recommendations of campsites

Depends how far you're prepared to travel. I was in Moldova last year and the sky was crystal clear every night. I assume due to very low or little air pollution. You could easily star gaze with the naked eye.

Closer to home, try anywhere on the north west cost of Scotland. Further up the better.

Kelling Heath in North Norfolk is superb. A good combination of skies that are often both clear and dark and little or no lighting on the site away from the end of the "yellow" field nearest reception. Pitches are very generously sized and all have EHU.

The site holds three star parties a year where 100s of amateur astronomers get together.

As a big plus, the site has good facilities and nature walks on site. The north Norfolk steam railways runs pretty much through the site (there is a request holt 10/15 minutes walk from the camping areas); the Muckleborough Collection tank museum is 5 minutes drive from the site entrance, there a lovely beaches within 10/20 minute drive. Oh and of course the North Norfolk coast is arguably the best birdwatching area in the UK.

What's not to like? - well it's the price I'm afraid. A normal grass pitch in high season is going to cost you close to £30 a night. Add an awning and go for a fully serviced super pitch and you may have little change out of £40 a night - ouch!

The prices for the star parties are very heavily discounted, with a flat rate of about £17-£18 a night regardless of pitch type or whether or not you have an awning.

Bulletguy - 2019-05-08 8:13 PM

Closer to home, try anywhere on the north west cost of Scotland. Further up the better.

I agree that WHEN IT'S CLEAR the skies in NW Scotland are stunning. The problem is that because you are so far north, in the summer months (Late April to Mid September) it doesn't really get property dark at all, and for much of the rest of the year it rains an awful lot of the time.

michaelmorris - 2019-05-08 9:18 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-05-08 8:13 PM

I agree that WHEN IT'S CLEAR the skies in NW Scotland are stunning. The problem is that because you are so far north, in the summer months (Late April to Mid September) it doesn't really get property dark at all, and for much of the rest of the year it rains an awful lot of the time.

Yes that's true. The first time i was up that way at Durness and remember checking the clock as it was eerily light at 11.30pm! By comparison the nights in Moldova were jet black dark but crystal clear cloudless with stars twinkling away like mad. A Ukranian guy at the same place who was a bit of a star gazer had some kind of programme in his ipad which identified each star. A useful guy too who doubled as interpreter as i can't speak a word of Russian apart from please and thank you!

Many campsites advertise themselves as dark sky friendly because they have very little skyglow. However, some will still have lights on all night on the site!

Then there is the problem of light pollution from fellow campers. Some people string up rope lights in their awning, leave their awning light on, leave their blinds up and/or have a TV on. Any of these can ruin you night vision.

The appeal of a good star party is that the loos have black out blinds, and should be no white light visible from any tent/motorhome. Turn on your awning light at a star party and you will hear all sorts of words your mother told you were bad. ??

At star parties, where necessary you are allowed dim downward facing deep red lights. This should limit the harm to your night vision.

Bulletguy - 2019-05-08 11:24 PM

....... who was a bit of a star gazer had some kind of programme in his iPad which identified each star.

I have two apps of my iPad if you are interested? Both of them are similar in operation and I use both of them a lot. Essentially, they identify each star / planet / constellation as well as showing moving rockets and satellites etc. You can type in a particular star etc. and it will tell you where it is in the sky at your chosen time.

When you put them in compass mode they swivel around as you point your iPad to the sky showing and identifying stars in real time.

If that wasn't enough .... by turning on the camera it transforms into a 'head's-up' display overlaying the real sky with stars and constellations to easily identify the night sky. You will never again look up and say "which star is that?"

'Stellarium' is free for PCs http://stellarium.org/ (but obviously you can't point your PC at the sky!!) and you can get Apple and Android versions (from their app stores) which cost a two or three pounds (money very well spent)

I think 'Sky Guide' (my favourite) is only available in iPad format and again costs two or three pounds.

Money well spent - if you're into that sort of thing - and much more enjoyable than TV ;-)

2016622502_StellariumApp.png.d0ce5a28c15937b0b882f9cd88b4e322.png

587888356_SkyGuideApp.png.9f679ba581efa650bdeaa020ef64881b.png

Archived