Autocruise water-tank filling

Derek Uzzell

Re-opening this thread, has anyone fitted a standard 50mm filler pipe and water inlet fitting to a Autocruise Wentworth.

We bought one yesterday and as Terry says you can fill direct into the tank via the lid, it'd be a PITA, worse if the damned thing decided to not shut off or worse the hozelock fitting decided to part, not unknown.

The tank is placed centrally between the chassis rails so with luck these will also be well inside the under bed locker making it a fairly easy mod to do.

I anticipate:-

1, Empty and dry the inside of the tank as much as possible, so any later debris can be easily removed.

2, Using my multi tool with saw blade on, cut an access hatch in the floor within the locker.

3, Hole saw just slightly bigger than the fill pipe.

4, Make a new hatch cover (I have a stack of lightweight ply) for the new access hole with a 50mm hole for the filler pipe.

5, Fashion a pair of collars out of plastic sheet (also got) which once the pipe is through the hole in the tank can be well secured with SikaFlex so it can't leak.

6, Fit water inlet point adjacent to existing one so you have a choice of how you fill.

7, Connect up the 50mm pipe, there is no need of a vent pipe as the other system has a one already in place.

Hopefully that should make life a but better when filling up.

If anyone can see any problems please sing out, as I'd rather not have to do it twice :D :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Autocruise produced the “Wentworth” model for quite a few years and on different Peugeot chassis, so it might be helpful if you said what vintage your motorhome is.

I think the chances of a forum-member having done what you are proposing on a Wentworth are minimal. In fact, I’m doubtful that anyone will have DIYed this modification to any motorhome, but one never knows...

As you’ve only just acquired the Wentworth it might be wise to put this project on the back-burner until you’ve had some ownership experience with the vehicle and can decide whether its existing water-filling system is intolerable.

I can’t see anything inherently ‘wrong’ with what you are planning to do, though I’d be looking at the CAK Tanks catalogue

http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

for products that might facilitate the task rather than prefabricate things like (say) plastic collars.

If you do decide to go ahead, you might want to take plenty of photos and submit an article to MMM magazine describing your DIY project.

Ours is autocruise Stargazer, and as others hav indicated, we use the original fitment to fill via external input, BUT we dont use the external submersible pump.

I disconnected the pump and wiring and fitted a hozelock connector in place of the pump. we carry a pair of the flexible expanding hoses with matching connectors, and at the tap end I have 4 short length tap connectors each about 8 inches and each fitted with the hozelock at one end and different tap connectors at the other end to cater for screw thread, or push on type taps.. we also have a selection of screw thread tap connectors adapters.

both expanding hoses witll extend to about 20 feet .

the connector adapters and hoses are carried wrapped around the tank underfloor big filling cap.

As a backup we also carry a 5 litre plastic carrier which we can use to transfer water direct into the top of the tank under the floor if we cannot get close enough to the tap..

water pressure has never yet caused a problem of leaks etc , but we do find the we loose water when travelling via the tank vent which is about 2 inch dia, so I have attempted to seal the vent so that surging doesnt throw the water away . this is done by simply closing the vent with duck tape. and a tiny air hole in the screw on tank top.

we also have removed the original fitted carpets, and replaced them with suitable loose pieces simple velcro attached to the floor to stop them slipping around.

it works for us.

tonyg3nwl

Hi Derek, Thanks for the quick reply :D

Van is an 02 on the Peugeot chassis, standard not Alko.

I did a self build a few years ago so not too bothered about doing the job, it's likely not been done before because most already have it as a normal filler inlet, this is the first that I, the dealer or any of my friends has ever seen like this, or at least notice.

We mainly Wild camp so messing with silly external pumps which may just pack up when you most need it, so it's top of the list of mods, then a Gasit cylinder, followed by 2 x 125ah LBs if they prove to be needed, not checked those out yet.

Good idea about CAKTanks, also might give Shaun Barrett a ring as he's making tanks for MoHos all the time.

Kev.

