3 years fulltime in a almost 30 year old camper......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I was going to wait until Horace was 30 to post ;-) .......

But then that would be 4 years full time and that would annoy my late onset undiagnosed OCD for neat numbers and repetitive syntax :D.........

So sitrep 8-) ........

Motorhome conversion by Autohomes in 1990

After 3 years Full timing current faults are a washer failure on the kitchen hot tap.......and a dodgy Zig unit charger switch temporally fixed with a bit gaffa tape........All hail the Gaffa Tape God B-) .......

Not convinced our new 4 year ago Dometec fridge will last very long :-S .........

Base vehicle

Ford Transit 2.5 diesel :D ..........

The cab seems to be holding up well after the "Professional" refurb done back in 2012 B-) ........

The only items of note are a self inflicted MOT failure due to a £1400 under body Waxoyle treatment 8-) .......

Cured by another 1400 undred quid spent on wheel spacers and sundry works *-) ........

Needless to say Horace's front nether regions are in fine fettle :D ........

Just thought I'd give anyone considering buying a very "old" camper a bit of info ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
aandy - 2019-05-14 5:20 PM

I`d be interested to know how waxoyling caused an mot failure.

Because I fitted MK 5 alloys to a MK 3 Transit ;-) ..........

They were tight on the front end due to the steering arms, but a bit of angle grinding to the bottom of the nuts ensured they cleared for the next 2 MOT's :-| .......

Then we went full time so I had Horace Waxoyled as he no longer had a garage to live in .......and a few mm of waxoyle was sufficient to leave a mark on the inside rim of the front wheel on full lock at the next MOT.......I asked the MOT bloke did the wheel rub?.......He said no >:-( ........

Nevertheless an immediate failure just before our holiday to Cornwall 8-) ............

Cured by me sourcing a MK 4 steel wheel and them fitting our spare MK 3 steel wheel both of which have different off sets....... yet still allowed Horace to pass his MOT because they didn't rub? *-) .........

All becomes clear. The only question remaining, is who charges £1400 for a waxoyl treatment :-D

I always like to see old vehicles being used, but Horace is a mere pup. One of my cars is 66 years old, and still in regular use.

Guest pelmetman
aandy - 2019-05-14 6:08 PM

All becomes clear. The only question remaining, is who charges £1400 for a waxoyl treatment :-D

I always like to see old vehicles being used, but Horace is a mere pup. One of my cars is 66 years old, and still in regular use.

I waxolyed my first "new" car in 1977 .......Now I'm happy to pay folk for that kinda thing :-> ........

Unfortunately we've moved down South and them's the prices apparently 8-) .......

Although "Waxoyle" appears to be a generic term for the stuff they use nowadays?.......

It's black in colour and stay's waxy like waxoyle yet had a German sounding name that I cant recall? :-S .......

pelmetman - 2019-05-14 7:10 PM

Although "Waxoyle" appears to be a generic term for the stuff they use nowadays?.......

The brand is actually Waxoyl. https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/waxoyl/

It's black in colour and stay's waxy like waxoyle yet had a German sounding name that I cant recall? :-S .......

Probably Ziebart. http://www.ziebartworld.com/our_services/structural_protection/rust_protection.php

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2019-05-14 7:20 PM

The brand is actually Waxoyl. https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/waxoyl/

Probably Ziebart. http://www.ziebartworld.com/our_services/structural_protection/rust_protection.php

Keith.

Nope neither of those.......although I wouldn't be surprised if it is the commercial version made by one or the other ;-) ........

Waxoyl`s main competitors are Dinitrol, which doesn't sound particularly German, and Bilt Hamber, which does, though I believe it is made in Essex. I use BH on my cars as it is supposed to last longer, but I suspect they are all much the same.

I have always resisted using Waxoyl type treatments as the underside of the vehicle seems to be covered in a sticky oil like treatment and I thought that dirt would stick to it and it would look a mess. Is this the case and can you pressure wash a Waxoyled vehicle to keep it looking clean? Also, it appears that the Waxoyl is applied over the top of any existing rust so does it not still continue to rust under the treatment?

The underside of my 5 year old van almost looks like new with a shiny underside to the floor. I check it every Sping and give the suspension parts etc a coat of Hammerite black and deal with the odd bit of surface rusting. Takes one day per year.

Archived