Chlorinated Chicken....8pm tonight

Bulletguy

What we need is someone who has worked at a British poultry company to step forward with their experience's, well I guess that will be me then.

Anyone who objects to chlorinated chicken on a 'health' basis is sadly deluded, even the EU admits there is nothing wrong with it for the consumers, in fact until recent years it was used across the EU, one of the jobs I had at Ross Poultry was to take the chickens off the gutting line and put them in the chlorine washer.

Thankfully one think that has changed is the use of drugs to enhance the growth rates of poultry, we where heading down the wrong path there.

As for conditions across the poultry industry in the UK, it's pretty bad in my opinion. We have 'rescue' hens which come from a egg laying unit, the state they came in was shameful, they now have a happy healthy life, well as good as we can make it, if we hadn't had them they would have gone from there pitiful existence to pet food or maybe processed chicken, I would think most people if they had seen then would be put off for life.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colin - 2019-06-05 10:16 AM

What we need is someone who has worked at a British poultry company to step forward with their experience's, well I guess that will be me then.

Anyone who objects to chlorinated chicken on a 'health' basis is sadly deluded, even the EU admits there is nothing wrong with it for the consumers, in fact until recent years it was used across the EU, one of the jobs I had at Ross Poultry was to take the chickens off the gutting line and put them in the chlorine washer.

Thankfully one think that has changed is the use of drugs to enhance the growth rates of poultry, we where heading down the wrong path there.

As for conditions across the poultry industry in the UK, it's pretty bad in my opinion. We have 'rescue' hens which come from a egg laying unit, the state they came in was shameful, they now have a happy healthy life, well as good as we can make it, if we hadn't had them they would have gone from there pitiful existence to pet food or maybe processed chicken, I would think most people if they had seen then would be put off for life.

I wont argue with that as you clearly are an expert in that field but can you explain then why the rate for food poisoning from eating contaminated Chicken in the US (the same stuff they want to export here) is ten times what it is in the UK?

The evidence in the C4 Dispatches program seemed pretty condemning to me.

pelmetman - 2019-06-05 7:40 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-06-04 11:01 PM

Can you imagine the conversation. UK food standards agency "Errr. Mr Trump, Err very sorry but I am afraid your food does not meet our standards so you cannot export it here". Trump: "I think you will find that we can and will". UK Food standards agency: "Err, hmm. Giggle, err. Yep! That will be fine sir". 8-)

It depends whether the FSA is staffed by spineless establishment Remoaners >:-) .........

Ok then Dave so you will be fine with the UK telling mr Trump he can do one regarding exporting his sub standard food stuffs and getting his hands on our NHS?

When there is nothing else on the table but a trade deal with the US who do you think will be calling the shots?

Barryd999 - 2019-06-05 10:54 AM

I wont argue with that as you clearly are an expert in that field but can you explain then why the rate for food poisoning from eating contaminated Chicken in the US (the same stuff they want to export here) is ten times what it is in the UK?

I didn't see the program, so can't comment on their evidence. I will repeat that the EU says chlorinated chicken is not a.problem for the consumer.

colin - 2019-06-05 11:49 AM

I didn't see the program, so can't comment on their evidence. I will repeat that the EU says chlorinated chicken is not a.problem for the consumer.

But it has been banned in the EU since 1997. From what I can gather the issue is not so much with the chlorination procedure but the resulting lack of hygiene standards as a result of relying on it. If you watch the program that really shows that the EU were absolutely right to have concerns and introduce legislation, its disgraceful. I would be interested in your comments should you watch it.

Guest pelmetman

Evidence????? .........Scaremongering from a Remoaner biased EU funded propaganda puppet *-) ........

Barryd999 - 2019-06-05 12:32 PM

But it has been banned in the EU since 1997. From what I can gather the issue is not so much with the chlorination procedure but the resulting lack of hygiene standards as a result of relying on it. If you watch the program that really shows that the EU were absolutely right to have concerns and introduce legislation, its disgraceful. I would be interested in your comments should you watch it.

It was never about hygiene for the consumer, but whole industry hygiene, which is no bad thing for workers.

colin - 2019-06-05 1:48 PM

It was never about hygiene for the consumer, but whole industry hygiene, which is no bad thing for workers.

Your not telling Barry what Barry wants to hear ... His organ grinder will be along shortly to put you right ... Barry gets all his info from Channel 4 documentaries wether its Muslims , POTUS Trump , chlorinated chicken , Brexit , Farage , Arron Banks etc etc ... He has the cheek to endlessly put down Daily Mail readers n'all ... You couldn't make it up , well unless your Channel 4 of course ... Regards Mr Birdbrain

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-06-05 1:59 PM

Your not telling Barry what Barry wants to hear ... His organ grinder will be along shortly to put you right ... Barry gets all his info from Channel 4 documentaries wether its Muslims , POTUS Trump , chlorinated chicken , Brexit , Farage , Arron Banks etc etc ... He has the cheek to endlessly put down Daily Mail readers n'all ... You couldn't make it up , well unless your Channel 4 of course ... Regards Mr Birdbrain

Cant say I'm bothered if my chicken is chlorinated ;-) ........

