speed limiters

goldi

Ducato X290s have two ‘speed cntrolling’ features - one (referred to as “SPEED LIMITER” in the Owner Handbook) can be implemented by the driver, while the other (called “SPEED BLOCK” in the Owner Handbook) can be activated/deactivated by a Fiat dealership with the maximum speed setting being 90, 100, 110 or 130km/h.

However, what’s being suggested will be imposed on new cars from 2022 is something much more sophisticated.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6851299/All-new-cars-fitted-mandatory-speed-limiters-2022-shock-EU-rules.html

goldi - 2019-03-26 2:53 PM

good afternoon,

Just been reading in the Daily Mail that the EU will be requiring all new vehicles to have speed limiters from 2022. The manufacturers will also fit them to uk motors as well

Not a publication I read so I don't know if they give the full picture which is . . .

The EU wide directive agreed by the member countries (inc the UK) will make the following safety features mandatory in new vehicles from May 2022 for new models and May 2024 for new versions of current models

- Advanced automatic emergency braking systems

- Lane departure warning systems

- Intelligent speed assistance

- Alcohol interlock installation facilitation

- Advanced driver distraction warning

- Emergency stop signal

- Reversing cameras or detectors

- Accident data recorder

It’s estimated that this will result in saving approximately 25,000 lives by 2038.

As mentioned, many of the features are already available on vehicles as they’re necessary to achieve a 5 star NCAP rating.

Topmast - 2019-03-27 6:09 AM

Totally agree if people were taught to drive properly instead of how to pass a test you would not need all the modern gimmicks that are fitted to cars now.

Look on the bright side, intelligent speed assistance will take away any chance of getting a speeding fine and allow you to concentrate on pointing it in the right direction.

Muswell - 2019-03-27 7:57 AM

Totally agree if people were taught to drive properly instead of how to pass a test you would not need all the modern gimmicks that are fitted to cars now.

Look on the bright side, intelligent speed assistance will take away any chance of getting a speeding fine and allow you to concentrate on pointing it in the right direction.

That would annoy those who complain of speed cameras being a tax.

That is not necessarily the case.

I assume that if / when you pass a 30 limit sign the gadget will slow you down gradually - you could still be doing more than 30 after you have passed the sign.

A couple of years ago I was travelling along a tree lined country road - in a 50 limit.

I then came to a 30 limit sign - and lifted my foot to slow down.

Not far down the road was a police camera and I got a ticket because I was still doing 36 mph.

;-)

The UK has volunteered to be part of this. Presumably using Galileo, the eu's alternative to the present US run gps system. The problem being that if Brexit goes ahead the UK is excluded from the development of it. The hub has already been moved from the UK to Spain.

So if Brexit is enacted we lose control, and you will be monitored by the eu with the UK presumably paying them for the privilege!

Muswell - 2019-03-27 11:51 AM

It will work from GPS so I expect it would start slowing you down in anticipation. It is the first step towards the self-driving car :-D

This depends on the accuracy of gps.

Civilian use gps is not accurate and can vary by 00’s of metres over the same journey.

The military use the same gps satellites but with a greater accuracy standard not available on the kit we use.

I use a Garmin tracker when I am running backed up by my phones gps app. On the same run in open country, about 6 miles, that I do 3 times a week the distance recorded can vary by up to 0.4 miles on both with each recording different distances every time. When running over measured distances in the city with tall buildings to impede satellite signals I have had differences of over 12%. Needless to say my view on gps accuracy is somewhat sceptical.

Peter

colin - 2019-03-27 8:12 AM

That would annoy those who complain of speed cameras being a tax.

The majority are exactly for that reason and no other. You only have to look at the ridiculous amount of average speed cameras we have on our motorways, often reducing traffic to a 40mph crawl resulting in traffic traveling in blocks. They are cash cams.....not "safety" cameras.

This link was sent to me by a poster on this forum living in Germany. Obviously it's in euro and kph but easy enough to work out. Take a look and see how fair their system is compared to that of stealth tax greedy UK. In Germany, 6mph over the limit out of town gets you a fine of £8.50 and no points. The same offence, same circumstances in UK cost me £100 plus 3 penalty points.....and mine was just 4mph over. Also you get whats effectively a 'sentence' in that penalty points remain on your licence for four years.

https://rechneronline.de/bussgeld/speeding-fines.php

The modern driving test is MUCH tougher than when I passed my test over 40 years ago. I passed my test first time after just 10 lessons. There is no way I would have passed the modern test after just 10 lessons.

