secretary, eh? What a wally! Right? :-D

Ok so very slowly ;-) .......

How do think us old farts arguing on here will make a blind bit of difference? :D ........

The UK public lobbed a unexpected grenade into their self satisfied House of Commons B-) .......

Now its "they" who have the problem >:-) .......

So do they want to suck up to their EU mates or their electorate who voted to leave with the exception of NI.....Scotland.....and London :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-03-03 4:40 PM.........………….So do they want to suck up to their EU mates or their electorate who voted to leave with the exception of NI.....Scotland.....and London :D ..........

I guess that will depend on when they begin to wonder which path will damage them the most:

a). explaining why they had to frustrate Brexit in order to avoid impoverishing the whole country, or

b) explaining why they impoverished the whole country in order to satisfy the Brexiters - without explaining its economic consequences or allowing a second, informed, vote!

My guess is that they are so tribal they will overlook both possibilities while each concentrates on wrong-footing the other for electoral advantage, until they realise that between them they have totally lost the trust of the electorate.

I think Pelmetman makes a good point. A referendum on Irish reunification could be voted in. It would be a good test anyway.

The Northern Irish keep repeating that they are not religious bigots. a number of Protestant Northern Irish have already applied for Irish Citizenship (to keep the benefits of being a citizen an EU member state, particularly motorhome owners).

A referendum would see how ingrained this religious bigotry really is. The threat of a referendum might even get their Politicians back into their parliament (once all the cobwebs have been cleared out). :D

747 - 2019-03-04 4:44 PM

I think Pelmetman makes a good point. A referendum on Irish reunification could be voted in. It would be a good test anyway.

The Northern Irish keep repeating that they are not religious bigots. a number of Protestant Northern Irish have already applied for Irish Citizenship (to keep the benefits of being a citizen an EU member state, particularly motorhome owners).

A referendum would see how ingrained this religious bigotry really is. The threat of a referendum might even get their Politicians back into their parliament (once all the cobwebs have been cleared out). :D

Except Pelmethead doesnt seem to understand that there is quite a difference between the census result showing the majority being catholic by 2021 and the majority of the electorate being catholic. About eighteen years to be precise, so only if you're happy for the backstop to remain in place and the UK to remain a "vassal state" is an Irish reunification referendum the solution.

747 - 2019-03-04 4:44 PM...………………...The threat of a referendum might even get their Politicians back into their parliament (once all the cobwebs have been cleared out). :D

Except that those politicians would then have to travel to Dublin, not Belfast!

Archiesgrandad - 2019-02-27 5:58 PMWe are only 4 weeks from the promised armageddon and the pound is gaining in value against the US Dollar and the Euro. We are told that our exit will be a disaster but somebody obviously doesn't realise.AGD

Bill, the A$ has dropped against the UK Pound from 0.56 to 0.54 in the last month not a big variation but consistent with other currencies. Fortunately we have prepaid a lot of the accom costs for our May visit so no big deal. Maybe worth considering a holiday down here with a strong currency. Allows you to escape all the scare mongering from both sides in the Brexit debate. After we return from UK we will head north to Queensland where we normally experience winter temps around 19-23C. The sea is not cold so good for swimming, the sharks have followed the wales further north, the snakes are in hibernation and if you bring UK Pounds everything is almost half price. Also airfares are super cheap, we are paying around 50% of the charge ten years ago. Oh yes and we do speak a version of English & mostly understand the English dialects except for some from the south west! Cheers,

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-04 5:55 PM

747 - 2019-03-04 4:44 PM...………………...The threat of a referendum might even get their Politicians back into their parliament (once all the cobwebs have been cleared out). :D

Except that those politicians would then have to travel to Dublin, not Belfast!

Yeah B-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-03-04 5:40 PM

747 - 2019-03-04 4:44 PM

Except Pelmethead doesnt seem to understand that there is quite a difference between the census result showing the majority being catholic by 2021 and the majority of the electorate being catholic. About eighteen years to be precise, so only if you're happy for the backstop to remain in place and the UK to remain a "vassal state" is an Irish reunification referendum the solution.

Except Slowpat.......55% of NI population are whinging whining Remoaners ;-) ........

So come a referendum it'll be Catholics + Remoaners voting to leave.......Deffo a slam dunk for Dublin :D ............

Archived