Holy Week

Birdbrain

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 8:27 AM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-22 1:47 PM

The Sri Lankan attack could have been avoided according to their intel chief as they received warnings of the attacks and even given the bombers names.....so wtf was going on there?? The letter they received even named the group who are a known organisation with extremist anti-Buddhism views (70% of Sri Lanka is Buddhist). Government claim they weren't informed so someone has many questions to answer.

So your trying to say Islamic state weren't behind the attacks? *-) ..........

Am i.......then show which part of the post you've quoted says that bearing in mind you've quoted a four day old post made on news reports from that timeline.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2019-04-25 11:50 PM

747 - 2019-04-25 11:02 PM

As bullet said, "Christians are a small minority group".

So 70% of those killed in the Christian places of worship were Buddhists.

*-) *-)

Not what "i say" at all but what Wiki states for the demographics of Sri Lanka. Very simply sourced. It's not a country i'm familiar with so i looked there......if you know different then why not post up the links instead of being bloody cocky?

Religion

Majority religion by DS Division according to 2012 census

Religion in Sri Lanka (2012)[23]

Buddhism (70.2%)

Hinduism (12.6%)

Islam (9.7%)

Roman Catholic (6.1%)

Other Christian (1.3%)

Other (0.05%)

Main article: Religion in Sri Lanka

According to the 2012 census Buddhists make up 70.1% of the population, Hindus 12.6%, Muslims 9.7% and Christians 7.6%.[24] Most Sinhalese are Buddhist; most Tamils are Hindu; and the Moors and Malays are mostly Muslim. Sizeable minorities of both Sinhalese and Tamils are Christians, 84% of whom are Roman Catholic.

Most of the dead were killed in a Church during a Service. By my reckoning that will make them around 100% Christian.

Jeez, you make it hard work bullet. 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-26 12:31 PM

The Sri Lankan attack could have been avoided according to their intel chief as they received warnings of the attacks and even given the bombers names.....so wtf was going on there?? The letter they received even named the group who are a known organisation with extremist anti-Buddhism views (70% of Sri Lanka is Buddhist). Government claim they weren't informed so someone has many questions to answer.

Am i.......then show which part of the post you've quoted says that bearing in mind you've quoted a four day old post made on news reports from that timeline.

Well who are you blaming? ;-) .........

Islamic state?.......ie Muslims 8-) .......

747 - 2019-04-26 12:38 PM

*-) *-)

Not what "i say" at all but what Wiki states for the demographics of Sri Lanka. Very simply sourced. It's not a country i'm familiar with so i looked there......if you know different then why not post up the links instead of being bloody cocky?

Religion

Buddhism (70.2%)

Hinduism (12.6%)

Islam (9.7%)

Roman Catholic (6.1%)

Other Christian (1.3%)

Other (0.05%)

According to the 2012 census Buddhists make up 70.1% of the population, Hindus 12.6%, Muslims 9.7% and Christians 7.6%.[24] Most Sinhalese are Buddhist; most Tamils are Hindu; and the Moors and Malays are mostly Muslim. Sizeable minorities of both Sinhalese and Tamils are Christians, 84% of whom are Roman Catholic.

Most of the dead were killed in a Church during a Service. By my reckoning that will make them around 100% Christian.

Possibly many were, some may well have been of different faiths or even non-practising as there were tourists (you don't have to be Christian to go in a church or Hindu in a temple etc), though it wasn't just churches targeted but also hotels. What is indisputable is predominantly Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country.

More news has come out now and listening to a report last night on C4 news, apart from a gross failure in government inter departmental communication, there seems to have been some 'politicking' going on.

https://www.channel4.com/news/bomb-suspects-may-still-be-on-run-sri-lanka-pm-tells-channel-4-news

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-26 2:11 PM

*-) *-)

Religion

Buddhism (70.2%)

Hinduism (12.6%)

Islam (9.7%)

Roman Catholic (6.1%)

Other Christian (1.3%)

Other (0.05%)

Possibly many were, some may well have been of different faiths or even non-practising as there were tourists (you don't have to be Christian to go in a church or Hindu in a temple etc), though it wasn't just churches targeted but also hotels. What is indisputable is predominantly Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country.