It didn't do us any harm swimming in the stuff at the local lido :D .........

Barry and Co obviously prefer a bit of faeces in their diet 8-) ........

Prolly explains why they spout so much bullsh*t >:-) ........

Bit rich coming from you. All we have ever had from you and Bracket is quotes from the Daily Fail or the Brexpress. I Research my information from a wide range of sources to try and get to the truth. Colin is an expert so I am prepared to listen to him.

The facts remain that the USA's standards on food hygiene, animal welfare and a whole host of other stuff is way below that of the UK. and Europe. It is also a fact that you are ten times more likely to end up seriously ill in the USA due to their lower standards. There is plenty of evidence of that. Therefore the UK really has a choice. It can be closely aligned to or a member of the EU or it can be the 51st state of America and in Trumps pocket but it cannot do both. That I think needs spelling out to the electorate before they cut the ties completely from the superior standards we enjoy now and lets not forget that everything is on the table in a trade deal with the US as the President said yesterday and backed up by Woody Johnson on Sunday on Marr.

I am sure you will be delighted at that prospect but I expect once or should I say if the public are made more aware of the facts they may start to think differently.

Barryd999 - 2019-06-05 2:08 PM

Bit rich coming from you. All we have ever had from you and Bracket is quotes from the Daily Fail or the Brexpress. I Research my information from a wide range of sources to try and get to the truth. Colin is an expert so I am prepared to listen to him.

The facts remain that the USA's standards on food hygiene, animal welfare and a whole host of other stuff is way below that of the UK. and Europe. It is also a fact that you are ten times more likely to end up seriously ill in the USA due to their lower standards. There is plenty of evidence of that. Therefore the UK really has a choice. It can be closely aligned to or a member of the EU or it can be the 51st state of America and in Trumps pocket but it cannot do both. That I think needs spelling out to the electorate before they cut the ties completely from the superior standards we enjoy now and lets not forget that everything is on the table in a trade deal with the US as the President said yesterday and backed up by Woody Johnson on Sunday on Marr.

I am sure you will be delighted at that prospect but I expect once or should I say if the public are made more aware of the facts they may start to think differently.

No Barry you research your "information from a wide range of sources" that suit what you want to be told ... You obviously didn't research too much other than your usual Channel 4 documentary the chlorinated chicken thingy ... Youve ended up getting stuffed aint ya

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-06-05 2:08 PM

Correct we have a choice where we can chose to make our own decisions B-) ........

Or Kowtow to our EU masters *-) .........

You may have your white flag ready Barry No Guts *-) .........

My Mystic Gut says we'll be fine B-) .......

Can you imagine the conversation. UK food standards agency "Errr. Mr Trump, Err very sorry but I am afraid your food does not meet our standards so you cannot export it here". Trump: "I think you will find that we can and will". UK Food standards agency: "Err, hmm. Giggle, err. Yep! That will be fine sir". 8-)

It depends whether the FSA is staffed by spineless establishment Remoaners >:-) .........

"Remoaner" is so yesterday it's about time you moved on but you're stuck in your "we won" timewarp. *-)

It matters not a jot what political persuasion the FSA is staffed by at all because Trump isn't interested in regulations....just grabbing whatever he can for US which is why he's hell bent on splitting us from the EU which he see's as a threat to US business. He doesn't do power sharing. Remind me again....has he at any time ever said "UK first"? No. With him it's "America first...America first".

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-05 2:25 PM

"Remoaner" is so yesterday it's about time you moved on but you're stuck in your "we won" timewarp. *-)

It matters not a jot what political persuasion the FSA is staffed by at all because Trump isn't interested in regulations....just grabbing whatever he can for US which is why he's hell bent on splitting us from the EU which he see's as a threat to US business. He doesn't do power sharing. Remind me again....has he at any time ever said "UK first"? No. With him it's "America first...America first".

So it doesn't matter that the Electoral Commission is stuffed to the gunnels with Remoaners and decided to investigate The Brexit Party finances just a couple of days before the EU vote? *-) ........

Your REMOANER hypocrisy is staggering 8-) ........

What we need is someone who has worked at a British poultry company to step forward with their experience's, well I guess that will be me then. Anyone who objects to chlorinated chicken on a 'health' basis is sadly deluded.

