Twin Bed, low profile, Transit based Motorhome.

Wasnt Me

Please can anyone recommend models?

Ideally no longer than 7.5 metre, drop down bed in the front and twin beds.

Sensible budget please no more that 50k. (Not that this is sensible really)

Oh European spec too, I.e door on drivers side.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

I think the only motorhome manufacturers currently/recently building ‘coachbuilt’ models on a Ford Transit base are

Benimar

Challenger/Chausson

CI

Roller Team

and I’m pretty sure none of those models would execeed your 7.5m maximum.

They will all be designed to be sold in Continental-Europe with a maximum overall weight of 3500kg and the chassis will be front-wheel-drive. I think no motorhome manufacturer has built in recent years a Transit-based coachbuilt model with rear-wheel-drive and a twinned-wheel rear axle, so - if you want a ‘biggie’ - you’ll need to be VERY careful about payload.

Great thanks for the responses, I will look.

Probably not ready to change for a year or two tbh.

I would be looking for something that can be updated from 3500kg, as travelling light is hard with 2 growing kids and a dog. Oh and a bike collection. I believe some of the Chausson's are ok to uprate.

I would like a European as they seem to be built well and better value, than British. We have been happy with the current van.

Thanks again.

Rimor ceased building on a Ford Transit base in (I think) 2012, opting for a Renault chassis instead.

Current manufacturers of Ford Transit-based ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes are those I listed above. The last UK converter to build ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes on a Transit chassis was Auto-Sleepers and that would have been a decade or so ago.

The Chausson 767GA model has twin single beds and an (optional) drop-down double bed over the lounge.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-chausson-767-ga-titanium-motorhome/979307

According to Chausson’s website its Transit-based motorhomes are available with a maximum overall weight of 4100kg or 3500kg.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-07-27 9:07 AM

The last UK converter to build ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes on a Transit chassis was Auto-Sleepers and that would have been a decade or so ago.

Derek,

IIRC The Auto Trail Tribute coachbuilt range was built on a Transit until four or five years ago before they switched to Fiat. For example the newest model I could find on Autotrader was a 2014.

But obviously UK spec with N/S hab door so no good to the OP.

Keith.

Thanks the Chausson was probably on the list.

I just also read that on Fun, that the Benimar can be uprated to 4000kg. Personally I think the Benimar looks nicer and has a larger more useful garage.

Just need to win the lottery now.

Rimor ceased building on a Ford Transit base in (I think) 2012, opting for a Renault chassis instead.

Current manufacturers of Ford Transit-based ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes are those I listed above. The last UK converter to build ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes on a Transit chassis was Auto-Sleepers and that would have been a decade or so ago.

The Chausson 767GA model has twin single beds and an (optional) drop-down double bed over the lounge.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-chausson-767-ga-titanium-motorhome/979307

According to Chausson’s website its Transit-based motorhomes are available with a maximum overall weight of 4100kg or 3500kg.

Keithl - 2019-07-27 10:05 AM

The last UK converter to build ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes on a Transit chassis was Auto-Sleepers and that would have been a decade or so ago.

Derek,

IIRC The Auto Trail Tribute coachbuilt range was built on a Transit until four or five years ago before they switched to Fiat. For example the newest model I could find on Autotrader was a 2014.

But obviously UK spec with N/S hab door so no good to the OP.

Keith.

I’d forgotten about the Ford-based Tributes and I had in mind rear-wheel-drive to obtain adequate payload.

(I don’t think the single and drop-down beds requirement could be met either.)

Wasn't Me - 2019-07-25 10:16 PM

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

There is also a very similar, but shorter (6.99M) variant to the 747GA, the 627GA. Both are also available in the (cheaper) Welcome range. Both optionally available on 4.1 tonne chassis (the payloads do look somewhat mean at 3.5 tonnes). Both are optionally available with 130 or 170 HP engines. Both optionally available with the Ford 6 speed auto box. The central drop-down bed is an optional extra on both. The standard Titanium spec includes a lot of what is optional on the Welcome range. Whether the apparent price advantage of the Welcomes survives comparison with the Titaniums after your choice of options is factored in is for you to discover! :-)

If you want the UK O/S habitation door, have a look at the prices in €, and maybe consider a LHD personal import from France - providing you can take delivery before 31 Oct! (I have no idea whether personal imports will continue to be so easy after Brexit). The nearest dealer to a Channel port looks to be Horizon, at Verson, on the D645 just west from Caen.

mgnbuk - 2019-07-27 2:37 PM

"Thanks the Chausson was probably on the list. "

Check out the build quality & research the experiences of other Chausson owners carefully.

Nigel B

(soon to be ex-Chausson owner)

Thanks I already have one and happy with quality.

Brian Kirby - 2019-07-27 4:43 PM

Wasn't Me - 2019-07-25 10:16 PM

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

There is also a very similar, but shorter (6.99M) variant to the 747GA, the 627GA. Both are also available in the (cheaper) Welcome range. Both optionally available on 4.1 tonne chassis (the payloads do look somewhat mean at 3.5 tonnes). Both are optionally available with 130 or 170 HP engines. Both optionally available with the Ford 6 speed auto box. The central drop-down bed is an optional extra on both. The standard Titanium spec includes a lot of what is optional on the Welcome range. Whether the apparent price advantage of the Welcomes survives comparison with the Titaniums after your choice of options is factored in is for you to discover! :-)

If you want the UK O/S habitation door, have a look at the prices in €, and maybe consider a LHD personal import from France - providing you can take delivery before 31 Oct! (I have no idea whether personal imports will continue to be so easy after Brexit). The nearest dealer to a Channel port looks to be Horizon, at Verson, on the D645 just west from Caen.

Thanks Brian I won't be buying a LHD nor importing one. It is more likely I will buy used in a year or 2.

Just wanted to have an idea of what I might be looking at.

Everyone has been very helpful as usual. :-D

Archived