Prolly the only non Christian in the church..... was a Muslim wearing a backpack *-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 2:00 PM

A Sri Lankan extremist group with links to IS claimed it three days ago. Can't you access news reports?

Sri Lankan authorities have blamed a local Islamist extremist group, National Tawheed Jamath, for the attacks. A previously little-known domestic radical, Hashim gained some local notoriety a few years ago as part of a group which defaced Buddhist statues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48062841

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-26 2:23 PM

A Sri Lankan extremist group with links to IS claimed it three days ago. Can't you access news reports?

Sri Lankan authorities have blamed a local Islamist extremist group, National Tawheed Jamath, for the attacks. A previously little-known domestic radical, Hashim gained some local notoriety a few years ago as part of a group which defaced Buddhist statues.

So Muslims then? :-| ..........

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 2:22 PM

*-) *-)

Religion

Buddhism (70.2%)

Hinduism (12.6%)

Islam (9.7%)

Roman Catholic (6.1%)

Other Christian (1.3%)

Other (0.05%)

Prolly the only non Christian in the church..... was a Muslim wearing a backpack *-) .........

When you go to a church do you suddenly 'become a Christian'.......because you aren't are you? You've openly said on here you're atheist.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-26 2:27 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 2:22 PM

*-) *-)

Religion

Buddhism (70.2%)

Hinduism (12.6%)

Islam (9.7%)

Roman Catholic (6.1%)

Other Christian (1.3%)

Other (0.05%)

When you go to a church do you suddenly 'become a Christian'.......because you aren't are you? You've openly said on here you're atheist.

Which is why I don't go to church services ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 2:25 PM

No this is where you and i differ. A Muslim extremist does not make Muslims per se 'extremists' in exactly the same way as i don't see Christian fundamentalists who preach divisive hatred but on the opposing side, as Christian. You're allowing this spread of division and hatred to cloud the issues to the point you tar all Muslims with the same brush which is wrong on so many levels, partly out of ignorance, partly because it's easier, and partly because that's what you want it to be.

As soldiers armed with assault rifles guarded Colombo's golden-domed Kollupitiya Jummah Masjid, hundreds of Muslims defied government calls to stay at home and attended a service they said was focused on a call for people of all religions to help return peace to Sri Lanka.

"We work with Christians, Buddhists, Hindus. It has been a threat for all of us because of what these few people have done to this beautiful country," said 28-year-old sales worker Raees Ulhaq.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/sri-lanka-bombings-latest-updates-190421092621543.html

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-26 2:41 PM

No this is where you and i differ. A Muslim extremist does not make Muslims per se 'extremists' in exactly the same way as i don't see Christian fundamentalists who preach divisive hatred but on the opposing side, as Christian. You're allowing this spread of division and hatred to cloud the issues to the point you tar all Muslims with the same brush which is wrong on so many levels, partly out of ignorance, partly because it's easier, and partly because that's what you want it to be.

As soldiers armed with assault rifles guarded Colombo's golden-domed Kollupitiya Jummah Masjid, hundreds of Muslims defied government calls to stay at home and attended a service they said was focused on a call for people of all religions to help return peace to Sri Lanka.

"We work with Christians, Buddhists, Hindus. It has been a threat for all of us because of what these few people have done to this beautiful country," said 28-year-old sales worker Raees Ulhaq.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/sri-lanka-bombings-latest-updates-190421092621543.html

Seeing as I've read the Koran and you haven't ;-) ........

Islamic state appears to be following it to the letter *-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 3:05 PM

What you do is use google or any Islamophobic websites to selectively pick certain parts of text which suit your narrative. You've often claimed to have "read the Quran" but the fact you're openly atheist has always cast much scepticism on that claim imo.....in the same way as you don't read or understand anything about East European countries because you have no interest in them.