Hi Tony, thanks,

I did look at doing it that way too, but the 50mm inlet pipe will be much quicker anyway, I've just checked my parts bin and I may even have all I need to do the job already, there is no real pressure when filling as the filling hose isn't anywhere near the diameter of the 50mm hose, and the only real pressure would be when driving.

Kev.

Alibaba - 2016-09-29 11:10 AM

...then a Gasit cylinder...

Kev.

Unless you are going to opt for GAS IT’s 4-hole type of bottle

http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/1-refillable-gas-bottles-gas-it.html#2

you might be better going for a Gaslow R67 canister (perhaps the “Direct Fill” version)

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Cylinders/Buy_Now

At least you’d then get an accurate and reliable gauge covering almost all of the gas-contents range.

Alibaba - 2016-09-29 11:23 AM

Hi Tony, thanks,

I did look at doing it that way too, but the 50mm inlet pipe will be much quicker anyway, I've just checked my parts bin and I may even have all I need to do the job already, there is no real pressure when filling as the filling hose isn't anywhere near the diameter of the 50mm hose, and the only real pressure would be when driving.

Kev.

I had a Starburst with the Truma/pump type fresh water filler, all i did was buy a Truma connector and put it on the end of a standard filler hose, just made sure that i didnt put water in at too high a pressure, worked fine for many years. We also carried a submersable pump so we could use an external water carrier if needed. Only used it a few times. We had an inboard tank,which we liked, and an Eberspacher heating/boiler system which we loved, much better than our present Truma Combi.

IMO Autocruise were very good innovative coachbuilt vans, shame that Swift killed them off.

Hi Derek,

I normally go for this 11kg kit, although the locker does look a bit tiny, so may have to go for the 2 x 6KG, the vans not here yet, being delivered 7 ish tonight.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/-gas-it-refillable-bottles/gas-it-11kg-refillable-gas-bottle-with-level-/-contents-gauge-price-includes-vat-p377-p381.html

I'd not go back to direct fill unless I needed it at home for a BBQ etc, besides some garages won't turn the pump on (or they turn it off) if they see you going in a locker, Morrisons have done it to some on another forum I'm on, anyway I prefer not to have to lug bottles about at my age, and the price isn't

much different really.

Just checked the heights 11kg = 550mm 6kg = 492 58mm might make the diff though.

I can not for the life of me think of any reason to do the modification.

The standard inlet can easily be filled by the "normal" method using a hose, ignoring the external pump "add-on".

The system used is as standard fitted to my previous Autocruise Sportstar & I NEVER encountered any problems filling the tank with a standard hose directly from the mains, in 3 years of ownership.

flicka - 2016-10-01 12:37 AM

I can not for the life of me think of any reason to do the modification...

How about if Kev (who wild-camps a lot) wants to top up his motorhome's fresh-water tank using the much-recommended watering-can method?

That’s not going to be practicable with the system his Wentworth has at present and, although it might be possible to put water into the tank by pouring it through its inspection/cleaning access ‘hatch’, that’s not a particularly attractive idea with plenty of opportunity for spillage.

I doubt if I’d bother to carry out the modification Kev’s considering, but anyone who has self-built a camper should be able to carry out the task successfully.

The standard inlet can easily be filled by the "normal" method using a hose, ignoring the external pump "add-on".

The system used is as standard fitted to my previous Autocruise Sportstar & I NEVER encountered any problems filling the tank with a standard hose directly from the mains, in 3 years of ownership.

Could you post a picture please of how you do it, as I'm not quite getting it.

I do use a watering can sometimes, with this van an easier top up method is paramount, 80 litres is pitiful for wild camping, last van was 125l, it did come with a 20l ?? container and pump so I may get one or two more then we're sorted for longer, yes it's 1kg per litre, but I carry more than that in my tum :-S :-S

Got a load of jobs to do right now, Bedroom is a mountain of junk right now and I'm sorting and binning, then it's decorating time, not my dept though (lol) (lol)

I did a very quick measure of the inside of the chassis rail yesterday, and it's about 20", but I need to open the locker lid, and place something in line parallel with the van wall so I can measure inside and out from a common point of reference to see if it's even feasible or not, if it is then, the mod is about as simple as it gets I think, I would even have a choice of which side of the van to fit it, (lol) (lol) I could be really flash and fit one each side, but that may be a bit OTT :D :D :-> :->

Alibaba, you buy a Truma Crystal 2 connector, and put it on the end of a standard filler hose (the same connector you have on your submersable pump hose). Then you do not have to alter the filler orifice at all.

