Time to get ready for May EU elections.........

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone see Farage on Politics Live today?

Regarding his funding watch what happens when asked if Arron Banks would be funding his new party. Very uncomfortable. He never properly answers the question though and just seems somewhat deranged. (lol)

Perhaps he knows Banks is going down at some point and wants to distance himself. If he does go down I bet he takes that cockroach with him.

Fast Pat - 2019-04-12 5:31 PM

So joining Nigel Farage in his fight against the elites is a property fund manager, a multi-millionaire and Jacob Rees-Mogg’s sister.

This has always baffled me, the less well off who somehow believed by 'sticking it to the elites' (ironic eh) they are going to have a share in the wealth from self serving disaster capitalists when the reality is they're going to be suffering years more austerity. It's like a hair shirt mentality of self flagellation they insist all other proles should rejoice and indulge with them whilst the Rees-Moggs et al will be stuffing their bank vaults and ordering crates of Dom Perignon.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-12 3:39 PM

747 - 2019-04-11 11:14 PM

I suppose that someone who has led a risk free life will eventually purchase a motorhome and go off on big adventures ... to Europe. :D

Oh no, not a motorhome - not just any motorhome - but a Burstner Delphin Performance T821 - the motorhome for unbridled risk-takers! Hmmmm! Risk taking indeed! :-D

Oh come on, be fair Brian. He has been an industrial mercenary for oppressive regimes in his day.

Fast Pat - 2019-04-12 6:22 PM

I suppose that someone who has led a risk free life will eventually purchase a motorhome and go off on big adventures ... to Europe. :D

Oh no, not a motorhome - not just any motorhome - but a Burstner Delphin Performance T821 - the motorhome for unbridled risk-takers! Hmmmm! Risk taking indeed! :-D

Oh come on, be fair Brian. He has been an industrial mercenary for oppressive regimes in his day.

I know, but he doesn't seem to have enjoyed it very much. In fact, he seem to rather resent having done it.

What these hardened risk takers seldom clarify is the nature of the risk they took, and why it was worth taking. After all, crossing the road is taking a risk. Driving is taking a risk. Even being at home is taking a risk (the home is where most accidents take place).

So is the risk just not getting paid, or being unaware that the risk existed, or being killed or injured. Why did they decide to accept it, and what did they do to reduce it to an acceptable level? In the absence of something more informative, "I'm hard, because I take risks", is a completely meaningless measure of personal character/courage/stupidity.

Some are thrill seekers who take risks to prove to themselves that they can triumph over adversity (or not!), at the other end of the scale are others who have to confront risks in order to do their day jobs (e.g. firemen). Most of us are presumably somewhere between the two.

I'd have thought Nigel would have launched his party among all the Grimsby Fishing folk instead of some factory on a Coventry industrial estate. Wonder if he'll manage to attend any of his party meetings? :-|

Annunziata....woman of the pepul. (lol)

Don't 'do' Europe Brian, don't 'do' longhaul Holidays nowadays either.

Bought the moho so we could take the dogs away with us.

But you knew that didn't you? :D

pelmetman - 2019-04-07 10:21 AM

It's because of PR UKIP got so many seats in the European Parliament ;-) ..........

Where as roughly the same number of voters in a UK general election didn't get a single seat *-) ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

PR is good news for Brexiteers B-) ......

I'm guessing that you think the EU elections is straight PR vote? They're actually run under the D’Hondt system which heavily favours larger parties and thus works against groups that split their votes amongst several parties.....

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-13 9:33 AM

It's because of PR UKIP got so many seats in the European Parliament ;-) ..........

Where as roughly the same number of voters in a UK general election didn't get a single seat *-) ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

I'm guessing that you think the EU elections is straight PR vote? They're actually run under the D’Hondt system which heavily favours larger parties and thus works against groups that split their votes amongst several parties.....

I'm guessing you're hoping the turn out will be as low as it was in 2014 >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-13 1:29 PM

I'm guessing you're hoping the turn out will be as low as it was in 2014 >:-) ........

Who knows? I'd like to think that the electorate will be more engaged, it certainly seems that way when canvassing around these parts - which WAS a strong leave area, but people now understand more of the complexities of the argument. That's why I'm even keener for that second vote we're moving too.