Some people selectively pick at certain texts of the Bible, homophobia (Leviticus and Deuteronomy), child beating (Proverbs) or being whipped by Jews (Corinthians) with the sole purpose of denigrating Christianity. You do exactly the same with selective quoting of the Quran. If you were genuine and sincere in your interest of Islam, then you'd go along to a local mosque and speak with Muslims, but you don't because you are not sincere about wanting to learn what they follow at all.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-26 5:25 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-26 3:05 PM

What you do is use google or any Islamophobic websites to selectively pick certain parts of text which suit your narrative. You've often claimed to have "read the Quran" but the fact you're openly atheist has always cast much scepticism on that claim imo.....in the same way as you don't read or understand anything about East European countries because you have no interest in them.

Some people selectively pick at certain texts of the Bible, homophobia (Leviticus and Deuteronomy), child beating (Proverbs) or being whipped by Jews (Corinthians) with the sole purpose of denigrating Christianity. You do exactly the same with selective quoting of the Quran. If you were genuine and sincere in your interest of Islam, then you'd go along to a local mosque and speak with Muslims, but you don't because you are not sincere about wanting to learn what they follow at all.

There are 1,189 chapters in the bible......and a mere 114 in the Koran, of which a fair chunk was plagiarized from the bible ;-) ......

Here's the copy I read..... https://www.clearquran.com/ ..........

It's quite sanitized when compared to the Arabic version they use in most mosques :-| ........

Perhaps once you've read it....... we can discuss why they have a Nonbelieverphobia? :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-27 8:21 AM

There are 1,189 chapters in the bible......and a mere 114 in the Koran, of which a fair chunk was plagiarized from the bible ;-) ......

It's quite sanitized when compared to the Arabic version they use in most mosques :-| ........

Perhaps once you've read it....... we can discuss why they have a Nonbelieverphobia? :D .......

As you obviously feel well versed as a theologian of the Quran i'd suggest you go and meet various Muslims or in particular, Imans, as you'd feel at home discussing with them wouldn't you? Might even learn something. As with all faiths though, each have differing interpretations of scripture which (imo) is often where problems begin. For example i've listened to debates between Muslims over the wearing of the Hijab with some saying it's essential and other muslims saying that it's not. It was quite vocal too.

Myself, i'm no theologian and never have been. That doesn't (imo) make a person faithless or 'non-believer' like yourself, just someone not versed in scripture. My brother-in-law is as 1) he's a practising Christian and 2) holds a 1st class honours degree in History and knows a heck of a lot about biblical heritage sites and religious buildings.

You could combine the two.....meet a few Imans and people like my brother-in-law. I'm sure you'd fit right in.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 5:23 PM

As you obviously feel well versed as a theologian of the Quran i'd suggest you go and meet various Muslims or in particular, Imans, as you'd feel at home discussing with them wouldn't you? Might even learn something. As with all faiths though, each have differing interpretations of scripture which (imo) is often where problems begin. For example i've listened to debates between Muslims over the wearing of the Hijab with some saying it's essential and other muslims saying that it's not. It was quite vocal too.

Myself, i'm no theologian and never have been. That doesn't (imo) make a person faithless or 'non-believer' like yourself, just someone not versed in scripture. My brother-in-law is as 1) he's a practising Christian and 2) holds a 1st class honours degree in History and knows a heck of a lot about biblical heritage sites and religious buildings.

You could combine the two.....meet a few Imans and people like my brother-in-law. I'm sure you'd fit right in.

I prefer to go straight to the source rather than listen to spin ;-) ........

You should try it :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-27 5:39 PM

Except what you're doing is exactly the same as every fundamentalist irrespective of whatever faith. Nit picking certain parts of text then twisting it into your own interpretation for what you want it to be. Far better imo to listen and form a more balanced opinion from those who don't do that.

Guest pelmetman

Myself, i'm no theologian and never have been. That doesn't (imo) make a person faithless or 'non-believer' like yourself, just someone not versed in scripture. My brother-in-law is as 1) he's a practising Christian and 2) holds a 1st class honours degree in History and knows a heck of a lot about biblical heritage sites and religious buildings

Really not trying to be offensive this time Bullet ;-) ........

So your BIL is a religious anorak with qualifications :-| ..........