So Ron Spellman and Dr Callum Highmore are 'deluded' in your opinion?

pelmetman - 2019-06-05 2:32 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-06-05 2:25 PM

So it doesn't matter that the Electoral Commission is stuffed to the gunnels with Remoaners and decided to investigate The Brexit Party finances just a couple of days before the EU vote? *-) ........

Your REMOANER hypocrisy is staggering 8-) ........

What on earth are you rattling about now???

This is about chlorinated chicken.....NOT your silly Brexit 'party'. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-05 2:34 PM

What we need is someone who has worked at a British poultry company to step forward with their experience's, well I guess that will be me then. Anyone who objects to chlorinated chicken on a 'health' basis is sadly deluded.

You mean this Ron Spellman?........"Revealed: the dirty secret of the UK’s poultry industry"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/-sp-revealed-dirty-secret-uk-poultry-industry-chicken-campylobacter

I bet he's a Veggie >:-) .........

Seems to me ......a hint of chlorine in my chicken is preferable to campylobactor 8-) .......

Just sayin :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-06-05 2:42 PM

You mean this Ron Spellman?........"Revealed: the dirty secret of the UK’s poultry industry"

So finally you managed to get back on topic instead of waffling about your stupid Brexit party and going off on some tangent to deflect. *-)

Have you actually listened to what Mr Spellman and Dr Highmore said regards the thread topic about chlorinated chicken? When you have.....come back to the thread and let us know.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-05 5:57 PM

So finally you managed to get back on topic instead of waffling about your stupid Brexit party and going off on some tangent to deflect. *-)

Have you actually listened to what Mr Spellman and Dr Highmore said regards the thread topic about chlorinated chicken? When you have.....come back to the thread and let us know.

Don't need to .......I've spent 12 years opposite a beef farm which was next door to a dairy farm who also factory farmed chickens ;-) ........

I've also drowned baby rats I found in my compost heap and stabbed the mother with my fork........does that make me a bad person? :-| ........

pelmetman - 2019-06-05 6:13 PM

Don't need to .......I've spent 12 years opposite a beef farm which was next door to a dairy farm who also factory farmed chickens ;-) ........

I've also drowned baby rats I found in my compost heap and stabbed the mother with my fork........does that make me a bad person? :-| ........

The haters make me laugh ... I work regular for a fella who was my town and beyonds biggest poultry supplier until he caught a life threatening illness from his income a few years ago which forced him to retire ... The stories he tells me about the welfare of our so much better looked after chickens than the US would make you puke ... Trouble is with the haters is its like the Irish border or Grenfell they really dont care about any of them its just in their book another bullet ... You see what I did there

Don't need to .......

In order to make a lucid and informed view of the thread topic about chlorinated chicken you do. So far you've just sought to disrupt, deflect and waffle utter garbage and basically make yourself look extremely foolish....which comes naturally to you. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-06-05 6:21 PM

The haters make me laugh ... I work regular for a fella who was my town and beyonds biggest poultry supplier until he caught a life threatening illness from his income a few years ago which forced him to retire ... The stories he tells me about the welfare of our so much better looked after chickens than the US would make you puke ... Trouble is with the haters is its like the Irish border or Grenfell they really dont care about any of them its just in their book another bullet ... You see what I did there

Some of my early exotic work was done for a family who killed chickens for the Kosher trade ;-) ........

At the time my Missus and I were protesting about live exports from Brightlingsea 8-) .......

Does that make me a hypocrite?........No because it was about animal welfare :-| ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-05 6:30 PM

Don't need to .......

In order to make a lucid and informed view of the thread topic about chlorinated chicken you do. So far you've just sought to disrupt, deflect and waffle utter garbage and basically make yourself look extremely foolish....which comes naturally to you. *-)

The slaughter of chickens is not very pretty ........whether chlorine is a good idea or not is a moot point.......have to say in the small holding like we had next door ;-) .........prolly not........in a factory where they process millions of chickens then I'm kinda thinking back to when I used to piss in the swimming pool >:-) ........

Couple of points, I don't pretend to be an expert on this subject, but many years ago I did work in the industry.

I've also worked on 'factual' programs which have appeared on C4 and know their M.O.

I've no particular fondness to watch the program but might find time too do so in next couple of days,

looks like I might not get around to watching the program, but will make some observations of what I believe will have been in it.

I'm guessing the contamination was all about Salmonella as this is at a much higher rate in US than UK, but that is just one part of the problem, other problems tend to be less in US than UK due to them using chlorine washes, only today we learn of 3 deaths in UK due to Listeria in chicken, something almost unheard of in US chicken, in general there is little difference in infection rates in chicken meat in the two countries.

As for the program finding unsafe practices, doesn't surprise me in the least, but then I bet they would find similar problems in the UK, in fact the very same team have found illegal practises in the poultry industry in the UK.

Archived