Either way the fact is that under the D'Hondt PR system that the EU elections will be held under a Kipper and Brexs**t party splits the vote which will lead to less seats.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-13 2:15 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-13 1:29 PM

Who knows? I'd like to think that the electorate will be more engaged, it certainly seems that way when canvassing around these parts - which WAS a strong leave area, but people now understand more of the complexities of the argument. That's why I'm even keener for that second vote we're moving too.

Either way the fact is that under the D'Hondt PR system that the EU elections will be held under a Kipper and Brexs**t party splits the vote which will lead to less seats.

You mean under that system where Labour and the Tories are dependent on their Lemmings? :D .....

"YouGov’s first voting intention poll of the campaign shows large swathes of Britons turning their backs on the main two parties and moving towards groups with harder Brexit positions."

Which considering Mayday May has yet to confirm we'll be having EU elections is surprising ;-) .........

I kinda get the feeling YOU Lemmings will be out numbered on the day >:-) ........

Perhaps you should start practicing this establishment phrase......."It's not as bad as we'd feared".......

Just sayin :D .........

I know maths (or the English language for that matter), isn't your strong point so I'll try to spell it out for you.

Two Brexit parties, or even three, on the ballot paper will split the leaver vote AND under the d'Hondt system of PR you'll get less MEP's than when the kippers were the only game in town.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/european_elections/the_voting_system.html

And under this system you can bin your polling data, hence why UKIPs last success was such a surprise, no polsters can accurately predict outcomes.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-13 2:53 PM

I know maths (or the English language for that matter), isn't your strong point so I'll try to spell it out for you.

Two Brexit parties, or even three, on the ballot paper will split the leaver vote AND under the d'Hondt system of PR you'll get less MEP's than when the kippers were the only game in town.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/your-meps/european_elections/the_voting_system.html

And under this system you can bin your polling data, hence why UKIPs last success was such a surprise, no polsters can accurately predict outcomes.

Best explain that to the Guardian then ;-) ........

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/09/labour-and-tories-reluctantly-prepare-for-european-elections

"And while Ukip and the Brexit party will essentially be competing for the same voters, the PR system means both could thrive. According to the poll, Farage’s organisation is on 10.3% support, with Ukip at 7.5%."

Unless your bible is talking sh*te :D .......

......and to be fair......it is according to Brexit Party & UKIP vote share......

Just sayin >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-13 2:15 PM

Who knows? I'd like to think that the electorate will be more engaged, it certainly seems that way when canvassing around these parts -

Almost missed this little gem :D ........

So I hope you were telling them how grateful you were for BRITISH TAXPAYERS MONEY? >:-) ......

pelmetman - 2019-04-13 3:41 PM

So I hope you were telling them how grateful you were for BRITISH TAXPAYERS MONEY? >:-) ......

Nope it was from the EU.

You do though seem a little fixated that I managed to access substantial EU funds for my projects whilst you were struggling to scrape a couple of grand together for a second hand dinghy. I hope that's not the green eyed monster?

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-13 3:59 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-13 3:41 PM

Nope it was from the EU.

You do though seem a little fixated that I managed to access substantial EU funds for my projects whilst you were struggling to scrape a couple of grand together for a second hand dinghy. I hope that's not the green eyed monster?

Lets try a Diane Abbott Maths lesson ;-) .........

A country puts money into a empty pot...........27 other countries allow them to have some of the money back.......Who's money are they spending? *-) ........

BTW I'm not the one who's still working full time at 55 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-04-13 4:18 PM

BTW I'm not the one who's still working full time at 55 8-) ..........

Do a job you enjoy, that way you never have to go to work.

PS the only reason whilst I'm still working is my wife is still getting treatment.

747 - 2019-04-13 9:31 AM

No, but how is that relevant to risk? I guess the dogs might crap on the carpet, but otherwise? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-13 4:50 PM

A man borrows five pounds from a friend. He already has five pounds. He later spends six pounds. Whose money did he spend?

So since 1973 we've only lent the EU that half a trillion pounds? B-) ..............

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-13 5:17 PM

No, but how is that relevant to risk? I guess the dogs might crap on the carpet, but otherwise? :-D

"The man who never took a risk never did anything".

They must have meant you Brian.

747 - 2019-04-14 9:22 AM

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-13 5:17 PM

"The man who never took a risk never did anything".

They must have meant you Brian.

Yes, they must have, because, sob, I've never done anything. How sad. While you have done so much! :-D

Archived