Chlorinated Chicken....8pm tonight

Bulletguy

colin - 2019-06-07 7:48 PM

looks like I might not get around to watching the program, but will make some observations of what I believe will have been in it.

I'm guessing the contamination was all about Salmonella as this is at a much higher rate in US than UK,

No it was actually about much more than just food poisoning Colin and it's a pity you can't afford 30 minutes to view, so in the same way as Pelmet you're reduced to commenting on what you assume may or may not have been discussed or shown. Bottom line being you're left basing your pov on little other than pure conjecture.

The US agricultural lobby is extremely powerful.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2019-06-07 8:09 PM

looks like I might not get around to watching the program, but will make some observations of what I believe will have been in it.

I'm guessing the contamination was all about Salmonella as this is at a much higher rate in US than UK,

No it was actually about much more than just food poisoning Colin and it's a pity you can't afford 30 minutes to view, so in the same way as Pelmet you're reduced to commenting on what you assume may or may not have been discussed or shown. Bottom line being you're left basing your pov on little other than pure conjecture.

As I posted, I'm guessing they found other unsafe practices, but I would point out that in UK some contamination is much higher than US, and that's all down to us not using chlorine washes, did the program explain that? Also did it explain that the most serious contamination is Listeria which we get occasionally in UK chicken but is almost unheard of in US chicken and AFAIK they have never had a Listeria outbreak due to Listeria in chicken,

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2019-06-07 8:26 PM

As I posted, I'm guessing they found other unsafe practices, but I would point out that in UK some contamination is much higher than US, and that's all down to us not using chlorine washes, did the program explain that? Also did it explain that the most serious contamination is Listeria which we get occasionally in UK chicken but is almost unheard of in US chicken and AFAIK they have never had a Listeria outbreak due to Listeria in chicken,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7116353/Three-hospital-patients-die-outbreak-listeria-linked-pre-packed-sandwiches.html

Beginning to think Trump chicken would be preferable to UK chicken 8-) .........

Guessing isn't enough though is it Colin? It's comparable to me commenting on a football match, none of which i ever watch. They spoke to highly qualified professionals (oh of course....what do they know eh?) as well as a senior official from the OSHA (US equivalent of our HSE) who was in despair over their atrocious record. Another American, Dr Wright, summed everything up and was bang on the button but as i said, the US Agr lobby is extremely powerful.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-07 8:42 PM

Guessing isn't enough though is it Colin? It's comparable to me commenting on a football match, none of which i ever watch. They spoke to highly qualified professionals (oh of course....what do they know eh?) as well as a senior official from the OSHA (US equivalent of our HSE) who was in despair over their atrocious record. Another American, Dr Wright, summed everything up and was bang on the button but as i said, the US Agr lobby is extremely powerful.

Judging by the latest news of deaths from listeria infected UK chicken, we need to get our own house in order before we criticize others :-| .........

pelmetman - 2019-06-07 8:48 PM

Judging by the latest news of deaths from listeria infected UK chicken, we need to get our own house in order before we criticize others :-| .........

Three people. If you think that's bad, which every death is.....then i can see why you refused to view that linked report which is the subject of THIS thread topic as it wouldn't suit your narrative.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-07 9:07 PM

pelmetman - 2019-06-07 8:48 PM

Three people. If you think that's bad, which every death is.....then i can see why you refused to view that linked report which is the subject of THIS thread topic as it wouldn't suit your narrative.

Just as the fact that infected UK poultry doesn't suit yours :D .........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-07 9:51 PM

pelmetman - 2019-06-07 9:12 PM

Just as the fact that infected UK poultry doesn't suit yours :D .........

So start your own thread on it instead of disrupting this one.

Why? ;-) ........

Has any US infected chicken entered our food chain?.........Nope *-) ........

Has infected British chicken resulted in the deaths of 3 people?.........Yes :-| ........

Kinda shows what hypocrites you Remoaners are >:-) ........

• 1 month later...

Well I got around to watching the program, as I suspected it was a pretty poor bit of 'journalism', in fact I would say it was even worse than I had expected, around the same level as the Daily Fail.

A little background info on me might not go amiss, although I'm a aircraft engineer, many years ago I worked for a short while in a chicken processing factory, we keep 'rescued' chickens, I've also worked on C4 factual programs, and just today I spent several hours making sure our paperwork was up to date for a DEFRA inspection we are expect this week.

