5-meter van conversion recommendations

Shortyvan

Hi all... my first post so go easy. ;)

My wife and I are looking to get a van conversion camper to replace our existing car. However, it's a bit complex:

- We have a 5m drive, so can't have anything longer than that. I've measured, and even a 5.4m would not fit without overhanging the pavement and getting in peoples' way. We currently have an Audi A6 estate which we can just fit with a few inches to spare.

- My wife is disabled (vibrations = pain) and so we need something with the best ride quality possible.

- We're not planning to do huge trips across europe - probably mostly over-nighters, weekends away and also having a base to make tea and cook food on a day trip.

- It'll be our only vehicle so needs to be something practical as an everyday car replacement.

Currently looking at:

- Wildax Pulsar HT: this appears to be the favourite so far based on the spec and layout etc.

- Auto-sleeper Symbol: Close second, seems well-specc'd and well laid out

- Adria Twin 500S: Close third, looks excellent. Seems like they're no longer sold new now though - the shortest model is the 600S?

- Murvi Pimento: not sure if the layout would work for us, but it looks interesting

Are there any other models or makes we should look at? We're ideally looking to get something 2nd-hand, but if we couldn't find one (they seem thin on the ground) or there was something super-special new, we'd consider stretching.

Lots of the vans seem to concentrate on having 4 seats around a table and squeezing a bed in somewhere, but we're more interested in a single-bed/sofa arrangement that can be extended into a double for us both to sleep on.

Also, odd legal question - my wife finds sitting up painful due to her disability, so we're wondering whether she can lie on the bed as we travel, but not sure of the legal position on this. Anyone know? I've contacted the DVSA, but not sure how long it'll take to get a response....

The Vectra Cavarno 2 is similar to the Wildax.

http://www.vectra-motorhomes.co.uk/motorhome_range.html

We bought one when they were made on new vehicles, for the same length reason. Although they are a bit cramped at bed-time we appreciate the fact that you can go anywhere and park anywhere that a car can. I use it quite a lot instead of the car if I want to carry anything bulky or long and it is an excellent day van.

I considered the same issue of traveling while lying on the bed for another family member but decided against. There is guidance here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/medical-exemptions-from-compulsory-seat-belt-wearing/medical-exemption-from-compulsory-seat-belt-wearing-guidance-for-medical-practitioners.

I don't pretend to be a legal expert, but for newer vans there are designated travel seats with seat belts, and AFAIK you can only travel in these, there may however be a way around this for medical reasons, but that I don't know.

The following 5m-long--maximum panel-van conversions were listed in a French motorhome magazine

Adria Active

Campereve Compact Cap Coast

Elios VarioCamp

Font Vendome Escapade Autocamp

Glenan Concept Cars Horizon Van 4 and Van 5

Hanroad Trek (5 models)

Hymercar Premium Sydney (4 models)

Lando Darwin & Adelaide (2 versions of each)

MCC (6 models)

Stylevan (4 models)

Westfalia Club Joker City

(Obviously the French list won’t include UK-built campers, and some of the makes won’t be officially imported to the UK.)

General seat-belt guidance is here

https://www.gov.uk/seat-belts-law/when-you-dont-need-to-wear-a-seat-belt

I have the same 5 meter issue on my drive. I have a swb Citroen Relay conversion which a local conversion company did for me. I also have an idiot across the road from me who insists on parking one of his 5 cars opposite my drive making reversing out a big van really difficult. That's why I sold my lwb ducato.

However if I had the funds and the ability to spend more I think the Adria twin500s would be my choice. Great van.

The East Neuk Fifer Touring is also a good 5 meter van. It's won many awards.

Also a bit longer but we'll worth a look is the Concorde Compact. Fantastic drop down bed and incredible use of space.

I think if you have the money I would steer clear of having a bare panel van converted for you. You get very little for your money.

I would definitely stress the importance of a van with a flushing toilet. It's a must.. Even in a small van.

Wow - thanks for all the responses! Will try and cover all of them...

- Dalbury and Campster: look nice but too small. We want something with a shower and a bit more room.

- Caverno 2: Looks a definite candidate, so will read up on this one. Thanks and also thanks for the link re: lying down, Muswell!

- Denby conversions etc: I have considered a custom conversion, but from what I've read I'm not convinced we'll get as good and well-built design as the big players (who clearly invest R&D in the design and recoup that by selling the model for years) - at least not without spending a lot of money and investing in the design process, which is more time than I'm willing to commit.

- Adria active looks great, but a bit too small and no shower.

- Derek's epic list: thanks, lots to look through here, will google them! Thanks for the seat-belt link too. One of the things I'm looking at is what belt options there might be to strap in while lying down, but we'll see what the DVSA say.

- TrialsRider: Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I looked at the East Neuk models, but they don't seem to compete well on spec and price with Wildax or Auto-sleepers, and I'm not so sure about the layout. But it's on the shortlist.