Whilst I agree that some modern cars have rather pointless and sometimes downright annoying gimmicks, IMHO many of the gizmos on cars do make driving both safer and easier. i.e sat navs, reversing cameras, cruise control, air bags etc.

Whilst many of us (including me) will doubtless find the introduction of mandatory speed limiters a right PITA, I do get why they are introducing them - to save lives. We know people who have lost friends or family in car accidents - it is devastating. Anything that can save 25,000 families that pain must ultimately be a good thing.

I'm sure that in 50 years time, people will look back on modern car safety with horror and disbelief that people took such risks (just look at modern attitudes to drink driving and to seat belt wearing).

peterjl - 2019-03-27 1:02 PM

Muswell - 2019-03-27 11:51 AM

It will work from GPS so I expect it would start slowing you down in anticipation. It is the first step towards the self-driving car :-D

This depends on the accuracy of gps.

Civilian use gps is not accurate and can vary by 00’s of metres over the same journey.

The military use the same gps satellites but with a greater accuracy standard not available on the kit we use.

I use a Garmin tracker when I am running backed up by my phones gps app. On the same run in open country, about 6 miles, that I do 3 times a week the distance recorded can vary by up to 0.4 miles on both with each recording different distances every time. When running over measured distances in the city with tall buildings to impede satellite signals I have had differences of over 12%. Needless to say my view on gps accuracy is somewhat sceptical.

Peter

The accuracy depends on the GPS receiver and how it estimates speed. Some just use the time between two positions to estimate speed while better ones look at the doppler shift on the GPS signal to give a better estimate.

In any case, it is unlikely they will use GPS alone to estimate speed as the vehicle's own method (revs out of the gearbox) is perfectly adequate for this purpose. The displayed speed on the dash is deliberately made lower than the true speed measured by the vehicle.

Billggski - 2019-03-27 12:11 PM

. . . and you will be monitored by the eu with the UK presumably paying them for the privilege!

That’s not how gps works. Gps satellites do not monitor where our gps receivers are – it’s the other way around, our gps receivers (eg sat navs) monitor where the satellites are. Currently we have a choice of American and European GPS satellites(Galileo) and if we venture further afield Russian and Chinese satellites. That will not change and the service is not paid for by us at point of use.

The big issue re Galileo (as you highlighted), is that as we will be a third country, we will be denied access to the encryption that is important for military purposes – ie in time of war when the gps satellite transmissions are restricted to appropriate military only via encryption. We’ll also no longer be able to influence it’s future development direction which may impact our defence industry offerings (our defence industry currently makes the UK big bucks).

As you’ve correctly intimated, the UK will also lose expertise in the technology as it migrates to the new development centres. Personally, despite the alleged commitment, I’m not convinced that the UK will be able to afford it’s own GPS system – we’re talking billions.

plwsm2000 - 2019-03-27 2:25 PM

In any case, it is unlikely they will use GPS alone to estimate speed as the vehicle's own method (revs out of the gearbox) is perfectly adequate for this purpose. The displayed speed on the dash is deliberately made lower than the true speed measured by the vehicle.

GPS will be purely used to determine the applicable speed limit – much like the speed limit displayed on a sat nav.

Actual speed will be determined by the vehicle.

Most modern cars already have the technology in place to work this system, they just don’t use it to modify the vehicle’s speed. It will still be the driver’s responsibility to drive within the speed limit. This is especially relevant given that temporary speed limits are unlikely to be registered by the in car system unless it receives constant real time updates – and even then I doubt it could be guaranteed to be 100% up to date.

It’s my understanding that a driver will be able to override the system for a short while by pushing down hard on the accelerator, a sort of get out of trouble mode. I suspect anyone caught speeding in such circumstances will face much heavier fines as it would have to be a conscious act to speed rather than a momentary lack of concentration.

pagey - 2019-03-27 5:50 PM

Muswell - 2019-03-27 5:44 PM

pagey - 2019-03-27 3:52 PM

i dont think this will bother me in my kia picanto :-D

You mean it won't go above 20mph? :'(

only on the expensive petrol

Live fast , die young.

Archived