The program makers decided to investigate what they think is the worst of the big US processing plants, that's ok as long as we compare it to one of the worse UK plants as in the Guardian report.

The program only showed one small part of the process, hardly a in depth investigation.

What was shown was not best practice, but it was still much better than the UK plant which took the chicken which had fallen onto floor and put it back into production.

Then we have the 'experts' view on what he saw in film, funny enough the comments he made where very similar to those he made about the UK plant.

Then we are told that the industry has too much influence over the inspectors, exactly the same criticism is made in the UK.

The reporter made a 'throw away' comment that people in US die from Salmonella which they don't in UK, there are two problems with this comment, firstly there is no evidence given that this is due to chicken from these big plants, but even worse it totally ignores the fact that around 8000 people a year in UK contract salmonella. But that is only part of the story, in the UK we have salmonella in chicken pretty much under control compared to US, but there are other bacteria in chicken which are just as deadly as salmonella which are much more prevalent in UK than US, overall the amounts of bacteria are not much different, and they are in both cases much lower than those on chicken which we happily import from Brazil.

I think that just leaves workers conditions, it would not surprise me in the least if the program was correct about how bad this was in US, workers rights over there are not good, I would guess that they are a little better in UK, but I know UK food processing companies who have pretty much forced brittish workers out to replace them with EU workers who they find easier to exploit, and yes I have seen a UK worker slice two of his fingers off on a bandsaw whilst cutting up chicken carcasses.

FunsterJohn - 2019-07-22 11:35 PM

The big mistake was in telling the leftie nutters that chlorinated chicken comes from the USA. If it came from Russia or Iran they'd be mounting a huge defence of it and telling us how important chlorination is in stopping nasty infections.

After what must have been a hell raising fun evening with an accountant you decide to come on here and label anyone who objects to chlorinated chicken as being "leftie nutters". The bitterness is strong in this one!

I dont know any leftie nutters but I do know a lot of people who object to having chlorinated chicken in the UK and a post brexit bonfire of regulations, workers rights and standards your pish poor act of self harm will deliver.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-07-23 8:55 AM

The big mistake was in telling the leftie nutters that chlorinated chicken comes from the USA. If it came from Russia or Iran they'd be mounting a huge defence of it and telling us how important chlorination is in stopping nasty infections.

After what must have been a hell raising fun evening with an accountant you decide to come on here and label anyone who objects to chlorinated chicken as being "leftie nutters". The bitterness is strong in this one!

I dont know any leftie nutters but I do know a lot of people who object to having chlorinated chicken in the UK and a post brexit bonfire of regulations, workers rights and standards your pish poor act of self harm will deliver.

More desperate scaremongering *-) ...........

The UK is world leaders in setting food and farming standards B-) .......

NOT because of the EU but in spite of it >:-) .........

It was folk like me and my Mrs who got their shins kicked by the Rozzers that helped improve the "EU" live transport of animal rules :D .......

Barryd999 - 2019-07-23 9:55 AM

Next time I make a joke about going out with my accountant in order to find the best EU tax haven to put my millions, or any joke for that matter, I'll preface it with a warning: 'Barry999, this is a joke'.

I've not even got a flipping accountant!

You should also learn to spot when I'm enjoying winding up a few remoaner lefties. It's true though. If we were importing chlorinated chicken from Russia or Iran there's a couple on here who'd be mounting a strong defence of it. But of course it's from the hated USA so enough said.

This sentence sums up you and other remoaners perfectly by the way: 'a post brexit bonfire of regulations, workers rights and standards.' Utter, utter scaremongering nonsense.' I'm only amazed that you didn't manage to slip in the other fallacy cobbled together from a load of lies and half-truths, that we're going to privatise the NHS and sell it to the hated Yanks'.

Guest pelmetman
FunsterJohn - 2019-07-23 9:28 AM

You should also learn to spot when I'm enjoying winding up a few remoaner lefties. It's true though. If we were importing chlorinated chicken from Russia or Iran there's a couple on here who'd be mounting a strong defence of it. But of course it's from the hated USA so enough said.

They'll change their tune if the Democrats get in *-) ..........

The Remoaners two faced hypocrisy is really quite staggering 8-) .........

Barryd999 - 2019-07-23 8:55 AM

It's an odd thing, for the best in food and worker safety we would be better off having chicken under EU regulations which then was chlorinated, but the way the media has presented it not many understand that.

