Totally and utterly p*ssed off !!!

steveandlisa

steveandlisa - 2019-05-29 10:33 PM

Well she`s back from the garage now,

Garage checked fault codes and they all pointed to an EGR fault. I mean what is really the point of fitting these things that can cause the engine to burn more fuel and oil when they go wrong and create more pollution in their doing so, and then take into consideration the expense, materials, power and pollution to actually make these things against what they actually save in exhaust emissions. Anyway my garage recommended a (Celtic Tuning EGR/Delete and remap) which was performed. Took about an hour cost £396 including labour and VAT.

Started her up, no dash warning lights and power feels fine, drove her home and all seems well again. Got another journey coming up in a few weeks so hopefully no more EGR problems.

Here`s the garage Invoice:

Carried out investigation to vehicle in limp mode, checked fault codes and found various codes for EGR. Carried out diagnostics tests and confirmed EGR fault. Carried out EGR fault code delete.

Re-Map EOBD

Carried out Re-Map.

I did agree to the Re-map, I think the EOBD stands for Engine On Board Diagnostic ?

Steve.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-06-01 8:38 AM

Its easier to fit a blanking plate like this because you can just loosen the joint and slide it in.

If you are lucky this won't bring on the emissions light (MOT Fail)

Is that why you've been inside for a while? ;-) ........

Just askin :D ...........

The first time I saw egr blanking plates on diesels was when I had a Pajero in the 90's. Old egr's were just a vacuum valve which opened a pipe between the outlet and inlet manifolds to recycle exhaust gases. Easily blanked off, and legal back then.

As technology developed they became electronic and on my Jaguar there were two, which were linked to the ecu, and monitored the soot building up. Of course they got clogged and went into limp mode when I was in the alps. But it still got back with a full load, although slow on hills.

Up until last May there was a steady trade in deleting egr's and dpf's, which, although illegal, weren't part of the MOT.

But it is now, so I guess that even if you have managed to get an altered vehicle through a test, you can't sell it without the next owner being in a position to take you to court for knowingly selling an unroadworthy vehicle.

(As someone with breathing problems due to growing up in an industrial blackspot, I appreciate moves to make our air less polluted)

steveandlisa - 2019-06-01 4:07 PM

...I did agree to the Re-map, I think the EOBD stands for Engine On Board Diagnostic ?

Steve.

OBD stands for “On-Board Diagnostics” and EOBD stands for "European On-Board Diagnostics”.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/articles/123

The results of a cursory GOOGLE-search with “EGR valve delete” as the search term

https://tinyurl.com/y4c996p8

will show that the contention that EGR-valve problems are confined to motorhomes driven by dithering duffers has no foundation and, when the issue is discussed on the Ford Transit Forum, it usually involves ‘white vans’ not ‘campers’. Although some vehicles appear to be more prone to EGR problems tha others, there seems to be no certain preventive action that can be taken.

This 2015 MHFun thread refers to a Ford-based motorhome problem

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ford-transit-egr-problems-or-is-it.120698/

and the 8 December 2015 posting by “Charlie” says

I have owned at least 30 Mk7 Transits. Had and still have them on the business fleet...

Some hardly suffer with EGRs. Yet some have had several. Only thing for us that spoils what is otherwise a very good van.

The vans that do short journeys tend to show the problem rather than those that do longer trips.

but the vehicles referred to there are all ‘white vans’.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-06-02 8:55 AM

will show that the contention that EGR-valve problems are confined to motorhomes driven by dithering duffers has no foundation and, when the issue is discussed on the Ford Transit Forum, it usually involves ‘white vans’ not ‘campers’. Although some vehicles appear to be more prone to EGR problems tha others

Well fair comment. All the whitevanmen I spoke to were probably long distance couriers, or otherwise foot-down drivers who regularly get enough power out of the engine to warm it up and keep the EGR valve working and thereby keep it freed up through regular usage.

• 4 weeks later...
steveandlisa - 2019-05-29 10:33 PM

Well she`s back from the garage now,

Garage checked fault codes and they all pointed to an EGR fault. I mean what is really the point of fitting these things that can cause the engine to burn more fuel and oil when they go wrong and create more pollution in their doing so, and then take into consideration the expense, materials, power and pollution to actually make these things against what they actually save in exhaust emissions. Anyway my garage recommended a (Celtic Tuning EGR/Delete and remap) which was performed. Took about an hour cost £396 including labour and VAT.

Started her up, no dash warning lights and power feels fine, drove her home and all seems well again. Got another journey coming up in a few weeks so hopefully no more EGR problems.

OK we`ve now done the aforesaid journey and the engine ran beautifully and so much more smoothly, especially when you bare in mind we were caught up in the Glastonbury Festival traffic on Monday on the A303 between Wylye and Stonehenge for over an hour stop/start. The thing is my wife first noticed a low whistling sound coming from the engine, my hearing is not brilliant and I couldn't detect anything at first, but on concentration I could just pick-up a slight whistle occasionally. I`m guessing this is just the turbo spooling up or possibly an air leak in the pipework.

Does anyone have any views on this one?

steve

D

I don't know about the whistle without hearing it but a lot of EGR problems can be put down to using cheaper oil than the recommended low ash that the manufacturer recommends, as well as only using the recommended low ash oil and changing it on a yearly basis or at around 10,000 miles, I also use BP Ultimate almost exclusively or some other super diesel if away from home.

I've never had a EGR problem and the mot gas readings are always exceptionally very low.

steveandlisa - 2019-07-06 11:56 PM

...I`m guessing this is just the turbo spooling up or possibly an air leak in the pipework.

Does anyone have any views on this one?

steve

It may have always whistled but, now that your wife will be aware that work on the motorhome has been done, she is more aware of the noises that the motor makes.

Ask Celtic Tuning if anything they did could be expected to cause this noise. It could be ‘normal’ (my Hobby’s Ford motor’s turbo used to whistle) or it could be a symptom of a problem.

Archived