Which means he's qualified in religious fairy stories........am I supposed to be impressed by that as a atheist? 8-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 6:01 PM

Except what you're doing is exactly the same as every fundamentalist irrespective of whatever faith. Nit picking certain parts of text then twisting it into your own interpretation for what you want it to be. Far better imo to listen and form a more balanced opinion from those who don't do that.

Except I'm not a fundamentalist ;-) .......

fundamentalist

noun

a person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion.

I'm a nonbeliever B-) ......

pelmetman - 2019-04-27 6:10 PM

fundamentalist

noun

a person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion.

It's the action of....an intolerance and unwillingness to listen to or accept any other view, which, being an atheist, explains why you take that stance though it's certainly odd (to me) why you'd want to read anything concerning religion....hence my sceptism of your claim but who knows, maybe next year you'll be venturing to gain some East European culture instead of swigging English beer in Spain at a bacon 'n burger butty bar.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 6:35 PM

fundamentalist

noun

It's the action of....an intolerance and unwillingness to listen to or accept any other view, which, being an atheist, explains why you take that stance though it's certainly odd (to me) why you'd want to read anything concerning religion....hence my sceptism of your claim but who knows, maybe next year you'll be venturing to gain some East European culture instead of swigging English beer in Spain at a bacon 'n burger butty bar.

I'm intolerant? 8-) .......

When have I or a atheist ever murdered anyone because of a belief in fairy stories? *-) ........

BTW have you got as far East as the Ukraine or Israel yet?.......

I know which country you'll feel almost at home in :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-27 6:44 PM

fundamentalist

noun

When have I or a atheist ever murdered anyone because of a belief in fairy stories? *-) ........

There you go again you see. Off on a wild tangent about murder when the vast majority of people never commit a murder and it's common knowledge most are carried out by people known to the victim....husband, wife, sibling or neighbour. And don't you think calling a religious faith a 'fairy story' is insulting to those with a faith?

I know your geography has always been a bit suspect but Israel isn't an East European country and yes i've been in Ukraine though couldn't get green card cover last year.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 7:08 PM

fundamentalist

noun

There you go again you see. Off on a wild tangent about murder when the vast majority of people never commit a murder and it's common knowledge most are carried out by people known to the victim....husband, wife, sibling or neighbour. And don't you think calling a religious faith a 'fairy story' is insulting to those with a faith?

I know your geography has always been a bit suspect but Israel isn't an East European country and yes i've been in Ukraine though couldn't get green card cover last year.

Tangent? :-S ........Do you really wanna do the scores on the doors stuff? *-) .......

BTW why wouldn't they let you into the Ukraine? 8-) .......

Perhaps you're too Communist :D ......

pelmetman - 2019-04-27 7:16 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 7:08 PM

fundamentalist

noun

Tangent? :-S ........Do you really wanna do the scores on the doors stuff? *-) .......

BTW why wouldn't they let you into the Ukraine? 8-) .......

Perhaps you're too Communist :D ......

I thought you knew what green card insurance is? For the most part Scenic who cover me are pretty good and cover more countries than most. Last year though they couldn't for Ukraine but could for Kosovo. Ukraine would have been useful as i could have avoided the trek from northern Romania around the bottom end of Ukraine through Hungary and Czech, both of which meant buying a vignette just to get through to Poland. It varies each year....eg Albania was also off their list last year though i wasn't going there anyway. You can buy insurance at borders of some countries but i feel more secure getting green card here.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 7:37 PM

I thought you knew what green card insurance is? For the most part Scenic who cover me are pretty good and cover more countries than most. Last year though they couldn't for Ukraine but could for Kosovo. Ukraine would have been useful as i could have avoided the trek from northern Romania around the bottom end of Ukraine through Hungary and Czech, both of which meant buying a vignette just to get through to Poland. It varies each year....eg Albania was also off their list last year though i wasn't going there anyway. You can buy insurance at borders of some countries but i feel more secure getting green card here.

Yes I know what is *-) .......

I had it for when I drove my new Honda Accord back from Gib in the mid 70's......and when I drove a moho around Morocco a little while later ;-) .......

As you now know.......It's no big deal :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-27 7:46 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-27 7:37 PM

As you now know.......It's no big deal :D ........

It is when cover isn't available for a country you particularly want one year.

Archived