As for workers rights, like many of my socioeconomic group EU workers regulation hasn't had a great impact, and lets face it the UK government has only halfway implemented a lot of it, but those of a lower socioeconomic group who you would think would be happier with EU workers rights, overwhelmingly voted out, IMO there's a very good reason for that, they have seen many EU workers come to UK and go into low paid work, which has reduced their chances of getting work, then in some industries the over supply of workers has seen a lowering of wages and conditions.

There have been assurances from the government that there will not be a reduction in standards from everything from the environment to workers, rights, etc, etc but of course none of it is binding. Its just sound. You would have to be Brexit blind not to be able to see how it will go. Of course if you want to become a minnow partner with the US instead of an equal and strong partner with the EU 27 (you cant have both) its inevitable that this will lead to a decline in standards as you wont be taking back control at all, you will be at the mercy of what your new boss (Donald Trump) says you will do. Its already happening.

As for funny foreigners taking our jobs etc, there is very little evidence that this is true. Perhaps in some areas in low skilled work but its pretty clear that overall its just not the case.

Its just the same old s**te from the Brexiteers time and time again, they have learned nothing in three years and its pointless discussing it. The only way you will find out you were wrong is for your no deal clusterfeck to go ahead.

Barryd999 - 2019-07-23 11:18 AM

There have been assurances from the government that there will not be a reduction in standards from everything from the environment to workers, rights, etc, etc but of course none of it is binding. Its just sound. You would have to be Brexit blind not to be able to see how it will go. Of course if you want to become a minnow partner with the US instead of an equal and strong partner with the EU 27 (you cant have both) its inevitable that this will lead to a decline in standards as you wont be taking back control at all, you will be at the mercy of what your new boss (Donald Trump) says you will do. Its already happening.

As for funny foreigners taking our jobs etc, there is very little evidence that this is true. Perhaps in some areas in low skilled work but its pretty clear that overall its just not the case.

Its just the same old s**te from the Brexiteers time and time again, they have learned nothing in three years and its pointless discussing it. The only way you will find out you were wrong is for your no deal clusterfeck to go ahead.

It's the default excuse......them foreigners have "stolen" "our" jobs. I see it all the time from the xenophobes on forums but one of the best posts i remember was this;

"well they've done a bloody good job of "stealing" my nephews job as the bone idle b*stard has never done a days work since leaving school 12 years ago and admits he has no intention of getting a job"

Bulletguy - 2019-07-23 12:40 PM

It's the default excuse......them foreigners have "stolen" "our" jobs. I see it all the time from the xenophobes on forums ...

Firstly, I am hardly likely to be termed a xenophobe, I also believe Brexit is not in both mine or the countries best interest, whilst I think the EU is far from perfect, I believe it's generally a good thing.

Many low paid workers have lost their jobs due to 'cheap' labour from eastern europe, and these have been the ones who have overwhelmingly backed Brexit. At a local food processing plant the 'new' boss has made life as uncomfortable as possible for British workers, such that there's only office staff left, he is not interested in line workers who 'only' want to work a 50 or 60 hour 6 day week and expect to get paid overtime, he wants people who will work 10 or 12 hour days 7 days a week for minimum wage on a zero hour contract, the workers rights at the place have been shot to hell, how do you think they voted on Brexit? I can tell you that all the ones I'm still in contact with voted out.

Here's a story in the Mirror about jobs being advertised in Poland before they where in UK. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/next-christmas-jobs-offered-polish-4709994

There are plenty of other stories about this type of thing going on back then, for some reason in the North East it was rife at one time, guess which region overwhelmingly voted out.

Another rather amusing story was my late mothers careers. There is a shortage of careers around here, and we where struggling to get the service my mother needed, we where directed by social services to a 'new' company. The careers where predominantly Rumanian, and they where some of the best careers I've come across, they would often 'bend' the rules a bit. Anyway turns out the 'new' company was actually a offshoot of an existing agency and the boss's had decided they could take advantage by employing careers from eastern Europe at minimum wage and worse employment conditions and not have to pay fees to the original agency, a win win situation for them, that was until the more astute of the careers had learned the ropes and set up their own care company. A case of british boss's attempting to exploit eastern European workers but it going spectacularly wrong.

colin - 2019-07-23 3:49 PM

It's the default excuse......them foreigners have "stolen" "our" jobs. I see it all the time from the xenophobes on forums ...

