LHD Imports do you have to change Headlights,speedo etc

icdsun

Guest JudgeMental

I am sure I read on another thread elsewhere a little time ago, that European head lights just dip downwards so no need for beam benders.

can anyone confirm this either way.

Have contacted formula 4x4 and they supply protectors for the new transit so will go for these - although where will I get LHD beam benders?

So far as I know, this is an "urban myth".  All vehicles supplied in UK have "European headlamps", which is to say they are made to comply with the same lighting standards as those for other European countries.

The only difference is that ours dip left, whereas theirs dip right.  That is to say the dipped beam is configured with an extended range on the nearside, to better illuminate roadside obstructions, pedestrians, cyclists etc, with minimal dazzle for oncoming traffic.

The exception is the American dipped beam, which seems to be much flatter and which, if correctly aligned, is acceptable for registration/MoT purposes on vehicles imported from America.

If you do a lot of driving after dark in mainland Europe it is better, overall, to get a set of right dipping lamps.  More expensive that masks, of course, but you do get the better beam for your money. 

However, if you only drive with the dips on during the day, or just in tunnels, or when it is raining, snowing, dull or foggy, then stick to the masks, since the main objective under those conditions is being seen, not seeing, and the beam pattern is largely irrelevant.

Mel

I told the sales guy where he needed to be on price against an import and got to within £900 of the dealers in Germany, so with all the option upgrades etc we would need on the German sourced MH it was close enough not to worry about for us, on some other models there was still a considerable difference, as you pointed out 3-4000, we negotiated on a no part ex price, once we knew where he would go to on price we told him we needed to trade in our caravan to complete the deal, he took it in part ex giving us a very good price, the cost to change was where we wanted it to be so we done the deal on the day.

The dealer's still making money albeit less than he would have hoped for but he has another unit towards his annual rebate etc, but if the numbers did'nt work for us I would import as the general savings are considerable as you all know.

Off topic, we took some time out to look at some of the British makes and we were very disappointed in the build quality compared to the European makers, it seems that they have no real desire to improve quality as some of the examples that we saw were very poorly finished.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
Just coming into this from fresh so to speak. Who has the responsibility for ensuring compliance when registering an imported MH. In my case the dealer is handling the registration of my LHD imported MH purchased from a UK dealer. Is it their responsibility to ensure the vehicle meets the UK regs when they register it (presumably on my behalf)? I'm worried now as I'm buying a Dethleff from Brownhills that they now tell me was imported and needs to be "registered" :'(

From the research I had done and the knowledge gained from this forum and numerous discussions with DVLA, and other government agencies it is the legal responsibility of the person/business declaring that the new vehicle complies with the relevant and current UK Construction and Use regulations.

NEW

Main Items

Speedo to be able to be read in MPH including the illuminescence of the figures if using a overlay, rear foglight central or fitted to offside rear of vehicle, headlights to be adjusted to UK spec, usually a small arrow on the lens pointing to nearside is the correct lens formation.

Used LHD

Headlights are checked on a MOT and are allowed to be fitted with a beam bender, Foglight must be fitted as above or that will fail, speedo is not an MOT item.

If the vehicle is not in compliance with the UK C+U regs you may find your insurance is invalid should you need to claim, I got that reply from 3 insurance companies that I asked the question of, as usual they will take your money but would in all likelihood deny a claim.

Get the dealer to give you written confirmation that the vehicle will be in accordance with the UK C+U regulations and all necessary modifications will be done, and before you pay check that the items above do comply.

Hope you enjoy your new MH, we have to wait till July for ours.

Chris

Hi all, well I drive a LHD z3m, its from germany, and its on LHD lights, KPH etc. goes in and out of MOT,s N/P and as done for the past 6 years, the insurrance company knows the spec of the car and are OK with that, on my part I have marked the speedo at 30mph and 50mph and 70mph.

I think the think is that mot stations are now linked to the DVLC and controls are getting a bit hotter. As the car will be going to france this year I will not need to worry about it being LHD etc again. But I have seen motorhomes with light defectors on and was told thats OK for the MOT,

I know its odd, just outside bristol there are the jap car auctions and all their cars need new headlights, speedo cards etc to get a reg number. I imported my landrover 110 into the UK and got an MOT on the chassis number,being a landy it was easy to ajust the headlights, but I never did and it still pased.

All in all, no matter what the DVLA say about MOT,s etc its all about the man on the day, always was and always will be.

terry

Archived