The only thing you wil not be able to do , is fill with a watering can, i could never do that anyway, as i have a bad back. Just be careful not turn the water tap full on, as the internal connections may not stand the pressure, I would check and tighten them anyway. The connectors are available on ebay. Cost 9.99

Rayjsj - 2016-10-01 10:06 AM

Alibaba, you buy a Truma Crystal 2 connector, and put it on the end of a standard filler hose (the same connector you have on your submersable pump hose). Then you do not have to alter the filler orifice at all.

The only thing you wil not be able to do , is fill with a watering can, i could never do that anyway, as i have a bad back. Just be careful not turn the water tap full on, as the internal connections may not stand the pressure, I would check and tighten them anyway. The connectors are available on ebay. Cost 9.99

All I could see was this Ray, did you mean something else.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truma-Caravan-Pump-Connector-Crystal-2-40060-60800-Crystal-Water-Systems-/262637604026?hash=item3d266bccba:g:vuwAAOSwmLlX4~iQ

Just to be clear here, the Autosleeper Whale system is quite differant from the Truma Crystal 2 system fitted in Autocruise coachbuilts. Not had one, but from my understanding Whale put in pressure reducing gadgets that need removing ,IF you want to fill using a mains pressure hose( Tracker did this on his Executive) this is NOT the case with the Truma Crystal 2 system. All it needs is the end connector fitted on the end of a normal filling hose, i know this because I did it, and used it successfully until I traded the van in (hose connector went with the van). It was far cheaper than cutting into the bodywork to replace the filler connector.

HOWEVER, i agree with the general consensus, that power pump type of filler caps are totally unneccessary on motorhomes or campers, a simple (preferably lockable) cap to a wide bore pipe into the tank is all we need thanks, everything else is just a flaff.

Although for me, carrying water is out,(health problems) even in a watering can.In my present van if i need to top up without moving the van, i have a 240v/12v transformer, a spare submersable pump, and a 23litre Fiamma water carrier, which does the job perfectly without compromising anything.

Alibaba - 2016-10-01 10:20 AM

Rayjsj - 2016-10-01 10:06 AM

All I could see was this Ray, did you mean something else.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truma-Caravan-Pump-Connector-Crystal-2-40060-60800-Crystal-Water-Systems-/262637604026?hash=item3d266bccba:g:vuwAAOSwmLlX4~iQ

Yes, thats the one, but 20 pounds seems very expensive, i would look to get it cheaper, more like 10 pounds.

Leisure outlet has one for 9.99.

Thanks all :-D :-D I'll look elsewhere.

otherwise can anyone tell me the secret of getting the the latest post on this site, I get an email, click it and it takes me to page one of the thread, I then have to click last, and scroll down, which does seem a tad archaic compared to other MoHo sites I frequent.

Alibaba - 2016-10-01 9:51 AM

Could you post a picture please of how you do it, as I'm not quite getting it.

Sorry I no longer have the Autocruise. But if you are at a dealer anytime, the system is also used on many of the Autosleeper models.

I found the manual for the van in a cupboard, and it suggests using an Aquasource hose to fill form a tap, but this item on Ebay doesn't look right to me at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whale-Aquasource-caravan-motorhome-mains-water-hose-hook-up-pitch-adaptor-EM9401-/252567723893?hash=item3ace359f75:g:9C8AAOSwNRdX8hlD

Surely I don't need all that lot just to fill the tank from a tap.

I'm dragging my multi tool out today to cut a test hole before going any further, I'll report back later today.

Just noticed a 100mb limit on attachments, is that for real, which century are we in, that's big enough for a PDF or a text file, not a decent picture *-) *-)

Archived