So far I think the Auto-Sleeper may have slipped into the favourite spot, on account of the air-suspension, twin leaf (so hopefully more comfy/smooth ride) and the fact that there's a broader second-hand market - there's at least some to look at, whereas Used Wildax are rarer than hen's teeth.

Will try and test-drive some at the weekend! Thanks all!

Might I suggest that in view of your comments regarding your wife's intolerance of vibration, and the use you propose for the van, a VW Transporter based conversion might be preferable to the SEVEL alternatives. I'm assuming it is still the case that the Transporter has a superior ride to the SEVEL vans: many have commented in the past that the rids is "car like".

There are several converters in UK and elsewhere in Europe who produce what are called day vans, aimed more at days out with cooking facilities rather than extended tours. For example, have a look at Bilbos conversions (UK, Sussex), or at something of a premium, Westphalia conversions (German). However, there are a number of others, some of which will convert vans you take to them.

As a start have a word with Bilbos, as they have been converting Transporters for many years, and would be able to give good advice on the type of underpinnings (in VW terms) that would best suit your needs.

Hi Shortyvan

Your wife's condition begs the question if she qualifies for the mobility allowance & Blue Badge.

If so, I would advise talking to some of the converter's (Wildax comes to mind) to discuss the possibilities of a bespoke adaptation to accomodate her needs.

It would be much cheaper to modify during build, than retrospectively. Also if your wife is in receipt of the above, check with the converters regarding the VAT exemption position. (this is not always available on Used vehicles & subsequent modifications.

A similar question was asked in 2015 here

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=12&TopicID=331858

The Ford-based Devon “Firefly” model was mentioned and (in the short-wheelbase version) has a length of just under 5 metres.

http://devonconversions.co.uk/new-motorhomes/ford-firefly-5/

The Firefly (2016 review here)

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/devon-firefly/909169

has a ‘proper’ Thetford cassette toilet, but no showering facilities.

Transit Custom, VW Transporter and Mercedes Vito base-vehicles are significantly smaller than the Boxer/Ducato/Relay and it’s hard enough to shoehorn a fixed cassette toilet into them, never mind a genuinely usable shower. The off-the-shelf choice seems to be between a new Wildax Pulsar on a Citroen Relay or a 2ndhand Adria Twin 500S on a Fiat Ducato.

(The current Auto-Sleepers “Symbol” model is 5.413m long and I think the shortest Murvi models have a similar length.)

Thanks again. Yes, it looks like I had my models mixed up - as has been pointed out the Auto-Sleepers Symbol is 5.4m, not 5m, so is probably a non-starter. It's looking more like the Wildax is about the only practical option.

Thanks for the comments about the VW transporter, Brian, although anything based on a transporter is just too small. Actually, we're not looking for 'car-like', since most cars ride hard. ;) One of the things that attracted me to the Symbol was the standard-fit air suspension which will give better ride quality.

And yes, my wife qualifies for a blue badge. We're looking into VAT exemptions etc but it's pretty complex. Something to delve into once we settle on a particular van.

Just a thought: -

Although your drive is only 5m, is it possible to extend the length available by parking either across & diagonally ?

If so, the additional lenght of van, would open up very many more options.

From what you have said, it seems to me that the solution you are looking for may well be VB full air suspension. This is a retro-fit system, so will be costly. It involves completely removing the existing suspension and re fitting air springs front and rear. I have no experience of this, so cannot comment further. However, if you "Google" VB full air suspension uk you should bring up authorised fitters who can undertake the work.

The system, if I remember, is French in origin, and has air pumps fitted to pressurise it automatically.

The other variants on air suspension and really air assistance, that augment the existing springs by adding air bellows to the existing leaf and coil springs. This is what Auto Sleepers fit to Symbol. This can be beneficial, but seems to me unlikely to give a ride of the same quality as the full air system.

Since the system would be retro fitted it can, in principle, be fitted to any SEVEL variant and of Fiat, Peugeot, or Citroen branding. Not sure where that might leave warranty issues, but doubtless all can be explained!

Shortyvan - 2019-06-05 1:09 PM

Thanks again. Yes, it looks like I had my models mixed up - as has been pointed out the Auto-Sleepers Symbol is 5.4m, not 5m, so is probably a non-starter. It's looking more like the Wildax is about the only practical option.

Thanks for the comments about the VW transporter, Brian, although anything based on a transporter is just too small. Actually, we're not looking for 'car-like', since most cars ride hard. ;) One of the things that attracted me to the Symbol was the standard-fit air suspension which will give better ride quality.

And yes, my wife qualifies for a blue badge. We're looking into VAT exemptions etc but it's pretty complex. Something to delve into once we settle on a particular van.

How about a Hymercar Sydney at sub 5m long in pop-top guise. Here's the relevant link for you:

https://www.adventurelv.com/used-motorhome-hymercar-sydney-sydney-60-ed-1984

Archived