Firstly, I am hardly likely to be termed a xenophobe, I also believe Brexit is not in both mine or the countries best interest, whilst I think the EU is far from perfect, I believe it's generally a good thing.

Many low paid workers have lost their jobs due to 'cheap' labour from eastern europe, and these have been the ones who have overwhelmingly backed Brexit. At a local food processing plant the 'new' boss has made life as uncomfortable as possible for British workers, such that there's only office staff left, he is not interested in line workers who 'only' want to work a 50 or 60 hour 6 day week and expect to get paid overtime, he wants people who will work 10 or 12 hour days 7 days a week for minimum wage on a zero hour contract, the workers rights at the place have been shot to hell, how do you think they voted on Brexit? I can tell you that all the ones I'm still in contact with voted out.

I actually agree with much of what you say Colin as i've been very vocal and outspoken about zero hours and agency work etc, not only on here but also when i was working. I'd much prefer to see properly contracted employment where both employer and employee has rights but my views on UK employment figures incurs the wrath of angry Brexiters.

We have a legal minimum wage which admittedly isn't much https://www.expatica.com/uk/employment/employment-law/a-guide-to-minimum-wage-in-the-uk-982318/ but at least holds employers to account.

As for hours we've got that enshrined in law, courtesy of EU, by way of the WTD giving a max of 48hrs a week https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours........but Brexit wants to scrap that http://theconversation.com/tory-attack-on-working-time-directive-signals-a-post-brexit-race-to-the-bottom-89395 I wonder what will happen to those employees if Brexit succeeds in getting rid of the WTD?

Bulletguy - 2019-07-23 4:42 PM

As for hours we've got that enshrined in law, courtesy of EU, by way of the WTD giving a max of 48hrs a week https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours........but Brexit wants to scrap that http://theconversation.com/tory-attack-on-working-time-directive-signals-a-post-brexit-race-to-the-bottom-89395 I wonder what will happen to those employees if Brexit succeeds in getting rid of the WTD?

The 48hr working week is totally meaningless when you can opt out.

Opting out of the 48 hour week

You can choose to work more than 48 hours a week on average if you’re over 18. This is called ‘opting out’.

Your employer can ask you to opt out, but you can’t be sacked or treated unfairly for refusing to do so.

You can opt out for a certain period or indefinitely. It must be voluntary and in writing.

colin - 2019-07-23 4:58 PM

You can choose to work more than 48 hours a week on average if you’re over 18. This is called ‘opting out’.

Your employer can ask you to opt out, but you can’t be sacked or treated unfairly for refusing to do so.

You can opt out for a certain period or indefinitely. It must be voluntary and in writing.

Yes i know.....though i'd sooner it was there than not at all and does beg the question why pro-Brexit politicians and the right wing want it scrapped. It's certainly not to benefit the employee.

It's the default excuse......them foreigners have "stolen" "our" jobs. I see it all the time from the xenophobes on forums but one of the best posts i remember was this;

"well they've done a bloody good job of "stealing" my nephews job as the bone idle b*stard has never done a days work since leaving school 12 years ago and admits he has no intention of getting a job"

Pass him the tissues ... "xenophobes" ... He always gets off on that one ... Not seen it for a while though ... Well done though Princess

Bulletguy - 2019-07-23 5:11 PM

Yes i know.....though i'd sooner it was there than not at all and does beg the question why pro-Brexit politicians and the right wing want it scrapped. It's certainly not to benefit the employee.

*-)

Many employers wanted it scrapped long before Brexit. Not to exploit workers but to keep costs down. The workers in continuous process industries didn't want it either. It affected their earnings and screwed up their time off.

And before you go gobbing off on one again, I worked in these sort of industries and know the effects of it. Bullet makers just turned the machines off on a Friday afternoon.

*-)

747 - 2019-07-23 8:34 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-07-23 5:11 PM

*-)

Many employers wanted it scrapped long before Brexit. Not to exploit workers but to keep costs down.

In other words....lower overtime rates.

The workers in continuous process industries didn't want it either. It affected their earnings and screwed up their time off.

Only if their overtime rate scale was reduced. But a continuous process can be covered with the right number of employees.

And before you go gobbing off on one again, I worked in these sort of industries and know the effects of it. Bullet makers just turned the machines off on a Friday afternoon.

*-)

You're showing your ignorance of an industry you know sod all about if you believe machines got turned off on a Friday afternoon. Some sections ran 24/7 over three shifts.

Archived